2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Lewis on him vs George and the damage from clashing with Perez.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... 524805/
For Sure!!

chrisc90

Luscion wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 18:51
SSScoffee wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 18:28
chrisc90 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 17:16

Lewis' post race comments. He does mention the sliding and bouncing remains at the minute when they add downforce, which could be important to note.
They haven't upgraded their floor this year IIRC. Maybe they realised that adding load would only lead to bouncing with the current concept.
Rumor is their Austin upgrade includes a new floor so hopefully they've found a solution to the problem
You'd hope so. They should hopefully understand exactly where the problem lies with their car by now. I think if they dont bring a floor this season, they will put all their issues down to the chassis. which does seem a little far fetched given they cant control the bouncing (as well) when they stick the downforce on.
You'd hope they would bring a early revision of next years floor to evaluate it during a race.

denyall

5th and 7th is better than 6th and 7th. - Lewis Hamilton.

The only controversy here is George sole goal of beating Lewis and George 2nd goal of making the 1 stop work failing as expected and hoping the team will cover his ass because he has track position.

maygun
maygun

One race Toto is missing and boys are fighting with each other.

Fun aside, what worries me about Merc is I do not see any reason they will be better than any of the current competitors (Ferrari, MCL, maybe even Aston) next year.

- No new infrastructure, no new tools
- No new big technical name (I dont know if James Allison counts as he was involved already with the previous two cars to some extent as well), even for other roles there was no big recruitment operation.
- This year no new bits that even close to innovative. All the new parts, suspension, sidepods, wings etc. were not something very different from than rest of the field,
- The engine side would be very similar as well due to freezes,

Probably the 3-4 teams again will be competing for the second place next year, which makes me sad and annoyed for the future years of F1.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

maygun wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 03:35
When the cat's away, the mice will play
:lol:

Luscion
Luscion

maygun wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 03:35

Fun aside, what worries me about Merc is I do not see any reason they will be better than any of the current competitors (Ferrari, MCL, maybe even Aston) next year.

- No new infrastructure, no new tools
- No new big technical name (I dont know if James Allison counts as he was involved already with the previous two cars to some extent as well), even for other roles there was no big recruitment operation.
- This year no new bits that even close to innovative. All the new parts, suspension, sidepods, wings etc. were not something very different from than rest of the field,
- The engine side would be very similar as well due to freezes,

Probably the 3-4 teams again will be competing for the second place next year, which makes me sad and annoyed for the future years of F1.
Regarding the no big recruitment thing, I don't think that's true. Toto has said they've been grabbing RedBull employees constantly (and from other teams) this year, it's just that they don't talk about it, hell I'm sure the only reason the media found of they managed to get Redbull's COO was because she was spotted in Merc attire walking with Toto in Bahrain. They even made a play to grab Newey, which let's be honest was never going to happen but they still tried.

Toto talking about them recruiting from RedBull
https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-has- ... people/amp

chrisc90

Someone from another forum who lives in Brackley noticed a trend of a lot younger employees who visit shops for dinner or after work.

Whether it’s Co-incidence or not I don’t know - just thought it might be a interesting observation to share

organic

Lots of teams are hiring younger, more grads because of the cost cap. They're cheaper

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90

organic wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:24
Lots of teams are hiring younger, more grads because of the cost cap. They're cheaper
I wonder if that comes at the expense of experience or knowledge. (As a generalisation rather than team specific)

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:42
organic wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:24
I wonder if that comes at the expense of experience or knowledge. (As a generalisation rather than team specific)
Of course. You can get offered the same job in indycar for twice the pay due to the cost cap. There is brain drain from F1 happening

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 17:54
It will be a tall order for hamilton to close 33 points to Perez. It can be done with a few podiums and perez typically u der performing. But the mclarens seem to have the podium locked out.
Ferrari do have the car that deserves P2 in the constructors but as you listed above there have been many issues that set them back in terms of points. I think Vasseur's making his mark now and the team os making less errors
was just looking at the best pit stop of every race so far this season. we have rbr mclaren and ferrari. but no Merc.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

CHT wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 15:44
ringo wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 17:54
It will be a tall order for hamilton to close 33 points to Perez. It can be done with a few podiums and perez typically u der performing. But the mclarens seem to have the podium locked out.
Ferrari do have the car that deserves P2 in the constructors but as you listed above there have been many issues that set them back in terms of points. I think Vasseur's making his mark now and the team os making less errors
was just looking at the best pit stop of every race so far this season. we have rbr mclaren and ferrari. but no Merc.
They are rarely doing sub 3 seconds pit stops since last year.

ringo

They need to improve operations for sure. Pit stops and strategy and even logistics in bringing upgrades to track.
The other teams seem to bring more each race.
Pit stops are consistently 3 seconds. The team have been resting on the laurels of their hey days. Though one could argue that if you are a lonely 4th best and you have good tyre deg, 0.6 seconds to pit stop can be clawed back on the track.
For Sure!!