2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

These months can't pass quickly to see the new car.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Hi! Kind of unrelated, but does anyone have any data of the race pace gap between Lando and Carlos back in 2019? I know it was virtually non-existent in 2020, but I can't find anything on 2019, and I don't remember it being that big of a gap

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
09 Dec 2023, 22:39
Hi! Kind of unrelated, but does anyone have any data of the race pace gap between Lando and Carlos back in 2019? I know it was virtually non-existent in 2020, but I can't find anything on 2019, and I don't remember it being that big of a gap
You can look at F1 Tempo, it has data going back to 2018. Racefans also has interactive race data.

Organic posted a nice site that I meant to bookmark, but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Edit:

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2019/gp/s7847/results

Sainz seemed on average to be a little faster on race day, but nothing dramatic. You can see that for many races only one of the drivers would actually finish the race, there's probably more races where one driver finished than two.

If I recall correctly, I think Sainz had better racecraft and Lando was more cautious in his first season - this impeded his progress. But the racepace was in Sainz favour by a small margin.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Wouter

=D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

CjC
CjC

Wouter wrote:
10 Dec 2023, 18:03
=D> =D> =D>

That’ll motivate Red Bull
Just a fan's point of view

MTudor
MTudor

mwillems

Oscar Piastri won Rookie of the year at the Autosport awards, Lando won British competition driver of the year!

https://www.autosport.com/autosport-awa ... ar%20Award.

https://www.autosport.com/autosport-awa ... /10554691/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

Macklaren
Macklaren

what race was this at? Austin?

_cerber1

Macklaren
Macklaren

Waiting for juicy nuggets about the 2024 car from Mika and / or hopefully a return of PhilipM

organic

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10557207/
"Ultimately in Formula 1, we have the luxury of it being quite quantitative," he said.

"You see what kind of progress you are making in the wind tunnel and the computer simulations and you kind of know that a certain [development] rate will mean two tenths, half a second, seven tenths better at the start of the season.

"Realistically, we know that if you want to retain your competitiveness going into next season, you need to have half a second in hand. Otherwise, it's like what we have seen at the end of a season, it looks like you're moving backwards. It's just because you are steady and everyone is catching up.
"So, we will first of all look at the data. We already know pretty much this data, which I won't comment on. And then based on that, we will position the entire team internally and externally.

"We don't have to create false expectations because then reality comes to you in a violent way and we don't want to find ourselves in this position.

"At the same time, we don't want to downplay too much and then find we weren't ready to fight at the front and we didn't make good decisions because of that. So just to stick with the data, be realistic, be honest. That's our philosophy."
"The way I structure the season is we started uncompetitive, took a step in Austria, another step in Singapore. But there's a final phase of the season in which we have been steady from a development point of view," Stella pointed out.

"Many cars have brought upgrades, some of which have been quite successful. So, it's a phase in which it's not like we have degraded our performance, simply some other cars have closed the gap on us or have even overtaken us.

"Definitely, if we want to enjoy some of the results we have enjoyed in this third phase after Singapore, we do have to make a further step forward going on to next season."

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 16:03
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10557207/
"Ultimately in Formula 1, we have the luxury of it being quite quantitative," he said.

"You see what kind of progress you are making in the wind tunnel and the computer simulations and you kind of know that a certain [development] rate will mean two tenths, half a second, seven tenths better at the start of the season.

"Realistically, we know that if you want to retain your competitiveness going into next season, you need to have half a second in hand. Otherwise, it's like what we have seen at the end of a season, it looks like you're moving backwards. It's just because you are steady and everyone is catching up.
"So, we will first of all look at the data. We already know pretty much this data, which I won't comment on. And then based on that, we will position the entire team internally and externally.

"We don't have to create false expectations because then reality comes to you in a violent way and we don't want to find ourselves in this position.

"At the same time, we don't want to downplay too much and then find we weren't ready to fight at the front and we didn't make good decisions because of that. So just to stick with the data, be realistic, be honest. That's our philosophy."
"The way I structure the season is we started uncompetitive, took a step in Austria, another step in Singapore. But there's a final phase of the season in which we have been steady from a development point of view," Stella pointed out.

"Many cars have brought upgrades, some of which have been quite successful. So, it's a phase in which it's not like we have degraded our performance, simply some other cars have closed the gap on us or have even overtaken us.

"Definitely, if we want to enjoy some of the results we have enjoyed in this third phase after Singapore, we do have to make a further step forward going on to next season."
I like Andrea👌🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

mwillems wrote:
10 Dec 2023, 15:43
Dafnalina wrote:
You can look at F1 Tempo, it has data going back to 2018. Racefans also has interactive race data.

Organic posted a nice site that I meant to bookmark, but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Edit:

Sainz seemed on average to be a little faster on race day, but nothing dramatic. You can see that for many races only one of the drivers would actually finish the race, there's probably more races where one driver finished than two.

If I recall correctly, I think Sainz had better racecraft and Lando was more cautious in his first season - this impeded his progress. But the racepace was in Sainz favour by a small margin.
Thank you so much!

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
13 Dec 2023, 03:40
mwillems wrote:
10 Dec 2023, 15:43
Dafnalina wrote:

Edit:

Thank you so much!
Lando is an exceptional driver that went under the radar in his rookie season because people did not have a good read on Sainz.

Because Sainz was underrated, Lando beating him on the quali head to head wasn't seen as much of an achievement.

But of course we know now that while Carlos might not be "elite" tier with Charles, Max and so on, he definitely isn't far from it. And given a car he is comfortable with, he can be really fast.

So in hindsight, given the car he had, Lando had a very strong rookie season.