2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:34
Here is the gap between lewis and George at the start of the lap.

https://i.ibb.co/BjQtFz0/gap.png
As I said... Lewis was clearly faster on this stint

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:27
Spoutnik wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:08
ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:03

I think russel had the better race and qualy setup. He just doesnt use it well.
To be fair to him, hamilton was not that much quicker. The 5 second gap came down because leclerc was blocking russel. So leclerc was the bottleneck. Lewis knew this and took his time to chip away at the gap to russel without damaging his tyres. Just better race management. Then he applied pressure and sat there waiting for an error. Classic hamilton.
Seen this many times. Worked on Vettel, Webber, Bottas and Nico quite well and also on Max.
I tend to disagree.
I think Russell was faster all weekend. And his mindset was on the win for sure.
But I do think Lewis was faster on the last stint.
He closed the gap (3.9 to 2.5 IIRC) before Russell even got into Leclerc' gearbox.
And we saw his lines etc, and the way he was able to put pressure on George (more than George against Nando).
Lewis has just got more experience and ofc his raw talent, I think the last stint and his "mature" race management showed it today.

Still he bring the points for the team to stay ahead of Ferrari in the WCC. And he overtake Alonso in the WDC.
It was 5.2 at most actually. The first lap out of the box, Hamilton was quite a bit slower than George, likely to bring the tyres in. Then it was no contest.

We don’t know who was quicker in the first stint due to heavy management and traffic. We actually seldom see them on the same terms in the races since one of them is usually on an alternate strategy or stuck in traffic.

But Hamilton needs to get his act together in Q. Would have been a win today if he had. This was likely the last chance for a win for Merc this season, since we now go back to Red Bull domination again.
I think there should be a chance in Brazil and another in Mexico

PlatinumZealot

Luscion wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:29
Lewis talking about him needing to do better in quali and that he will.

Very ominous. The man is not even at 100% of his capabilities this year and its refreshing that he identifies his personal performance as the issue in qualifying and is actively working on it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

dans79 wrote:

Maybe he should have been let past with that pace.
But it's a catch 22 for lewis to outqualify russel. Russel sets up for qualifying just like Nico and Bottas did. He is a quick driver so Hamilton can only ensure he outqualifies russel if he has goes for a qualy setup... and then that doesnt bring him a race win.
So Lewis needs to find a sweetspot between qualy and race that is quicker than Russel with his banzai setups.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:48
dans79 wrote:

Maybe he should have been let past with that pace.
But it's a catch 22 for lewis to outqualify russel. Russel sets up for qualifying just like Nico and Bottas did. He is a quick driver so Hamilton can only ensure he outqualifies russel if he has goes for a qualy setup... and then that doesnt bring him a race win.
So Lewis needs to find a sweetspot between qualy and race that is quicker than Russel with his banzai setups.
As much I'd have loved to see Lewis win today, I'm not in the "let him pass" camp when there isn't a title at stake. Or, if you do let him by, he gives it back if he can't make the move ahead stick - just as Merc did in Hungary when Lewis let Bottas retake the place at the end of the race. And at Singapore at the very end of the race, there really isn't much scope to play that game.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

I just don't buy that Lewis voluntarily opted for a race setup. Why on earth would you opt for a race setup around Singapore? Makes zero sense. I think he is still searching for the ideal setup with this car. That would be more accurate in my view.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

I think the qualy setup is a non-thing really. Makes no sense to do that. Credit should go where credit is due, George simply did a much better job than Hamilton on Saturday and should be applauded for it. Hamilton will need to address this to make it easier for himself going forward.

ringo

I think George is that good. Lewis has to dig deep to beat him in qualy. The age has an impact no matter what lewis says. And his vegan diet will simply take away any natural aggression and brain sharpness that animals get from eating other animal protein.

On another note. Can Lewis catch Perez in the standings?
For Sure!!

dans79

Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:53
I think the qualy setup is a non-thing really. Makes no sense to do that.
It does on a track where you need a huge delta to pass...............
201 105 104 9 9 7

Luscion
Luscion

Apparently Russell is pretty bummed out

dans79

Also Merc should have told the FIA to pound sand about giving the place back to Norris!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:57
I think George is that good. Lewis has to dig deep to beat him in qualy. The age has an impact no matter what lewis says. And his vegan diet will simply take away any natural aggression and brain sharpness that animals get from eating other animal protein.

On another note. Can Lewis catch Perez in the standings?
Ofc he's an incredible qualifier on his day.
But you are right, Lewis is just losing a bit off pace in qualy these days, even Bottas beat him quite often if you remember. Lewis was just too fast on race day (like against Russell).

No matter what we think about him he will be really really difficult to replace for Merc. His maximization his unreal this season, now he's ahead of Alonso, 5th podium this season, finished every race, and in the points every race, and ofc there's the technical side but we can't say much about it

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:00
Tvetovnato wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:53
I think the qualy setup is a non-thing really. Makes no sense to do that.
It does on a track where you need a huge delta to pass...............
Yes, but I’m thinking between the Merc drivers, that there should not be much difference in that sense. Nothing that has been mentioned anyway.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:03
Also Merc should have told the FIA to pound sand about giving the place back to Norris!
https://i.ibb.co/r7B5XtR/Lewis-past-Norris.gif
My thought as well when I saw it. George was a slam dunk of having to ceede the position, but he was ahead of Norris and would have made the corner without George on the inside.

dans79

Spoutnik wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:08
finished every race, and in the points every race,
Yep, he is the only driver besides Max to do this!
201 105 104 9 9 7