2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
issey
issey

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Big changes for the rest of the weekend

KimiRai
KimiRai

@organic Aston's possible tyre deg issues you mentioned might have been magically fixed in the case there's mandated three stops for the race... incredible

issey
issey

The FIA will make changes to turn 12-13 and this was a big section where Alonso was the fastest in qualifying

Bisonas

KimiRai wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 00:54
Is it something else we are missing or don't know? Honestly I find it very difficult to understand.
Don't kid ourselves guys.
Most of us that follows Alonso career through the years and know how he operates, saw this coming from the day he signed with AMR.
Alonso is one of the truly greats that this sport has ever seen. A competitive Animal that no matter what he says in front of a camera, no matter how big the smile is when he speaks in front of a camera, deep inside he is 100% focused on destroying his teammate. Breaking him. He literally feeds from it. That’s his fuel that keeps him young and energized. Destroying teammates and showing the world how good he is.
He would have done the same to Ocon last year, if not for reliability issues and Alpines decision to protect their investment in Ocon, letting the faster Alpine running behind the slower Alpine in the race on many occasions.
Alonso atm can only be compared to Hamilton and Verstappen. Noone else. Even among those 3 I do believe he has the better racecraft and he is the better overall racer.
It also shows that Vettel was never at Hamilton, Alonso & Verstappen level. Not even at his peak. Sorry to Vettel fans, I do like him as a person, but IMO its true. How many championships each have is irrelevant. If you put Vettel in the same car with any of those 3, IMO he would have lost, and probably lost by some margin in a course of season with similar reliability among the cars.
Anyway that’s my thoughts on the matter.

KimiRai
KimiRai

issey wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:36
The FIA will make changes to turn 12-13 and this was a big section where Alonso was the fastest in qualifying

We'll have to see I guess, but I think they might benefit if there's mandated pitstops with their lower wings, tyre deg was the most likely weakness due to that.

Bisonas

KimiRai wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:46
issey wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:36

We'll have to see I guess, but I think they might benefit if there's mandated pitstops with their lower wings, tyre deg was the most likely weakness due to that.
Yea i agree, mandatory pitstops sounds good for their direction they choose regarding DF levels.

organic

Wow what a gift that would be for AMR given the rear wing chosen :lol: I'm not sure they will confirm this proposed three-stop strategy but even a maximum stint length could help them

KimiRai
KimiRai

Bisonas wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:45
KimiRai wrote:
Is it something else we are missing or don't know? Honestly I find it very difficult to understand.
Most of us that follows Alonso career through the years and know how he operates, saw this coming from the day he signed with AMR.
Alonso is one of the truly greats that this sport has ever seen. A competitive Animal that no matter what he says in front of a camera, no matter how big the smile is when he speaks in front of a camera, deep inside he is 100% focused on destroying his teammate. Breaking him. He literally feeds from it. That’s his fuel that keeps him young and energized. Destroying teammates and showing the world how good he is.
He would have done the same to Ocon last year, if not for reliability issues and Alpines decision to protect their investment in Ocon, letting the faster Alpine running behind the slower Alpine in the race on many occasions.
Alonso atm can only be compared to Hamilton and Verstappen. Noone else. Even among those 3 I do believe he has the better racecraft and he is the better overall racer.
It also shows that Vettel was never at Hamilton, Alonso & Verstappen level. Not even at his peak. Sorry to Vettel fans, I do like him as a person, but IMO its true. How many championships each have is irrelevant. If you put Vettel in the same car with any of those 3, IMO he would have lost, and probably lost by some margin in a course of season with similar reliability among the cars.
Good post by the way, great read, agree with what you said .

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 11:33
Not sure why some are focusing so much on Lance's emotional reaction, to be honest its understandable regardless of his background. Throwing a steering wheel is about one of the most common things drivers do, pushing aside a team member is harsh but its not totally unprecedented. Even Fernando destroyed a hotel room wall after he was taken out at the start of Singapore 2017, he made a hole by punching it due to the frustration. But, I get that those images sell clicks.
I agree.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 13:23
Bisonas wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:45
KimiRai wrote:
Good post by the way, great read, agree with what you said .
Really? You weren't surprised to know how diminished Vettel had become?

F1doc
F1doc

Will AM management be brave and make a driver call after this weekend? Stroll has to move aside now. 9 tenths off Alonso, and out yet again in the first qualifying segment (SQ1).

Consistently poor and leaving it wide open for McLaren to overhaul for 4th.

noshbloke

well, as expected......... the car is bitter on last sector

alonsofan
alonsofan

toraabe wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 12:06
alonsofan wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 01:47
KimiRai wrote:

Makes sense, good explanation. I would also add the Alonso effect in Qatar where he seems to do especially well. Starting P4 is just incredible from his side. But you make a good point that we shouldn't be too confident for the race.

5 consecutive Q1 eliminations from Stroll, 1.1s off the pace. What's going on? He wasn't that terrible against Perez and Vettel, did they flatter him? Is Alonso that good? Is it injury aftermaths? Has the car gone in a direction that he doesn't like and only Alonso can cope with? Is the field being so close today makes driver differences more apparent? Is it something else we are missing or don't know? Honestly I find it very difficult to understand.
Alo can cope with any car. The guy adapts his driving style according to the strengths of the car. Still remember how he drove the 2013/14 Ferrari in the corners
Exactly. The same as with Verstappen. They instantly knows how to get the most out of the equipment they are being given. I have to say that Alonso has to get a better teammate than Lance.
I do not hav that much respect for Ver as much I have for Alo. Ver may be a good driver, bt he's very arrogant according to me. Would love to see him change teams drive uncompetitive cars, and then only his true character will come to the fore.

diffuser

F1doc wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 15:42
Will AM management be brave and make a driver call after this weekend? Stroll has to move aside now. 9 tenths off Alonso, and out yet again in the first qualifying segment (SQ1).

Consistently poor and leaving it wide open for McLaren to overhaul for 4th.
Since the driver is Management.....

fouad1979
fouad1979

Alonso is fast in S1 and S3 but lose half second in S2