McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Marble
Marble

Re: McLaren MCL60

Very detailed thread with comparative pictures of :

1- Front wing endplate
2- Sidepods
3 - Floor edges
4- SIPS bulge
5- Floor fences
6- Sidepod inlets
7 - Mirrors
8 - Halo furniture
9 - Rear wing
10 - Beam wing

vorticism

𓄀

mclaren111

daren_p
daren_p

From some of the above posted photo's, its hard to be certain with the inlet covers installed but it appears they've also extended the underbit further forward on the update.

Again, need some better photos but it sort of looks like the radius on the leading edge of the floor is larger now.

mwillems

Getting more air to the rear. Quite a bit more.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

The angle makes the change look more extreme, but you can see the shape of the sidepod is wider at the front.

-Bandit

ringo

Yes more open in the centre area as well. It doesnt have that pinched in or flat area by the engine.
For Sure!!

Peter Piper

daren_p wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 16:21
From some of the above posted photo's, its hard to be certain with the inlet covers installed but it appears they've also extended the underbit further forward on the update.

Again, need some better photos but it sort of looks like the radius on the leading edge of the floor is larger now.
Can someone tell me the benefit of that? Is it related to the airflow coming back up when the radiator gets overwhelmed and spoiling the rest of the airflow under the sidepods? In fact, (and I'm basing this on nothing more than feeling...) if you could tune the radiators for this effect at high speed could you ruin the airflow to the back of the car over the side pods and stall the diffusor? Maybe that could give a top speed boost?

mwillems

ringo wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 15:27
Yes more open in the centre area as well. It doesnt have that pinched in or flat area by the engine.
Whilst you can see the car has improved in low speed corners, this particular change appears to be able to benefit the car in all corner profiles. If it is able to allow the car to run a little less wing it might have a minor improvement to Aero efficiency. Less drag for the same DF as the floor DF increases a little.

How much room is available does anyone think, to implement these changes easily, or does it require internal rework to facilitate the new shape? It's a reasonable amount of difference between specs. Specifically talking about the sidepod and not the floor around the SIPS.

-Bandit

MrGapes

monocoque and rear assembly in background

CjC
CjC

Peter Piper wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:28
daren_p wrote:

Can someone tell me the benefit of that? Is it related to the airflow coming back up when the radiator gets overwhelmed and spoiling the rest of the airflow under the sidepods? In fact, (and I'm basing this on nothing more than feeling...) if you could tune the radiators for this effect at high speed could you ruin the airflow to the back of the car over the side pods and stall the diffusor? Maybe that could give a top speed boost?
I know it’s behind a paywall but if you subscribe to F1 anyway this explains the radiator inlet size and position, it also refers to Red Bull latest upgrade to this area which they brought to Hungary
Just a fan's point of view

SiLo

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 11:18
Peter Piper wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:28
daren_p wrote:

I know it’s behind a paywall but if you subscribe to F1 anyway this explains the radiator inlet size and position, it also refers to Red Bull latest upgrade to this area which they brought to Hungary
I think it's about having more air and thus, more pressure above the floor to help create low pressure under it.
Felipe Baby!

CjC
CjC

Sorry people- I forgot to post the link! :lol:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ZIoCK.html
Just a fan's point of view

ANDY238
ANDY238