2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

ringo wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 02:48
No hamilton did not pass perez off track. Perez as usual doesnt give enough room and hamilton made sure to avoid him.
It's best to avoid damaging your car and thats what keeps hamilton scoring points every race.
Watch the replays from Perez's car. Perez left room and Hamilton gasses it to the opposite side of the curb anyway in order to gain the lead into the next right hander.

ringo

Why not look on another video from outside the car?
There is a reason why the stewards didnt even care to look on it.
For Sure!!

trinidefender
trinidefender

Maybe this is the how the stewards got back at Hamilton for punting Piastri off the track at Monza......ok jokes aside...

I keep rewatching the overtake and subsequent corner and this whole thing seems very grey to me and, as evidenced by other people's comments here, it seems I'm not alone in this thinking.

There's a lot of ambiguity over when an overtake is completed. When a car is considered "alongside" for the purposes of if a car is require room either on the inside or outside of a corner etc.

There's so much inconsistency with the FIA race direction and stewarding (the entirety of 2021 for many teams being an example). Unless the FIA really sit down and work out defined concepts as far as what is and isn't allowed then fans will continue to get upset and create a bad image for the sport and rightly so.

As far as this incident goes there can even be the alternate case that Hamilton was well alongside Russel at some point and forced Hamilton off and Russel should have been penalised.

trinidefender
trinidefender

trinidefender wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 03:09
Maybe this is the how the stewards got back at Hamilton for punting Piastri off the track at Monza......ok jokes aside...

I keep rewatching the overtake and subsequent corner and this whole thing seems very grey to me and, as evidenced by other people's comments here, it seems I'm not alone in this thinking.

There's a lot of ambiguity over when an overtake is completed. When a car is considered "alongside" for the purposes of if a car is require room either on the inside or outside of a corner etc.

There's so much inconsistency with the FIA race direction and stewarding (the entirety of 2021 for many teams being an example). Unless the FIA really sit down and work out defined concepts as far as what is and isn't allowed then fans will continue to get upset and create a bad image for the sport and rightly so.

As far as this incident goes there can even be the alternate case that Hamilton was well alongside Russel at some point and forced Hamilton off and Russel should have been penalised.
As a continuation of my point above....

On the other hand if Hamilton wasn't entitled to room and Russel was justified in taking the apex of the corner that meant that Hamilton should have backed out and had he backed out of that move he would then have been neck and neck with Norris going into the next corner as Norris was right behind Russel.

If that's the case then a fair argument can be made that Hamilton did gain an advantage leaving the track and against both Russel and Norris.

Considering he was made to give the place back to Russel, indicating Russel was entitled to the apex, then maybe that was the view taken by Mercedes and the stewards and that's why he was also instructed to give the the place back to Norris.

organic

@trinidefender I'm pretty sure anything pre-2022 shouldn't be looked at for precedent in terms of wheel-to-wheel penalties as they attempted to redefine what is allowed in terms of running others off at the end of 2021 after the Verstappen/Hamilton incidents. Not saying they've done that or whatever

No clue on the Russell/ham/Norris. Too grey for me

randolf
randolf

RZS10 wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 20:37
dialtone wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 17:59
[...] Hamilton’s move was so extreme that I would want to see telemetry of his speed there vs next lap because I think Stewards basically saw that he passed Norris because he had no intention of making the corner.

I’m not saying he wasn’t going to make it but his speed was high and he just went straight very quickly after George allegedly pushed him.
If you check the far offboard replay which was posted here as a gif you can see that Hamilton seemingly had no overspeed relative to Russell from a certain point onwards, he was very likely capable of making the corner whilst already having completed the overtake on Norris.

Arguably the precedent for this move being perfectly fine was Lewis' own team mate in Spain (highlight vid as a refresher if needed)

That was Russell's position relative to Piastri, the only explanation of why Russell did not have to give the position back is that it was deemed he had completed the overtake:
https://i.imgur.com/g0WolyE.png

He bailed before he was actually ran out of road, a bit before the halfway point between apexes:
https://i.imgur.com/9UdTAGF.png

He then went around the bollard and kept the position ahead of Piastri.

And now for comparison:
https://i.imgur.com/3W1YyZq.png
I'm relatively certain Norris has no part of his car alongside of Lewis from this point onward, if Russell was deemed to have completed the overtake on Piastri in Spain, then this is certainly the case here.

From the gif mentioned above: a few frames in which Hamilton's position to Russell doesn't change significantly, the logical conclusion is that he has shed any extra speed and is not going significantly faster than Russell, if at all.
https://i.imgur.com/snFpBij.gif
The consequence of that is that he would have been fully capable of making the corner if given the space.

He then bails before he is actually ran out of road, a bit before the halfway point between apexes:
https://i.imgur.com/zMUfqXR.png

He absolutely had to give the position back to Russell, of course - Norris? Not so sure, but definitely not if the FIA/stewards/race control were consistent.
Adding speed data from F1.

You can see the speeds carried by both drivers. Somone has to help us understand how Lewis planned to make the corner while carrying so much speed.

This is frame by frame every second (or 2). At one point, he had almost 50kph more than George.

First frame is from the point of braking.

Lewis doesn't make the corner and starts to throttle again.

trinidefender
trinidefender

organic wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 04:01
@trinidefender I'm pretty sure anything pre-2022 shouldn't be looked at for precedent in terms of wheel-to-wheel penalties as they attempted to redefine what is allowed in terms of running others off at the end of 2021 after the Verstappen/Hamilton incidents. Not saying they've done that or whatever

I wasn't using using anything pre 2022 as precedent for what is or isn't allowed. I was only using it to show that the FIA has a history of being very inconsistent in its stewarding.

They say they've tried to make it more black and white but to me it seems to me that the progress that's been made is akin to being shot by a small bullet instead of a big bullet. They still have a long way to go to not being shot at all as far as consistency.

Frankly I have little faith in the FIA as an organisation as a whole. From the handling of spygate in 2007 and engine gate in 2019 to the entire season of inconsistent penalties/stewarding of 2021 culminating in that farce of a finale all to avoid a finish under a safety car (I don't blame red bull, they are innocent in that incident) my faith in the FIA has been dissolved. I love the sport in spite of the FIA, not because of it.

Back to the topic at hand, I agree. It's too grey for me to be very confident which way I view the situation.

organic

trinidefender wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 06:39
organic wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 04:01

I wasn't using using anything pre 2022 as precedent for what is or isn't allowed. I was only using it to show that the FIA has a history of being very inconsistent in its stewarding.

They say they've tried to make it more black and white but to me it seems to me that the progress that's been made is akin to being shot by a small bullet instead of a big bullet. They still have a long way to go to not being shot at all as far as consistency.

Frankly I have little faith in the FIA as an organisation as a whole. From the handling of spygate in 2007 and engine gate in 2019 to the entire season of inconsistent penalties/stewarding of 2021 culminating in that farce of a finale all to avoid a finish under a safety car (I don't blame red bull, they are innocent in that incident) my faith in the FIA has been dissolved. I love the sport in spite of the FIA, not because of it.

Back to the topic at hand, I agree. It's too grey for me to be very confident which way I view the situation.
Agree with you on all fronts there. Wasn't trying to contradict you in my first reply just adding some info that I feel is important

basti313
basti313

ringo wrote:
Hamilton was past Norris. And had full control of his car on the track, even following the flank of russel's car with steering inputs.
<personal stuff removed>
Everyone including Hamilton Tot and the team was happy about how the first corner was handled.

He was alongside Norris, when he would have needed to brake. The only reason he came alongside Russel was that he missed the braking point and gained nearly three car length on Russel.
<personal stuff removed>
Don`t russel the hamster!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Class

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

basti313 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 09:04
ringo wrote:
Hamilton was past Norris. And had full control of his car on the track, even following the flank of russel's car with steering inputs.
I am surprised how deep Ham fans are falling. Why do you consistently post nonsense and lies? Everyone including Hamilton Tot and the team was happy about how the first corner was handled.

He was alongside Norris, when he would have needed to brake. The only reason he came alongside Russel was that he missed the braking point and gained nearly three car length on Russel. I do not know why you have to make a story out of this, there is nothing to argue and everything is fine. I am sure Ham does not want guys like you defending him with lies.

Let me use this as a good example of a poor post - sorry basti313 - but bear with me :-o

You can refute the argument ringo is making - and for the record, of course Hamilton chose that outside line and when it was offered he took the run around to gain the places. He is plenty clever enough to know what to do and how to handle his car...right? :-k

However -
"I am surprised how deep Ham fans are falling. Why do you consistently post nonsense and lies? "

It's too personal - calling out Ham fans, and then why do YOU...etc - don't attack the poster, attack the post (if you feel like you want to attack at all)

and " I do not know why you have to make a story out of this, there is nothing to argue and everything is fine. I am sure Ham does not want guys like you defending him"

Does not add to the point you are making, but draws in defence of 'their' driver some more.

I don't think you are trying to bait these people basti - not at all - but it is this little worm on the line that the fish like to come and eat.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

cplchanb
cplchanb

guys lets all take this with a bit of logic... at no point was ham complaining that russell was too slow or to let him take a stab at victory... there were only a few laps left. they both needed to get past 2 cars. could it simply be a case of needing to thread the needle since there is simply no time to pass 1 car at a time? had ham stayed back and let rus pass first he would run out of laps to pass himself. its kinda like the movie Driven where stallone's character was following closely with the protagonist so they could both pass cars together.

honestly this whole thing is taken WAY out of context and completely overblown.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

cplchanb wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:09
guys lets all take this with a bit of logic... at no point was ham complaining that russell was too slow or to let him take a stab at victory... there were only a few laps left. they both needed to get past 2 cars. could it simply be a case of needing to thread the needle since there is simply no time to pass 1 car at a time? had ham stayed back and let rus pass first he would run out of laps to pass himself. its kinda like the movie Driven where stallone's character was following closely with the protagonist so they could both pass cars together.

Yeah, but it's a great excuse to Ham-hate so no surprise to see such effort applied to it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:45
cplchanb wrote:

Yeah, but it's a great excuse to Ham-hate so no surprise to see such effort applied to it.
So - come on JaF - stop throwing the bait #-o
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 16:45
cplchanb wrote:

So - come on JaF - stop throwing the bait #-o
Sorry Mr Mod. :-$ O:)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.