2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

A very interesting comment from Carlos Sainz:
"It's one thing to copy the concept, and another thing is that once you have it, who experiments more and takes it further forward. But if we are all going to go in that direction, they are two years ahead of us with this design, so I think it is best to focus on ourselves."
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/240928/w ... -then.html

Maybe the 2024 car is not a RB clone, but something else.

ringo

The car should be all new for 24.
I dont see anything carrying over for this car.
It tried to solve the weaknesses for F175 but in doing so loss some strenghts.
I expect a redbull clone.
For Sure!!

scuderiabrandon

I don't like the term 'clone' in this context. Pink Mercedes is a clone.

Using the same concepts as Red Bull is not cloning.

dialtone
dialtone

scuderiabrandon wrote:I don't like the term 'clone' in this context. Pink Mercedes is a clone.

Using the same concepts as Red Bull is not cloning.
Agree. Teams have studied in detail how RBR works and have clear understanding of their weaknesses. At this point they’ll take chances to try and pass them with concepts that work for them as well while still solving the weaknesses they know about.

Farnborough
Farnborough

This shows, I believe, the progress Ferrari are making to understand their own limitations https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10527739/ in regard to what the tyres need to perform over a wider performance range.

This is fundamental to design of any "replacement" suspension concepts if they are to advance that aspect.

Also shows tgey didn't understand comprehensively what they already had on SF23 in early races. This evolution is really important to understand, it looks positive that they've made tangible progress with this car.

chrisc90

organic wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 13:56
I think it was more the Austria upgrade and then improvements with understanding incrementally

The good tyre deg has been around for longer than just Suzuka. Monza for instance showed Ferrari having only marginally worse degradation than RB who carried more df that race and have been class of the field in terms of tyres this year
How do you come to that conclusion?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The RB18 would have outqualified the SF23 in Suzuka.

It just puts into perspective how much Ferrari have to find over the winter to challenge next year.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 01:38
https://i.postimg.cc/Hsv23w9J/image.png

It just puts into perspective how much Ferrari have to find over the winter to challenge next year.
The rb18's laptime at Suzuka in 2022 was better than every 2023 car except the rb19... so Ferrari are far from alone in this boat and it makes it feel less significant. The conditions are also not the same so I think that it's a bit hard to read into. It rained Friday night in '23 which lowered grip for instance

I think everyone's aware of how hard it will be to catch RB for next season. I think it's a bit unfair/mean to be reminding ppl when the constant reminder is happening in every race weekend. Some people will be optimistic but that optimism shouldn't be crushed just because others might think it misplaced

We've seen McLaren switch to the correct concept and find 1s/lap of laptime relative to the field this season and it's not like their resources to do this have been outlandish. They had a compromised wind tunnel and went through a management/leadership restructure and still made progress. We can't really say how much time Ferrari will find by switching concept or how easily it will come. Development rates are not linear - same applies to RB
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Oct 2023, 19:56
organic wrote:
I think it was more the Austria upgrade and then improvements with understanding incrementally

The good tyre deg has been around for longer than just Suzuka. Monza for instance showed Ferrari having only marginally worse degradation than RB who carried more df that race and have been class of the field in terms of tyres this year
How do you come to that conclusion?
In broad terms by observing trends. And spending too much time looking at data!

For the second half of 2022 and the few races at the beginning of the year Ferrari would always heat up tyres quickly especially rears, be quick at start of stints and fade away relatively quickly. At Barcelona they brought their upgrade designed primarily to make the car more consistent and become kinder on tyres. What we immediately saw at Barcelona and subsequent races was Ferrari struggling with tyre warmup, made all the more apparent by the wet weekends; an entirely novel phenomenon for Ferrari in the 2022- regulations. We can look at other cars that have excellent tyre management like Merc and RB and they have this similar weaker warmup. A new car characteristic perhaps

Looking at the race pace from then onwards.. Ferrari's race pace was consistent with low degradation in line with others already at Canada, Austria, Silverstone.. they were actually competitive on deg already. It was masked by Canada's awful start positions & in Silverstone they completely botched the strategy, seemingly expecting tyre falloff that never came - even for their car. Belgian GP Leclerc could simply manage his gap to Hamilton behind and had him covered at all times despite Spa being tough on the tyres. At Monza sainz was pushing on C5 tyres for 17 laps before max got past and even then it was only due to a mistake. It's hard to say if rb's deg advantage was enough to make the overtake stick on track to be honest - we didn't see that play out. What we did see is that Ferrari's deg was about the same as Russell despite Russell just managing his tyres & bringing the car home whilst both Ferraris were constantly fighting throughout the race and pushing their tyres to the edge whilst running very low df setups

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:

Let's all pack it up and go straight to 2026, in fact we might just want to go to 2032 :).

Sport is already struggling to keep audience thanks to this dominance, you better hope that at least Ferrari, Mercedes or McLaren catch up.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 02:50
AR3-GP wrote:

Let's all pack it up and go straight to 2026, in fact we might just want to go to 2032 :).

Sport is already struggling to keep audience thanks to this dominance, you better hope that at least Ferrari, Mercedes or McLaren catch up.
I do hope so, if only to have more to discuss. Leclerc or Norris to RB if not.

Vanja #66

organic wrote:

Indeed. Though I would add it was Sainz who had the worst tyre wear of the 4 cars in Monza, while Leclerc was doing great in both stints and the only reason why his lap times dropped just like Sainz' is because he was stuck behind him due to the way Sainz defended and because of tyre deg.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bluechris

dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The audience was happy for 7 years of MB domination and they will have trouble with 2 years of RB? i dont think so.
We must have faith that Ferrari at least will go better from next year as MCLaren this year

dialtone
dialtone

bluechris wrote:
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The audience was happy for 7 years of MB domination and they will have trouble with 2 years of RB? i dont think so.
We must have faith that Ferrari at least will go better from next year as MCLaren this year
https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1b ... inues-lm22

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 14:59
bluechris wrote:
dialtone wrote:

https://www.si.com/fannation/racing/f1b ... inues-lm22
But whose fault is it really? I posted a picture above. The current SF23 and W14 are slower than the '22 RB18 at some venues, while the RB19 has been faster than the RB18.

We all talked about convergence and diminishing returns for RB with their leading car and diminished windtunnel time and all of Perez's leaks, yet the gap has grown at some circuits. The FIA could not account for this. Even if RB's penalty was a complete and total windtunnel ban in 2023, '22 the RB18 would still probably have beaten the Ferrari and the Merc at some circuits and possibly still taken the titles.

At some point the trailing teams need to help themselves.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3 is right that Ferrari need a massive miracle to compete with RB in 2024.
That is because they lost a year of development, therefore they will have to recover almost 1s of performance + whatever RB will find with the RB20 in the same timeframe as RB.

The SF 23 is not even a real evolution of the F1 75, because it's better in some areas but worse in others. Just a massive failure of a project.

If we go back in history, it is pretty much impossible to find a dominant team being challenged the following year with no minor/major changes to the regulations.