2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 18:33
I wonder how this car will fare in Qatar.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... il.svg.png
By current trend Mclaren will be ahead, Ferrari will fight Mercedes.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Vinlarr89 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 21:36
As much as I think Ferrari have made some strange calls, so too have Mercedes. Not sure why George keeps trying to go for these 1 stop strategies, he seems to always be wanting to stretch his stints claiming he has no deg, but at the same time lapping slow.

Ferrari need to realise they are over performing for their car. That’s clear, because the mclaren is clearly the new no2 looking at the way it sailed up the road today
It is where the insecurities of Russell/Sainz shows up. They are always trying to do something different from their team mates when they are behind in the hope that they can beat them through "strategy"/luck. The few times they succeed, they appear as strategic masterminds. But it is more likely that they screw up their team's optimal result by doing this, like Sainz a lot of times last year and Russell this year. Both Mercedes and Ferrari will need to put their foot down and completely back one driver if they are in championship contention next year.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Spoutnik wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 22:23
Vinlarr89 wrote:
As much as I think Ferrari have made some strange calls, so too have Mercedes. Not sure why George keeps trying to go for these 1 stop strategies, he seems to always be wanting to stretch his stints claiming he has no deg, but at the same time lapping slow.

Ferrari need to realise they are over performing for their car. That’s clear, because the mclaren is clearly the new no2 looking at the way it sailed up the road today
I don't think they are overperforming the car. They're 3rd in the WCC and as I mentionned in an earlier post without Hamilton's consistency and Ferrari mistakes/DNFs the would easily be 2nd in the WCC.

McLaren is 2nd faster only on specific tracks. McLaren weren't the 2nd fastest (or the fastest given RB woes) at Singapore. They weren't at Monza due to the nature of the track, neither at Spa.
I can add Zandvoort to this list.

Ofc some of the tracks remaining will not favour/play into SF23 strenght, but Ferrari will be strong on others (i.e Abu Dhabi).
McL has done another huge jump with the last upgrade package. They improved a lot in straight line speed (without losing DWF) and also in low speed corners, in fact they were super competitive in Singapore.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 10:25
Spoutnik wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 22:23
Vinlarr89 wrote:

I don't think they are overperforming the car. They're 3rd in the WCC and as I mentionned in an earlier post without Hamilton's consistency and Ferrari mistakes/DNFs the would easily be 2nd in the WCC.

McLaren is 2nd faster only on specific tracks. McLaren weren't the 2nd fastest (or the fastest given RB woes) at Singapore. They weren't at Monza due to the nature of the track, neither at Spa.
I can add Zandvoort to this list.

Ofc some of the tracks remaining will not favour/play into SF23 strenght, but Ferrari will be strong on others (i.e Abu Dhabi).
McL has done another huge jump with the last upgrade package. They improved a lot in straight line speed (without losing DWF) and also in low speed corners, in fact they were super competitive in Singapore.
Monza was before Singapore, of course, but on this track McL were far off while Ferrari was clear 2nd best.
At Marina Bay, both Ferrari outpaced Norris in qualy. In race we don't know because it's a street track.
I think McL are obviously much faster on more technical track (they were already at Silverstone), they were at Suzuka of course.

Nevertheless i) Ferrari was much much slower at Silverstone relative to McL compared to Suzuka : the car has improved on such track, at the beginning of the season both cars would've fight with Alonso and the Alpine on such a track ii) I strongly believe this car is second best on "start & stop" tracks. In fact this car has been on pole 3 times. Amongst the tracks remaining I think with the "new layout" Abu Dhabi will be one of the strongest track for Ferrari this year.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Sphere3758 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 09:56
Vinlarr89 wrote:

It is where the insecurities of Russell/Sainz shows up. They are always trying to do something different from their team mates when they are behind in the hope that they can beat them through "strategy"/luck. The few times they succeed, they appear as strategic masterminds. But it is more likely that they screw up their team's optimal result by doing this, like Sainz a lot of times last year and Russell this year. Both Mercedes and Ferrari will need to put their foot down and completely back one driver if they are in championship contention next year.
At least Sainz can argue that this year he's ahead in the WDC, he needs a new statut etc (even if, imo, Charles had better pace than him overall this year) while Russell is 75 pts behind Hamilton in the WDC and in a Stroll position let's say (if he was closer to Hamilton 2nd in the WCC would be secured for Merc).

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:

It will be quite decent I think, based on the Q performance in S2 and S3 in Japan it should be ahead of McLaren in Q which might be very important for the race. The only place where it lost ground to McLaren in Suzuka were Esses, the rest of the lap Leclerc was catching up to them, so I get why he said he will be surprised if McLaren is still ahead in Qatar. It will be close, but I think front row in Q is possible.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Spoutnik wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 10:54
Sphere3758 wrote:
Vinlarr89 wrote:

At least Sainz can argue that this year he's ahead in the WDC, he needs a new statut etc (even if, imo, Charles had better pace than him overall this year) while Russell is 75 pts behind Hamilton in the WDC and in a Stroll position let's say (if he was closer to Hamilton 2nd in the WCC would be secured for Merc).
Fair point about Sainz, but I think it is trickier at Mercedes. Russell is their chosen one for the future, they cannot antagonize him too much as he might lose confidence in the team. They can only do that if they have the atmost confidence in Kimi Antonelli being the next big thing in F1.

The decision is far easier for Ferrari tbh. Sainz is not being sought by any top team, his only real option is Audi which is a complete unknown. It is hard enough to beat Max Verstappen even with equal cars, should be a no brainer for Ferrari to not add additional roadblocks in Leclerc's way and make his life at the team easier.

Xyz22
Xyz22

A positive thing: minus 6 races till we get rid of this terrible car.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Sphere3758 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:14
Spoutnik wrote:
Sphere3758 wrote:

Fair point about Sainz, but I think it is trickier at Mercedes. Russell is their chosen one for the future, they cannot antagonize him too much as he might lose confidence in the team. They can only do that if they have the atmost confidence in Kimi Antonelli being the next big thing in F1.

The decision is far easier for Ferrari tbh. Sainz is not being sought by any top team, his only real option is Audi which is a complete unknown. It is hard enough to beat Max Verstappen even with equal cars, should be a no brainer for Ferrari to not add additional roadblocks in Leclerc's way and make his life at the team easier.
Even if he's the future it's Hamilton who brings the point at the moment. Merc would probably end up in 4th place without Hamilton's consistency because McLaren is scoring a lot now.
About Sainz I think it's the usual politics at Ferrari and Sainz has a lot of political power with Santander + his father.
Leclerc hadn't the best of luck this year and he had a few bozo race when the car was really handful to drive and he didn't win at Singapore. Now he's 15 points behind Sainz. But it's 2021 all over again, or let's say 2022 Russell vs Hamilton. There's the sort term and the medium term. Leclerc is pure talent. I also think despite all the issues I mentioned earlier which led him to be 15 pts behind Sainz he will finish ahead of him in the standings.
As you said Ferrari should take the easy road to beat Max. Even in this scenario it's not impossible for Sainz to win a Championship in a Raikkonen/Massa situation.

codetower

Spoutnik wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 14:01
Sphere3758 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:14
Spoutnik wrote:

Even if he's the future it's Hamilton who brings the point at the moment. Merc would probably end up in 4th place without Hamilton's consistency because McLaren is scoring a lot now.
About Sainz I think it's the usual politics at Ferrari and Sainz has a lot of political power with Santander + his father.
Leclerc hadn't the best of luck this year and he had a few bozo race when the car was really handful to drive and he didn't win at Singapore. Now he's 15 points behind Sainz. But it's 2021 all over again, or let's say 2022 Russell vs Hamilton. There's the sort term and the medium term. Leclerc is pure talent. I also think despite all the issues I mentioned earlier which led him to be 15 pts behind Sainz he will finish ahead of him in the standings.
As you said Ferrari should take the easy road to beat Max. Even in this scenario it's not impossible for Sainz to win a Championship in a Raikkonen/Massa situation.
Not only Ferrari politics and Santander, but the Spanish media as well (OK, maybe also influenced by Santander). All season they've been posting comments about how Sainz has been getting the bad calls in order to favor Leclerc. The latest one from Marca is that he was "sacrificed" to help Charles in Japan, in particular by not following Hamiltons second pitstop... which was actually Carlos' call, but they don't mention that. All of this is just adding more unnecessary pressure on the team, and further dividing the fans.

As good as both drivers are I think it’s a mistake for Ferrari to keep both; Their driving styles are too different. I think it’s obvious that Charles can adapt to a car easier than Carlos. When the car suits Sainz, the two drivers are separated by a couple of hundredths. When the car suits Charles, it’s a couple of tenths. Eventually with this understeery car, Leclerc will adapt and be ahead of Sainz more often than not, but we wont see his true potential. But then if you give Charles the car he wants, the narrative will switch to an unhappy Carlos who has been sacrificed to protect “the chosen one” as they like to say. We'll end up having Carlos racing for team Sainz, and not team Ferrari.

I think the best move at this point is to keep only one. I would prefer they keep Charles, but if they don’t he won’t have a problem getting a seat anywhere. They could trade Red Bull for one of their engineers or Aero guys (How crazy would that be? Charles and Max on the same team). Or if Lando does get bought out by RB, McLaren would make a move for Charles if he's available. And if Hamilton retires, well, Mercedes would jump on the opportunity. As far as Carlos, I believe he’s got Audi lined up already. Or I’m sure papa Stroll could also buy him out. That would be interesting… The two Spaniards at Aston Martin? You have to imagine that Lawrence wants to have to good drivers. Make Lance the TD, or buy a seat for him at Williams or Haas.

Either way, as a Tifosi it's frustrating to even have good results, and the car moving in the right direction, end with negativity and finger pointing in the media.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 11:35
AR3-GP wrote:

It will be quite decent I think, based on the Q performance in S2 and S3 in Japan it should be ahead of McLaren in Q which might be very important for the race. The only place where it lost ground to McLaren in Suzuka were Esses, the rest of the lap Leclerc was catching up to them, so I get why he said he will be surprised if McLaren is still ahead in Qatar. It will be close, but I think front row in Q is possible.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Tomsky wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 17:55
Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 11:35
AR3-GP wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/xCrkxYj.jpeg
The field spread between top 5 teams in s2/s3 is quite small.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Guys please don't use qualifying times. Norris was capable of going 1s quicker in the race...

McL had:

- (Way) More downforce. The difference in sector 1 is embarrassing
- Less drag

F1 vs F2

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 18:29
Guys please don't use qualifying times. Norris was capable of going 1s quicker in the race...

McL had:

- (Way) More downforce. The difference in sector 1 is embarrassing
- Less drag

F1 vs F2

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F64lzCIXcAM ... name=large
But this is no secret. They have an exeptionally well performing floor and they were lower on the wing so it is normal for them to have less drag on the straights. It was always going to be a strong race for them. They were this strong even beforr the upgrades at circuits like this. Take Barcelona for example.

I'm almost confident enough to guarantee we've already seen 80% of their '24 car. They've certainly chewed through their budget and ATR time. Fortunately for them they were competent enough to design a chassis that allowed for big aero changes. That is not the case for us.

dialtone
dialtone

These 2 graphs should be posted in a reference thread on their own imho :).