2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: 2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

I honestly don't think it's anywhere near or as complicated, or as contrived as that.

Testing is Testing and it's as simple as that, it would be great for us fans if we had like for like data each day.

But teams go into testing with very different mindsets and objectives, most won't even know their best set ups till they've analyzed all the data.

There are no prizes so nothing to win, only an opportunity to look stupid if they don't do their proper homework.

Vanja #66

A question, if Max was running "massively" detuned in testing race sim, how do we define Sainz' PU settings? Galactic detune? :mrgreen:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Mandrake
Mandrake

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:01
A question, if Max was running "massively" detuned in testing race sim, how do we define Sainz' PU settings? Galactic detune? :mrgreen:

https://i.ibb.co/FDgd0K2/Snimak-ekrana- ... 075541.png

https://i.ibb.co/tYcHHQd/Snimak-ekrana- ... 075758.png
The MOTHER of all detunes ;)

Sieper

But He wins the time under braking.

TFSA

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:01

https://i.ibb.co/FDgd0K2/Snimak-ekrana- ... 075541.png

Looking at the times, they're both clearly at high fuel loads, albeit still lower for Sainz, since he's is more than 2 seconds faster than Verstappen in those comparisons.

Since we can't determine accurate fuel loads, it's hard - borderline impossible - to judge how much an engine is detuned. Detuning should generally be judged on qualifying sim rather than race sim.´

Edit: Also, Sainz delta is 5 tenths, but both of Verstappens deltas is more than 5 tenths? Also, it seems like Sainz lost a lot of time in a corner. Doesn't suggest any particularly strong de-tuning. But as mentioned, hard to judge without understanding fuel loads.

Vanja #66

TFSA wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 11:44
Looking at the times, they're both clearly at high fuel loads, albeit still lower for Sainz, since he's is more than 2 seconds faster than Verstappen in those comparisons.

Since we can't determine accurate fuel loads, it's hard - borderline impossible - to judge how much an engine is detuned. Detuning should generally be judged on qualifying sim rather than race sim.´

Edit: Also, Sainz delta is 5 tenths, but both of Verstappens deltas is more than 5 tenths? Also, it seems like Sainz lost a lot of time in a corner. Doesn't suggest any particularly strong de-tuning. But as mentioned, hard to judge without understanding fuel loads.
The point of my post was about a discussion in previous 4-5 pages where I was being convinced I'm completely wrong and Max was in fact ridiculously detuned on every straight. I've shared a trace of his 2 quick laps early in the race, where he was pushing 110% to get away from DRS range to Leclerc and compared to a trace from his testing simulation on the same C3 compound and at the start of the stint where he was heaviest.

As you can see, performance on straights is literally the same, so no - Max wasn't detuned in testing. They were in fact harvesting for T1-T4 acceleration to defend against potential DRS attack of chasers, while I expected they were harvesting only for T12 acceleration performance. They've completely hidden their intentions to accelerate like mad from T1-T4 in testing.

#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

And here you can see the detune between race and testing, from comparable laps well into the stints (like lap 15 on the test stint with high fuel). Not just on the big straights but basically visible in every part of the lap.
ImageRB's ERS doesn't deploy at peak capacity on the first few laps of a race (which is obviously why Vanja picked lap 2 :lol: ). Here you see the difference between lap 2 and lap 4. ImageYou'd expect Max to be deploying hard on lap 2 trying to get out of DRS, and maybe he was, but two laps later when he is in the clear and presumably not deploying more than normal he is getting better speeds. Have a suspicion it's temperature related because I've seen it for years now.

TFSA

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 12:54
The point of my post was about a discussion in previous 4-5 pages where I was being convinced I'm completely wrong and Max was in fact ridiculously detuned on every straight. I've shared a trace of his 2 quick laps early in the race, where he was pushing 110% to get away from DRS range to Leclerc and compared to a trace from his testing simulation on the same C3 compound and at the start of the stint where he was heaviest.

As you can see, performance on straights is literally the same, so no - Max wasn't detuned in testing. They were in fact harvesting for T1-T4 acceleration to defend against potential DRS attack of chasers, while I expected they were harvesting only for T12 acceleration performance. They've completely hidden their intentions to accelerate like mad from T1-T4 in testing.
That's not what it looks like to me.

What it looks like to me is that Max used most of his battery on Lap 1, which is what causes him to lose time in T1-T4 on lap 2. It's safe to assume that he used a more conservative energy deployment in testing, and - as such - didn't drain his battery completely.

However, once's he managed to harvest a bit throughout lap 2 in the race, you clearly see him pick up the pace again on the straits in the race, gaining time on them compared to practice (Lap 31 in practice, orange line, being the exception between T11-13, because he did a big lift in the other two laps).

Therefore, i chuck the difference down to battery deployment strategy.

As for Sainz, his braking is entirely different in the two laps you're comparing. The downward slope on the practice lap before he applies the brakes completely suggests he is lifting before braking. On the straits, particularly between T10->T11, T11->T13 and T13-T14, the delta slope is almost entirely even, only increasing slightly towards the end towards T14, but that's because he's lifting again.

There's nothing there that suggests any particular detuning to me.

Vanja #66

Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 13:27
which is obviously why Vanja picked lap 2 :lol:
Is proving this unprovable notion of massive detune a point of pride for you or do you truly not realise reaching highest top speed is not the fastest way around the track with hybrid PUs? I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, otherwise you wouldn't come up with the idea I quoted :)

TFSA wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 15:05
https://i.imgur.com/OO51cFs.png
Try looking at SF straight traces, you might just see something else :)

#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 16:07
Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 13:27
which is obviously why Vanja picked lap 2 :lol:
Is proving this unprovable notion of massive detune a point of pride for you or do you truly not realise reaching highest top speed is not the fastest way around the track with hybrid PUs? I'm inclined to believe it's the latter, otherwise you wouldn't come up with the idea I quoted :)

TFSA wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 15:05
https://i.imgur.com/OO51cFs.png
Try looking at SF straight traces, you might just see something else :)
You revived this old thread to grace us with another low quality attempt at deception which took about two minutes to debunk. Analysis is not for everyone and requires an honest analyst willing to make actually relevant comparisons. I will gladly defer to you on matters of aerodynamics, but when you stand in denial of data and all reporting from people in the know, you can't be taken seriously.

Vanja #66

Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 16:50
You revived this old thread to grace us with another low quality attempt at deception which took about two minutes to debunk. Analysis is not for everyone and requires an honest analyst willing to make actually relevant comparisons. I will gladly defer to you on matters of aerodynamics, but when you stand in denial of data and all reporting from people in the know, you can't be taken seriously.
Let us not stoop to infantile attempts at discreditation and stick to the topic, shall we? :)

I enjoy being challenged on all topics I consider myself knowledgeable enough to discuss, it "forces" me to be absolutely sure of what I'm saying and recap several times before I do. You don't see me attempting to unravel the mysteries of suspension or PU design. Aero and performance go hand in hand, on the other hand...

So, back to the topic and, more importantly, my "honesty" as "analyst" :lol: You've compared laps later in the stint, but they aren't comparable laps. There's always a push lap before the inlap (Race Lap 16 and Test Sim lap 31 - not Lap 30), and typically acceleration and top speeds are just a bit higher. To be honest in our comparisons, we must take this into account:

Even though the track must have been far better in the race (cleaner + cooler), we have several indicators Max' grip levels in the test sim were better - he wasn't pushing and didn't use the tyres in the early laps and was also slightly lighter in the sim, according to testing reports.

We have two points of notable difference in top speed between the sim and the race. Both were followed by higher acceleration in the sim - as allowed by the better state of overall grip, but still requires more power during acceleration. T14 braking point also saw higher apex speed in the sim, a benefit of lower top speed it would seem. So we have more harvesting followed by higher acceleration. This is also present in T1 in the sim, but it's such a small difference and I'm not comfortable attributing it solely to this test-sim-PU-mapping feature.

Was there a massive detune in testing? Absolutely not. Was there any detune at all? Possible, different mapping no doubt. Were the pros of such "detuned" mapping exploited? Absolutely. Most importantly - was there a major difference in lap time between these two mappings, observing only time gained and lost on straights and acceleration? No major difference, a generous estimate would be 0.1-0.15s lost with test sim PU mapping.

Finally, if we are calling this a "detune" or a "massive detune" how do we then call the difference of Sainz' PU mapping in Stint 3 of test sim and the race? An actually big difference on the SF straight overall speed of 4-5kmh gave him an anticlimactic 1 full tenth of advantage in the race - 0.1s. There's also the T14 braking advantage like Max had - but no acceleration advantage anywhere after more harvesting in the sim. Shockingly (not), it's an actually detuned mapping.

#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 22:45
Cs98 wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 16:50
Let us not stoop to infantile attempts at discreditation and stick to the topic, shall we? :)

I enjoy being challenged on all topics I consider myself knowledgeable enough to discuss, it "forces" me to be absolutely sure of what I'm saying and recap several times before I do. You don't see me attempting to unravel the mysteries of suspension or PU design. Aero and performance go hand in hand, on the other hand...

So, back to the topic and, more importantly, my "honesty" as "analyst" :lol: You've compared laps later in the stint, but they aren't comparable laps. There's always a push lap before the inlap (Race Lap 16 and Test Sim lap 31 - not Lap 30), and typically acceleration and top speeds are just a bit higher. To be honest in our comparisons, we must take this into account:

https://i.imgur.com/UAn5XZS.png

Even though the track must have been far better in the race (cleaner + cooler), we have several indicators Max' grip levels in the test sim were better - he wasn't pushing and didn't use the tyres in the early laps and was also slightly lighter in the sim, according to testing reports.

We have two points of notable difference in top speed between the sim and the race. Both were followed by higher acceleration in the sim - as allowed by the better state of overall grip, but still requires more power during acceleration. T14 braking point also saw higher apex speed in the sim, a benefit of lower top speed it would seem. So we have more harvesting followed by higher acceleration. This is also present in T1 in the sim, but it's such a small difference and I'm not comfortable attributing it solely to this test-sim-PU-mapping feature.

Was there a massive detune in testing? Absolutely not. Was there any detune at all? Possible, different mapping no doubt. Were the pros of such "detuned" mapping exploited? Absolutely. Most importantly - was there a major difference in lap time between these two mappings, observing only time gained and lost on straights and acceleration? No major difference, a generous estimate would be 0.1-0.15s lost with test sim PU mapping.

Finally, if we are calling this a "detune" or a "massive detune" how do we then call the difference of Sainz' PU mapping in Stint 3 of test sim and the race? An actually big difference on the SF straight overall speed of 4-5kmh gave him an anticlimactic 1 full tenth of advantage in the race - 0.1s. There's also the T14 braking advantage like Max had - but no acceleration advantage anywhere after more harvesting in the sim. Shockingly (not), it's an actually detuned mapping.

I picked lap 16 of the race. Right towards the end of that lap, beginning of lap 17, Max was told "free to push", a couple of laps earlier he had been told he had "6 or 7 laps before the need to cover", in other words there was nothing to suggest lap 16 was a push lap or he knew this was the lap before the inlap. No changes to engine modes were perfomed before or after the lap. In other words, lap 16 is a perfectly representative lap but you didn't bother to find that out did you? Much better to resort to speculation and hypotheticals about his push level and grip levels (which isn't telling us his engine settings anyways). And it doesn't really matter lap 15 and 14 also show better deployment pretty much everywhere on the lap compared to testing.

How are false assumptions which are easily falsifiable consistent with comments such as this?
I enjoy being challenged on all topics I consider myself knowledgeable enough to discuss, it "forces" me to be absolutely sure of what I'm saying and recap several times before I do.
:lol: Vanja... You can pat yourself on the back all day, you are not living up to your own standards here. How could you possible have recapped and been absolutely sure when your argument immediately falls flat. Do you even have access to the onboards? Did you check or do you just make assumptions all the time? Dishonesty bordering on arrogance.

And if you want to turn it into a semantical argument about "massively", be my guest. The point stands that RB had a significant detune in testing and the race telemetry has confirmed it.
Last edited by Cs98 on 06 Mar 2024, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Gave it a shot, but you keep going down the personal route and definitely don't bother reading my entire post... Sad, could have been a good discussion :(

#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Perhaps for the best. I can't debunk bad faith arguments forever.

Vanja #66

Never understood the need of some people to dish out personal insults even after discussion ended

#BlessYouLaddie