2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

It's interesting that Albon feels Ferrari and Red Bull are not affected by wind.

Nice change compared to last year with the SF 23 lol

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think it's difficult to conclude anything without understanding if the conditions for each run are the same. Should we should assume the fuel load is the same?
Andi76 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:29
In 2023, the Red Bull was significantly faster in the slow sections, while the Ferrari was sometimes slightly faster in the very fast sections:

https://postimg.cc/Jt9YPt5s

This year, the picture is different. Ferrari has rediscovered its strength from 2022 in the slower sections and is generally better here than Red Bull, who seem to be slightly better in faster areas. In general, however, it looks much better than in 2023.

https://postimg.cc/K14Nb2N6

Also by the end of last season the RB was more proficient in high speed corners and the SF23 more proficient in low speed. If we could rule out variables, and the trend is like this, then it is a continuation from the end of last season.
A lion must kill its prey.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 21:52
I think it's difficult to conclude anything without understanding if the conditions for each run are the same. Should we should assume the fuel load is the same?
Andi76 wrote:
In 2023, the Red Bull was significantly faster in the slow sections, while the Ferrari was sometimes slightly faster in the very fast sections:

This year, the picture is different. Ferrari has rediscovered its strength from 2022 in the slower sections and is generally better here than Red Bull, who seem to be slightly better in faster areas. In general, however, it looks much better than in 2023.

Also by the end of last season the RB was more proficient in high speed corners and the SF23 more proficient in low speed. If we could rule out variables, and the trend is like this, then it is a continuation from the end of last season.
Regarding the high- and slow-speed performance of the SF23: Ferrari changed their approach to setup in Australia.
Before Australia, the SF23 was reasonably competitive in quali trim in high-speed corners, but was losing time in slow-speed stuff:

That changed in Australia:

So it's a continuation of the post-Australia trend.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 22:07
AR3-GP wrote:
Andi76 wrote:

Regarding the high- and slow-speed performance of the SF23: Ferrari changed their approach to setup in Australia.
Before Australia, the SF23 was reasonably competitive in quali trim in high-speed corners, but was losing time in slow-speed stuff:

https://i.postimg.cc/sxp6FDbB/Screensho ... -02-14.png
https://i.postimg.cc/NG7kwV5r/Screensho ... -04-27.png

That changed in Australia:
https://i.postimg.cc/25R1yktj/Screensho ... -05-50.png

So it's a continuation of the post-Australia trend.
If we were to hypothetically treat the data as like for like conditions, then I agree. It's simply a continuation from last season and Australia to be specific based on what you showed.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Just giving you guys a bit of context as I feel that pre-Australia performance of the SF23 is a bit of an outlier IMO

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

So guessing that Ferrari will be trying to dial the car right in tomorrow. What I’m really interested in is how much more pure performance is actually left in the car, feels like potentially quite a bit. I can see Ferrari prioritising race setups this year over some of the quali setups based on some of the long run performance we’ve seen so far.

Intrigued which direction they develop this car in. Last years need to create the EVO took so much time and resource, this year they should be able to bring more consistent upgrades like RB normally bring, gently evolving

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Xyz22 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 20:18
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG9eeG4WQAA ... ame=medium

SF 24 vs SF 23 2nd day of testing. C3 tyres for both.

Sainz very cautious with the brakes. Leclerc was quite aggressive in his lap on the other hand, quite interesting.
Good front end means that while you dont necessarily have much more minimum speed through the corner, you can potentially get on the throttle quicker(rear end willing), which adds up if you can consistently do that throughout the whole lap.

jambuka
jambuka

Vinlarr89 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 22:22
So guessing that Ferrari will be trying to dial the car right in tomorrow. What I’m really interested in is how much more pure performance is actually left in the car, feels like potentially quite a bit. I can see Ferrari prioritising race setups this year over some of the quali setups based on some of the long run performance we’ve seen so far.

Intrigued which direction they develop this car in. Last years need to create the EVO took so much time and resource, this year they should be able to bring more consistent upgrades like RB normally bring, gently evolving
If they do low fuel runs I think 1:28.9 should be reachable in hands of Leclerc if they do a Q3 qualifying simulation. I doubt they will do that. It's high time they start prioritizing race setup over qualy.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Vinlarr89 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 22:22

Ferrari never 'prioritized' qualifying setups. The car was simply inherently better over one lap than in the race. It was a fundamental characteristic of the car. I'm sure Ferrari were trying to prioritize race setups as much or more as everybody else, it's just the car was not gonna cooperate.

If anything, a car that is more fundamentally sound for race pace should mean there's more room to play with actual quali<->race setup balance as needed.

Like, do people just think Ferrari were being idiots last year? That they hadn't figured out that race pace mattered, when a toddler would be able to know this?

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
The last few seasons suggest they do run quite similar fuel levels, while Mercedes and McLaren usually run with higher fuel loads.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 22:39
AR3-GP wrote:
The last few seasons suggest they do run quite similar fuel levels, while Mercedes and McLaren usually run with higher fuel loads.
The laptimes were set at different times of day. I don't really understand what context allows one to assume the fuel loads were the same. On the surface, the only thing in common is the tire. How do we know they were in the same run plan, preferred ground clearances, and the many other variables. It just looks like two random laps to me.

Cs98
Cs98

Andi76 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 22:39
AR3-GP wrote:
Not sure what you are seeing in that piece of data. Every corner, fast and slow, Verstappen is increasing the time delta. No reason to think these runs are comparable.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Are these the laps? I'm very confused what context there is to suggest the laps can be compared.

Why not look at Verstappen's 1.32.5 set in the morning session? It is still challenging to make any conclusions considering all the teams are experimenting, but this seems to make slightly more sense, even though I think there's still too many variables that are not accounted for.

deadhead

“It's a car that basically has much more aerodynamic load.”

https://x.com/ferrarif1fra/status/17607 ... 2n8am2mMAg

organic

Formu1a Uno hosted a livestream on twitch as they often do.

Race pace improvement of over a second per lap across the entire race distance

Cardile much more involved than before it is felt

Work to do on the qualifying pace as it seems that is the area that has improved less than other parts

According to them Ferrari estimate their deficit to RB at 5 tenths (visible in one of tweet replies)

But that they are the clear 2nd force

Information in tweet below.

Last edited by organic on 22 Feb 2024, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.