2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-mi ... /10505777/

With more and more mostly reliable sites now relaying a similar story the chances it's still fake are lower, though I doubt the entirety of the drop in form is due to this reason only. Also, Nugnes (take this and the quote below with a grain of salt) says there will be a new front wing for Singapore.

The FIA ​​did not have the means to declare mobile wings illegal, because they complied with the rules in static checks. The federal technical commissioners, then, clung to a possible violation of article 3.2. 2 of the F1 Technical Regulations which reads: “All the aerodynamic or bodywork components which influence the aerodynamic performance of the car must be rigidly fixed and immovable with respect to their reference framework defined in article 3.3. Furthermore, these components must have a uniform, solid, hard, continuous, impermeable surface under all circumstances".

Through this paragraph of the regulation, the FIA ​​began to move and in the line-up the team that paid the most for the federal intervention was Aston Martin which saw part of the work done in the wind tunnel "thrown away" in the first six months when they could benefit from more hours in the wind tunnel having finished the 2022 season far behind in the team rankings.

Therefore, the slowdown in the development of the AMR23 after it was "recommended" to change the design of the mobile flap supports should not come as a surprise. In particular, there are those who believe that the bracket indicated by the blue arrow near the nose was also designed to reproduce a vortex similar to the Y250 that was well known on single-seaters until 2021. It could be...

The Aston Martin aerodynamicists are working to propose a solution that respects the new constraints, but restores the competitiveness that seemed lost to the "verdona"...
For any long time Fernando fan, FIA screwing him is nothing new so it doesn't surprise me if true.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 21:02
I'll try to support Lance and say that he's not doing that bad a job as stats would initially show, he's had more bad luck than Fernando over the season plus the hand thing, though it's true that can't be an excuse forever. I hope next season he's closer from the start so there's not that big of a disparity and the team can score more points, because while Fernando should lead the team as long as he's there, it wouldn't hurt if Lance had finished more consistently in decent points.

Why is the official F1 account posting this? Why has there been so much focus on Stroll's lack of comparative performance when Perez and Piastri are being similarly out performed? Stroll has had genuine bad luck which make it look worse than it is. Its reasons like this that I give some credence to the rumors that FOM wants a younger driver to replace Fernando.

Zynerji

peewon wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 01:43
KimiRai wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 21:02
I'll try to support Lance and say that he's not doing that bad a job as stats would initially show, he's had more bad luck than Fernando over the season plus the hand thing, though it's true that can't be an excuse forever. I hope next season he's closer from the start so there's not that big of a disparity and the team can score more points, because while Fernando should lead the team as long as he's there, it wouldn't hurt if Lance had finished more consistently in decent points.

Why is the official F1 account posting this? Why has there been so much focus on Stroll's lack of comparative performance when Perez and Piastri are being similarly out performed? Stroll has had genuine bad luck which make it look worse than it is. Its reasons like this that I give some credence to the rumors that FOM wants a younger driver to replace Fernando.
Meh. News is always like this during the break... 🙄

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

peewon wrote:
There is nothing malicious about it. They did post other teammates:

Here is Perez:

Also I'm not sure I understand your point about FOM wanting a younger driver to replace Alonso. At least I don't understand the connection to a post showing Alonso's dominance in the teammate rivalry. If any conspiracy at all, it would support FOM trying to get rid of Stroll (but we know that won't happen).
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 01:55
Also I'm not sure I understand your point about FOM wanting a younger driver to replace Alonso. At least I don't understand the connection to a post showing Alonso's dominance in the teammate rivalry. If any conspiracy at all, it would support FOM trying to get rid of Stroll (but we know that won't happen).
That likely was due to me sharing what a person said but I doubt it's that important anyways, even if some in F1 wanted to replace Fernando (I have the personal belief that there's always been people that never liked him there or else some things are difficult to explain) I doubt they could do anything really.

Also the Stroll being replaced rumours, while no one has a crystal ball obviously and we don't know what the future holds, are difficult to believe. I read Crofty saying he's going to stop driving soon but if you analyze even Fernando's previous comments, such as him helping the team in any way he can these years to then let Lance continue after him would point to that not being the case.
Last edited by KimiRai on 09 Aug 2023, 05:12, edited 2 times in total.

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 01:55
peewon wrote:
There is nothing malicious about it. They did post other teammates:

Here is Perez:

If you dig into Lawrence's history of protecting his son's image, it makes sense. Apparently he denied seats to Lando and Russell from his F2 team so that they don't outshine Lance's performance. This is after Lance was already in F1, making it extremely petty if true.

There been an abusrd amount of commentary on how badly Lance is doing. Multiple podcasts and articles on it too. Most of them don't mention a lot of circumstances that exasperated the gap. Or the fact that Lance was not that far off from Vettel which means either Vettel is massively overrated or there's some mitigating circumstances this year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

peewon wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 04:31

If you dig into Lawrence's history of protecting his son's image, it makes sense. Apparently he denied seats to Lando and Russell from his F2 team so that they don't outshine Lance's performance. This is after Lance was already in F1, making it extremely petty if true.

There been an abusrd amount of commentary on how badly Lance is doing. Multiple podcasts and articles on it too. Most of them don't mention a lot of circumstances that exasperated the gap. Or the fact that Lance was not that far off from Vettel which means either Vettel is massively overrated or there's some mitigating circumstances this year.
Just to be clear, which driver are you saying that FOM wants removed? Lance? or Alonso?

Your first post said Alonso. I don't understand why a post from an FOM entity about Alonso's dominance over Stroll, would mean that FOM wants Alonso gone.

Are you saying FOM wants Stroll gone? I am missing something critical here :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:

Mike Krack mentioned something similar, along the lines that they know the real story inside the team instead of what the championship table shows. While that certainly has a part of covering Stroll's back, coming from Alpine's 2022 season you definitely learn the championship table is not the most exact parameter of driver ability between teammates due to factors such as reliability and general bad luck. Though even if we accounted for bad luck, Fernando's and Lance's points difference would likely still be around a 2:1 ratio, which is significant when it becomes big amounts of points rather than what a backmarker team would have for example.

I'm of the opinion Fernando is definitely better than Vettel (doesn't mean he isn't great of course!) but there are also some mitigating circumstances such as Lance missing pre-season testing. At the same time you could say it's also Fernando's first season with the team, new procedures and all the rest.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 05:24
peewon wrote:

Mike Krack mentioned something similar, along the lines that they know the real story inside the team instead of what the championship table shows. While that certainly has a part of covering Stroll's back, coming from Alpine's 2022 season you definitely learn the championship table is not the most exact parameter of driver ability between teammates due to factors such as reliability and general bad luck. Though even if we accounted for bad luck, Fernando's and Lance's points difference would likely still be around a 2:1 ratio, which is significant when it becomes big amounts of points rather than what a backmarker team would have for example.

I'm of the opinion Fernando is definitely better than Vettel (doesn't mean he isn't great of course!) but there are also some mitigating circumstances such as Lance missing pre-season testing. Though on the other side you could say it's also Fernando's first season with the team, new procedures and all the rest.
Krack is right in this instance and will almost always defend Lance anyway. The problem is whether Lawrence's ego will withstand Lance being bashed in the media constantly if hes getting demolished by Fernando.

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 04:36
peewon wrote:

Just to be clear, which driver are you saying that FOM wants removed? Lance? or Alonso?

Your first post said Alonso. I don't understand why a post from an FOM entity about Alonso's dominance over Stroll, would mean that FOM wants Alonso gone.

Are you saying FOM wants Stroll gone? I am missing something critical here :lol:
Well FOM cant directly remove a driver although they've been known to urge or incentivize teams to take certain people and there's much more of a hidden hand directing driver movement than I had previously realized. Which makes sense since personalities drive the sport and we've already seen the direction its going post Netflix.

The theory here is that constant criticism of Lance will play on Lawrence's ego and might force Lawrence to move on from if Alonso that comparison is making Lance look pedestrian.

diffuser

I think this whole FOM thing is BS, a $10 Million discount on a driver isn't enough to sway Stroll. This isn't Alpine, Haas, Williams or Alpha Tauri.

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 22:59

With more and more mostly reliable sites now relaying a similar story the chances it's still fake are lower, though I doubt the entirety of the drop in form is due to this reason only. Also, Nugnes (take this and the quote below with a grain of sa<<lt) says there will be a new front wing for Singapore.
It's just the italian edition of motorsport network (including autosport for example), not a new source.

SiLo

KimiRai wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 22:59

With more and more mostly reliable sites now relaying a similar story the chances it's still fake are lower, though I doubt the entirety of the drop in form is due to this reason only. Also, Nugnes (take this and the quote below with a grain of salt) says there will be a new front wing for Singapore.

The FIA ​​did not have the means to declare mobile wings illegal, because they complied with the rules in static checks. The federal technical commissioners, then, clung to a possible violation of article 3.2. 2 of the F1 Technical Regulations which reads: “All the aerodynamic or bodywork components which influence the aerodynamic performance of the car must be rigidly fixed and immovable with respect to their reference framework defined in article 3.3. Furthermore, these components must have a uniform, solid, hard, continuous, impermeable surface under all circumstances".

Through this paragraph of the regulation, the FIA ​​began to move and in the line-up the team that paid the most for the federal intervention was Aston Martin which saw part of the work done in the wind tunnel "thrown away" in the first six months when they could benefit from more hours in the wind tunnel having finished the 2022 season far behind in the team rankings.

Therefore, the slowdown in the development of the AMR23 after it was "recommended" to change the design of the mobile flap supports should not come as a surprise. In particular, there are those who believe that the bracket indicated by the blue arrow near the nose was also designed to reproduce a vortex similar to the Y250 that was well known on single-seaters until 2021. It could be...

The Aston Martin aerodynamicists are working to propose a solution that respects the new constraints, but restores the competitiveness that seemed lost to the "verdona"...
For any long time Fernando fan, FIA screwing him is nothing new so it doesn't surprise me if true.
So it might have been not only vertical movement, but horizontal movement as well. Basically the wing tip pulling down to the ground pulls that join apart to create a larger gap where you might be able to generate two vortices instead of one.
Felipe Baby!

issey
issey

That makes a lot of sense to me

diffuser

issey wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 18:51
That makes a lot of sense to me
Typically, when teams do something that is in the "grey area" of the rules, they ask the FIA in advance. I wonder if this is one of those times where the FIA initially gave a thumbs up that later got challenges from other teams and reversed their decision?