2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Space-heat
Space-heat

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AmateurDriver wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 13:47
Ced wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 13:42
Fakepivot wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 13:26
how come Ferrari still using smaller wing than red bull, merc. didn't they solve this imbalance issue they had with big wing last year?
That's the same config they had last week in testing and imo this is the best tradeoff for them
Also Ferrari has the leanest engine cover of them all due to absence of cooling there, so same rear wing is more effective for them than for others.
AFAIK the main weakness is in the medium/highspeed/change of direction. Can anyone tell me the %DF from the floor/FW/RW? I know the RW is less efficient DF but I was hoping we could use a bigger wing and get a similar DRS advantage as RedBull.

To fix the potential high/med speed corners (S2 Bahrain) is it a floor upgrade we need for more efficient DF or can anyone guess at the best development path to improve this area?

Is it a possible that we haven't developed a higher DF RW for the new concept and are making do until we can push out new parts. I know Cardile said we would be refreshing the whole RW range.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

zeroday wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 17:04
SoulPancake13 wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 02:27
This is a bit of a pointless question, but how much faster do you think the SF-24 will get come Abu Dhabi 2024? On that note: Do we expect to be able to fight in 2025 with the Red Bulls? Long way away, but just curious to know what people in here think might happen
1. It'll be faster. Every year cars get faster at Abu vs season start. At least 0.5sec faster
2. At Abu u are likely looking at what the 2025 car will be cuz most attention will have already focused on 2026. So whatever the pecking order is come Abu, is pretty much what it will be in 2025. Statistically, it's virtually impossible that anyone will be beating RB (in terms of champs) before 2026. So, if you want a sure $1 million all-in bet it is this! Sad but true. I'll just be happy take a few podiums combined until 2026 because even for GP wins i think its highly unlikely (possible, but just unlikely).
If Ferrari are clear 2nd fastest, wins are not all that unlikely. Last year was more an anomaly than anything - not with there being a dominant car, but with Red Bull and Verstappen especially committing so few errors and having relatively fortunate luck over the course of such a long season. Of the things that did go wrong for RB/Verstappen, usually it was on a Saturday or something and then things went well for them on Sunday to still get a win out of it.

So there will be likely be opportunities to win, even if not directly on merit. The important thing will be that Ferrari are in the best position to take advantage, which they are not always very good at. Still, being clear 2nd fastest car would be a good leg up.

.poz
.poz

Nowadays we are used to the high tech aseptic box of F1..

Xyz22
Xyz22

So Leclerc saying they have to improve in low speed corners, especially rotation.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

This confirms my suspicions that Bahrain might stop being Ferrari's best track. Ironically, I expect them to be stronger in Jeddah.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 16:56
So Leclerc saying they have to improve in low speed corners, especially rotation.
so its still understeering. ??

chrstphrln

Xyz22 wrote:
When did he say that?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrstphrln wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 18:53
Xyz22 wrote:
When did he say that?
A lion must kill its prey.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Fakepivot wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 18:47
Xyz22 wrote:
so its still understeering. ??
In low speed yes according to Charles but it seems an issue that is affecting all cars.

By the way, he has been mostly positive but highlighted where the car must improve.

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

chrstphrln wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 18:53
Xyz22 wrote:
When did he say that?
Actually he said all the teams show a tendency to understeer, it is a disinct behavior of cars based on this technical ruleset.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

is the nature of the track, being that its old and not resurfaced, I think that's what the commentators said at length during test, so less grip = more understeer ??

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

I think it's the nature of the regs, it's very hard to have a car that is balanced in all corners. You're either running very stiff suspension and then you're good in medium and high speed corners, but suck in slow corners, or vice versa, you're running soft suspension, but then you can't load your car too much as it will start porpoising in high speed.

Judging from the onboards, the SF24 is one of the pointiest cars on the grid, imo.

Xyz22
Xyz22

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 19:08
I think it's the nature of the regs, it's very hard to have a car that is balanced in all corners. You're either running very stiff suspension and then you're good in medium and high speed corners, but suck in slow corners, or vice versa, you're running soft suspension, but then you can't load your car too much as it will start porpoising in high speed.

Judging from the onboards, the SF24 is one of the pointiest cars on the grid, imo.
I guess the SF 23 was really good (at least compared to other 2023 cars) in low speed corners which is why Charles is now underlining that the car feels a bit understeery now.

What do you think?

Vanja #66

If this is related to slow speed understeer, as it reads, it might be Bahrain- or setup-specific. In any case, strong low speed performance usually means softer suspension (than other cars) which is in contradiction with medium- and high-speed cornering capabilities, which require stiff suspension to provide rigid floor platform to optimise floor aero performance. Both Sainz and Leclerc said they hope the car can keep all of the strong points, but were aware some compromises will likely have to be made.

Red Bull showed medium and high speed performance is much more beneficial over low speed corner. Many corners classified as low speed just a few years ago are now medium and this trend will continue in next 2 years. The faster these cars go, the better the floor performs, so at one point you're likely going to be forced to stiffen up the suspension just so that you can turn without too much trouble in low speed. It's all going that way right now...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Xyz22 wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 19:08

I guess the SF 23 was really good (at least compared to other 2023 cars) in low speed corners which is why Charles is now underlining that the car feels a bit understeery now.

What do you think?
Maybe. He’s grown used to having the best car in slow speed stuff, has been the case for 3 seasons at this point