2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rijtuig
rijtuig

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

These new generation cry about everything. There is nothing with pushing your team mate, hell, I'd like to be pushed too if I am lacking 'n slacking.

Pick up the pace or move aside.
Last edited by Steven on 10 Feb 2024, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut foul language

TFSA

Just_a_fan wrote:
ringo wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 22:39
And what's the problem with asking to pick up the pace?
Ferrari's leclerc and Sainz do it almost every race at each others expense.
It's all Hamilton's fault, or something.

Anyway, he said "George needs to pick up the pace if he can". And those three little words don't get quoted by those choosing to use the episode as evidence of some malpractice by Hamilton. As if Hamilton saying something to his engineer suddenly affects Russell in the other car.

It's just another attempt to "have a go" at Hamilton. It's what this thread appears to exist for, judging by so many of the posts in here.
1) I quoted it from memory. Missing the last 3 words weren't deliberate.

2) I never accused Hamilton of malpractice. Pointing out that the poster i quoted is wrong (which he was, because even with the full quote, what Hamilton did still counts as complaining that George was slow) isn't the same as accusing Hamilton of any wrongdoing. If Hamilton thinks Russell is slow, he's perfectly entitled to point that out on the radio to his team. I never said otherwise. All i did was add information.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:36
ringo wrote:

Anyway, he said "George needs to pick up the pace if he can". And those three little words don't get quoted by those choosing to use the episode as evidence of some malpractice by Hamilton. As if Hamilton saying something to his engineer suddenly affects Russell in the other car.

It's just another attempt to "have a go" at Hamilton. It's what this thread appears to exist for, judging by so many of the posts in here.
That's just normal requests over the radio, one driver requesting the other driver picks up the pace. I dislike the hate directed at the drivers, it's getting very toxic. George received death threats from some of the plonkers on twitter from what I saw at the weekend. I really don't get why people are so hard on Lewis, sure he can be arrogant at times but no more so than Max or Alonso.

Astro85
Astro85

Hamilton has admitted he must do better in qualifying, wether he can do that remains to be seen.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

taperoo2k wrote:
21 Sep 2023, 18:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 23:36
ringo wrote:

That's just normal requests over the radio, one driver requesting the other driver picks up the pace. I dislike the hate directed at the drivers, it's getting very toxic. George received death threats from some of the plonkers on twitter from what I saw at the weekend. I really don't get why people are so hard on Lewis, sure he can be arrogant at times but no more so than Max or Alonso.
Quite so. Standard driver fare. Unless you happen to be one driver, of course, at which point...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Shovlin says lack of front in some places, and lack of rear in others during FP1. Says they expect to put everything right with simulation tools and FP2/FP3.

Astro85
Astro85

Russell looking to have the measure again this weekend, terrible pace from the car.

j_ste
j_ste

Yikes.

In terms of one lap pace. This is the most Lewis has struggled with the car in these past two years.

Mr5in1

Could it be they set the car up with the race in mind i.e. protecting the tyres, I recall at Silverstone (similar track requirements) they weren't anywhere in practice as they played about with race set up, but looked ok in the race.

organic

Shovlin on Friday practice:
We've certainly been on the back foot today: both FP1 and FP2 proved tricky sessions for us. Both drivers reported struggling with an overall lack of grip and the balance of the car.

We made some changes ahead of the second session and gained some useful learnings from that. However, we know we must make improvements overnight.

We are clearly not strong enough in the faster corners, with the first sector proving a particular weakness for us. That’s where the majority of our work will be focused this evening.

George did find some improvement on the single lap in FP2, but we are facing the same challenges on both our qualifying pace and the long run. In a sense that is encouraging. If we can fix one, the other should improve too. However, we are not underestimating the work we’ve got to do to be stronger over the rest of the weekend.

organic

I think they will recover and be 4th quickest and fight the slower McLaren/Ferrari

Lewis Hamilton:
It was a very challenging day for us out there. I had a lack of confidence in the car and that contributed to our struggles. It was difficult to find the right balance and we didn't manage to get on top of it by the end of FP2.

The tyres were overheating and that left us quite far off the top of the timing sheets. We know we've got a lot of work to do tonight to pick up the performance. I do believe we can make improvements though.

We have had similar Friday's this season and come back stronger on Saturday. We will see tomorrow if we have done so again. We will be putting in the effort this evening to give us every chance of getting ourselves higher up the order.

j_ste
j_ste

When you look at the throttle usage...Lewis is lifting so much more through the obvious corners. Which makes sense considering his continued lack of confidence in the rear of the car.

2024 cant come soon enough

randolf
randolf

IIRC the recent major upgrade was bolted in the car, more specifically to help Lewis as Shovlin claimed isn't it? Why is he still struggling?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I expect the car to be strong here. Let's see what happens over night.