Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: Mercedes W15

Close up pics of back of the W15

Cs98
Cs98

Luscion wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 17:25
Close up pics of back of the W15

https://i.imgur.com/IMa4Hsj.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/O7xFzRs.jpeg
Nothing special. Very flat rear with some assymetry in the centre-line.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The engine cover still looks quite "high" to me.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 18:37
Seems like Merc might also be hiding something - https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ison-2024/
Interesting article along those lines: https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-m ... /10576642/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

With the way that Merc have treated their front flaps, it makes sense to me why they stayed with push-rod front in this area. The vortex they are trying to summon with that front wing seems more compatible with a push rod concept.

In the previous generation regs where front wings were permitted to generate the y250 (?), even RB had a pushrod front suspension. If their front wing has a meaningful impact, it will be difficult for the likes of Mclaren/RB/Sauber to copy it.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:07
With the way that Merc have treated their front flaps, it makes sense to me why they stayed with push-rod front in this area. The vortex they are trying to summon with that front wing seems more compatible with a push rod concept.

In the previous generation regs where front wings were permitted to generate the y250 (?), even RB had a pushrod front suspension. If their front wing has a meaningful impact, it will be difficult for the likes of Mclaren/RB/Sauber to copy it.
I feel teams should all reveal in a very short window before testing and NO faking allowed.
FIA/Liberty forget that aswell as a sport it is a show.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:33
AR3-GP wrote:

I feel teams should all reveal in a very short window before testing and NO faking allowed.
An F1 car is not a static object. Development is dynamic and many times, parts arrive just in time for the race weekend. An F1 car is constantly being made obselete. No matter what they bring to the first race weekend, the car will look different again within 2-3 weeks. The show is the race weekends. Everything else is only preparation as teams are still figuring out what car they want to run. I personally think teams should be allowed even more days to test and experiment than we have currently.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:34
f1jcw wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

An F1 car is not a static object. Development is dynamic and many times, parts arrive just in time for the race weekend. An F1 car is constantly being made obselete. No matter what they bring to the first race weekend, the car will look different again within 2-3 weeks. The show is the race weekends. Everything else is only preparation as teams are still figuring out what car they want to run. I personally think teams should be allowed even more days to test and experiment than we have currently.
Definitely, maybe even a inseason test with prospective lower league drivers

maxxer
maxxer

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:34
f1jcw wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Agreed at least have 2 iterations again with some time in between.
One test closer to home and a final test maybe at the track they will race.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Sevach
Sevach

They did what he asked.

Venturiation
Venturiation

j_ste
j_ste

Sevach wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 11:50
They did what he asked.
That was the easy part...the rest, we'll see. Quite the difference though

Farnborough
Farnborough

This chassis looks way more resolved in it's design and concept within these regulation than the two previous iteration.

I feel they've good reason to be very quietly excited about now running and developing it from this platform.

I feel it's a positive that they've been relatively conservative in their own PR output given the unattainable projection of last two seasons.

There's some very good detail, obvious transition of rear suspension, full blown re design of front suspension, importantly instigated from their last years movement of that when modified in mid season. Also properly resolved aero scheme attached to their revision of just how they evaluate that within their control, test and manufacturing processes.

This a real "steady the ship" effect from JA, all looks much more positive foundation to start a season from.

djones
djones

Sevach wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 11:50
They did what he asked.
Looks like it.

Too little too late though it seems (from his move).