Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: Mercedes W15

organic wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 19:45
Haven't seen other teams running up to that limit quite as much as Merc. If they had good correlation with as they claim I don't understand why they would need to do so much limit testing at testing compared to other teams
Its the first time they've drove a brand new car, why wouldn't they push to the absolute limit.

That would be part proving correlation surely

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Does anyone know are there any visible differences on the car today compared to the car from the tests?

Luscion
Luscion

Formula 1 fan wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:11
Does anyone know are there any visible differences on the car today compared to the car from the tests?
Mattchu a page back points out the difference, looks like the back of the sidepod has changed, and the stay is now vertical instead of at an angle

Mattchu wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 21:07
Looks like Merc have changed something at the back. This could just be fading eyes/the light/the angle/the stay not properly attached yet, but it looks like there`s now an opening at the back of the ramp, also the stay isn`t on an angle but goes straight up...

https://i.postimg.cc/hG0WfJxS/st.png

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Luscion wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:20
Formula 1 fan wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:11
Mattchu a page back points out the difference, looks like the back of the sidepod has changed, and the stay is now vertical instead of at an angle

Mattchu wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 21:07
Looks like Merc have changed something at the back. This could just be fading eyes/the light/the angle/the stay not properly attached yet, but it looks like there`s now an opening at the back of the ramp, also the stay isn`t on an angle but goes straight up...

https://i.postimg.cc/hG0WfJxS/st.png
Ok, thank you for the reply and explanation.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Mounted floor

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Flattened the floor edge towards the rear as well.

Surprising amount of change.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mantikos
mantikos

Owen.C93 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:39
Flattened the floor edge towards the rear as well.

Surprising amount of change.
Stand corrected
Last edited by mantikos on 29 Feb 2024, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Goblin42

Spent the past 15min trying to understand what changes are you guys talking about, it's literally the same spec as testing , the only change is how visible the sensor lines in the floor

wjpbill
wjpbill

The sidepod front underside now appears the same shape as it was in the launch render, sort of scalloped underneath.

At testing it wasn’t like that from the images and coverage I watched.

PlatinumZealot

The angle of the rear push-rod is extremely shallow. Can't be good for the dynamics of it, but I guess there is an aero benefit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Gabriox
Gabriox

wjpbill wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 23:56
The sidepod front underside now appears the same shape as it was in the launch render, sort of scalloped underneath.

At testing it wasn’t like that from the images and coverage I watched.
It might be the angle that's making it seem like it has underbite like the renders. That Picture was taken headon so it might be deceiving. Apart from that i can't see any other differences from testing and now

SparkyAMG

I don't think the floor's rear corner has changed, it looks like angle / lighting differences.

Hard to tell if the side pod inlets have changed from the front. I wouldn't be surprised if the underbite version showed up in the short term but I wouldn't have expected any big changes for this weekend.

Stu

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 03:46
The angle of the rear push-rod is extremely shallow. Can't be good for the dynamics of it, but I guess there is an aero benefit.
Welcome back PZ.
This matches my analysis, I’ve always been under the impression that the more horizontal the link the higher the loads are at the pivot, due to the effect of motion ratio; this also has a big impact on the sensitivity to changes in spring rate & damping.
It would be very interesting to see the innards of this set-up to see if there are any neat solutions regarding the motion ratio.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

El_KaPpa wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:04
The use of blue tape here is interesting! It looks as though the car is ‘out’ in the photo (there is another pic further up that shows the tape on both sides as well, but that is in the garage, so could be for transportation only, or being used as a ‘blind’)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.