Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Red Bull RB20

Apexseal157 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:39
AbulafiaF1 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:29
organic wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:18
What a shock zeropod won't come

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover, leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.
God why would they go to a concept which is proven to be poor at managing wheel wake, logic would suggest that the added bulk in the pods is a wake management choice as opposed to a tuneable element for certain races. We all know now what the team's are trying to do with the flow in that area, mainly increasing high pressure above the floor entrance, producing enough outwash to keep wheel wake outboard and to provide strong clean flow to the rear of the car (though watersides or undercuts) a zeropod or skinny pod just isn't the ideal solution to these regs, with no bargeboard the pods have a crucial role in wake control and I don't see redbull ditching that.
The diffuser strake upkick exists from under the floor do a lot of outwash.
Honda!

Apexseal157

Venturiation wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:46
Apexseal157 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:39
AbulafiaF1 wrote:

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover, leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.
God why would they go to a concept which is proven to be poor at managing wheel wake, logic would suggest that the added bulk in the pods is a wake management choice as opposed to a tuneable element for certain races. We all know now what the team's are trying to do with the flow in that area, mainly increasing high pressure above the floor entrance, producing enough outwash to keep wheel wake outboard and to provide strong clean flow to the rear of the car (though watersides or undercuts) a zeropod or skinny pod just isn't the ideal solution to these regs, with no bargeboard the pods have a crucial role in wake control and I don't see redbull ditching that.
The concept is proven to be way faster in the windtunnel
Marko confirmed it and sky f1 is saying they are bringing it in Japan
Because redbull have a history of being very open about car development, especially with large media companies. The zeropod was developed by merc for 2 seasons and they couldn't get it to work even in its second iteration (w14) it didn't really work so they moved to the overbite in Monaco. Is Redbull physics different to Mercedes physics? I still think the zeropod is a dead idea (w13 style), and whatever redbull do bring later on will not be a zeropod as we saw on the merc, I'd expect a truly astronomical undercut, more like a "wingpod" than to ever see a zeropod again

enkidu1978
enkidu1978

We know the car will be quick but boy that Red Bull sure looks ugly with inflatable boat sausages shape round the top like that.

vorticism

Re: no obvious s-duct exit yet. I am still hoping for low dual engine intakes. That said this emergence of two new inlets behind the halo bases could be alternative placement for such a split intake. Seems like an odd spot for a cooling intake so yeah it might also be another s-duct inlet candidate. That seems like an appealing spot for one.

Re: louver exit speculation in previous posts. The louvers must release only heat exchanger outflow per the regs. So if you're going to get clever with the louvers you have to also be clever with the HXs, which also have some regulations defining in them. I leave the rest to you.

Fabrega

↑ This is a major change. The radiator cores are constructed differently, they're closer to horizontal and mounted above some sort of tall structure which might be the floor tunnel or something else, and an air-air intercooler isn't visible. That structure appears to have an insulating foil on it; something you might want on an engine intake plenum running beneath a radiator.

organic wrote:
Here's a front angle without sidepod panel on

Notice the vertical slot doesn't immediately connect to the main radiator inlet... And there's no identified s-duct outlets yet... 🤞 +1s to all the image posters, very informative as always.
Last edited by vorticism on 21 Feb 2024, 16:19, edited 8 times in total.
𓄀

mzso
mzso

f1rules wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 09:28
So i was completely spot on

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2ATNnXgAA ... name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGcTYHgWQAA ... ame=medium

f1rules wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 09:49
Ok im completely out on a limp here. Could they open up the panel shown by jagunx51, just next to/behind the halo and let air in for to move the flow to a more desired location, the central diffuser, and combined with scarbs drawing, maybe they exit the vertical inlet flow there also. Could there be advantages in mixing those two, would the upper help pull the air from below faster?

I borrowed jagunx51's picture and artwork done by
Craig Scarborough
@ScarbsTech

So this and the slit inlet is only for aero, or is it also for cooling?
Last edited by mzso on 21 Feb 2024, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeel23

mzso wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 15:41
f1rules wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 09:28
So i was completely spot on

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG2ATNnXgAA ... name=small

f1rules wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 09:49
Ok im completely out on a limp here. Could they open up the panel shown by jagunx51, just next to/behind the halo and let air in for to move the flow to a more desired location, the central diffuser, and combined with scarbs drawing, maybe they exit the vertical inlet flow there also. Could there be advantages in mixing those two, would the upper help pull the air from below faster?

I borrowed jagunx51's picture and artwork done by
Craig Scarborough
@ScarbsTech

So this and slit inlet is only for aero, or is it also for cooling?
The regulations state that anything in that location (assuming it is in the same legality box as the Ferrari S-duct), has to be used for some kind of cooling. The regulations don't state what it has to cool or by how much, but it must do some kind of cooling. In theory I think you could just run a tiny wire connected to some kind of electronics and have it be sufficient for legality.

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
organic wrote:
What a shock zeropod won't come

Good observation! I'd say probably not up that far into the car (not up in the shoulders), but it sure looks a lot more tucked in than the RB18/19 solutions. The piping is vastly different (see purple bits) and the angle of the internal cowling is not as steep as it used to be it looks like.

Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:52
Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:51
I think the perspective is deceiving. Look how much the SIS protrudes beyond the radiators. These look quite tucked in.

As many pointed out the zeropod was also not a true zeropod but had substantial volume.
You mean like this?
Things have changed quite a lot from the past two years. Cabling is a bit messy for now compare to how clean things were last year, but that's probably just for the testing phase.

Definitely curious to see some clearer pictures of the internals.

Mattchu

Could the vertical side inlet not connect to the horizontal inlet at all? Maybe the ERS battery and control electronics is cooled by a side on radiator fed from the thin split inlet.

vorticism

vorticism wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 20:53

viewtopic.php?p=1184785#p1184785

Front suspension: The upper forward arm attachment point appears to be kicked back further. It should look relatively severe in the coming photos. It’s now so far back that it’s in approximately the same area where pushrods intersect the chassis on pushrod equipped cars; if so, this detail would not be easily duplicated on a front pushrod equipped car. Their front suspension design has been on a different planet for three seasons now and no fans or press have been able to say definitively if it’s an aero concept or a kinematics concept.

𓄀

Henk_v
Henk_v

Mat-tes wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 15:59
Cabling is a bit messy for now compare to how clean things were last year, but that's probably just for the testing phase.
Those are not cables but tubes connected to pressure sensors to map the pressure inside the radiator ducts. Similar to aero rakes, but internal.

Henk_v
Henk_v

vorticism wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 16:45
https://i.postimg.cc/TYbWpjNP/rb20-front-arms.jpg
vorticism wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 20:53

https://i.postimg.cc/XJ4WQcCz/IMG-6632.jpg
viewtopic.php?p=1184785#p1184785

Front suspension: The upper forward arm attachment point appears to be kicked back further. It should look relatively severe in the coming photos. It’s now so far back that it’s in approximately the same area where pushrods intersect the chassis on pushrod equipped cars; if so, this detail would not be easily duplicated on a front pushrod equipped car. Their front suspension design has been on a different planet for three seasons now and no fans or press have been able to say definitively if it’s an aero concept or a kinematics concept.

https://i.postimg.cc/Vk5PBDwz/rb2o-front-susp.jpg
As posted before. Maybe not aero reasons. Getting the suspension bits further aft and tucking in the radiators lowers the turning inertia of the car by getting the mass closer to the center of rotation.

vorticism

Cs98 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:52
Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:51
I think the perspective is deceiving. Look how much the SIS protrudes beyond the radiators. These look quite tucked in.

As many pointed out the zeropod was also not a true zeropod but had substantial volume.
You mean like this?
I'd say the RB20 rads are either narrower or tucked in. Look at how the inlet duct curves in toward the rad at the top. On RB19 the inlet duct is tangent to rad flow.

Differences in LH side radiator construction and piping are visible here (and in images above):

No longer any large collectors ran along the outside and the radiator installation angle is much closer to horizontal. Another maojr difference: what is the insulated box beneath the radiator inlet duct on RB20?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

organic wrote:
Here's a front angle without sidepod panel on

Compiling vertical slot explanations:
S-duct
Supplement to main sidepod inlet
Engine intake
Dedicated HX inlet (either for intercooler or radiator)

To the latter most: there could have been some compromises in having water rads and air-air intercooler sharing the same duct.
𓄀

Andi76
Andi76

The attachement point of the front suspension is definitely moved further back.

Imagepicture upload

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think it would be accurate to say the top surface of the sidepod is "sunken in". You might call it a "depression" as well.
A lion must kill its prey.

timbo
timbo

I wonder if the radiators can be arranged in a sort of horizontal V configuration. E.g. something like