2024 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Feb 29 - Mar 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marcel171281
marcel171281

Re: 2024 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Feb 29 - Mar 02

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 07:59
venkyhere wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 07:48
FW17 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 04:45
I think it will be difficult for Max this evening as he looks to have taken too much wing off the car.

Max seems to have lost 0.5 sec in the 2nd and 3rd sectors, which is huge. With DRS from the 2nd lap onwards, it is going to be difficult for him to get away and easier for Ferrari and Merc to attack Max. Max going to cook his tyres like he did in Las Vegas last year.
Front wing flaps can be changed between Q and race, right ? Also, from pics in car comparison thread, Redbull has the most aggressive rear wing of all.
What I reckon is going to be interesting, is how the fuel laden cars are going to behave coming out of T11 into T12 onto T13. What I saw from onboards, during testing as well as during fuel runs in the FPs, is that only RedBull is going full throttle through T12, others are having to lift.
No changing wing angles is forbidden in parc ferme
Front wing angle can be changed as they wish during the whole weekend. Also during the race at pit stops.

SparkyAMG

venkyhere wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 07:48
FW17 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 04:45
I think it will be difficult for Max this evening as he looks to have taken too much wing off the car.

Max seems to have lost 0.5 sec in the 2nd and 3rd sectors, which is huge. With DRS from the 2nd lap onwards, it is going to be difficult for him to get away and easier for Ferrari and Merc to attack Max. Max going to cook his tyres like he did in Las Vegas last year.
Front wing flaps can be changed between Q and race, right ? Also, from pics in car comparison thread, Redbull has the most aggressive rear wing of all.
What I reckon is going to be interesting, is how the fuel laden cars are going to behave coming out of T11 into T12 onto T13. What I saw from onboards, during testing as well as during fuel runs in the FPs, is that only RedBull is going full throttle through T12, others are having to lift.
They can be, but generally flap adjustments are to balance the car as the fuel load changes, not necessarily to increase the downforce level of the whole car.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Zynerji wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 00:04
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 21:33
Zynerji wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 20:27

Imagine if Steiner was fired years ago where HAAS would be today.🤯
The car was literally designed under his leadership :lol:
Yes, but now an actual Leader is operating it, and quickly showing where the real failure in the team was.
Qualifying was never an issue for then, if Hulk doesn't go backwards tomorrow then we can say they did something good.

renault rs26
renault rs26

CHT wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 02:54
max_speed wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 02:40
you all are forgetting Alonso. his strength is race craft. he is gonna be on podium for sure
Last year, AMR qualified in P5 and P8, this year, its P6 and P12. Considering the gap between Stroll and Alonso, I would say that Alonso has already given everything possible on a clear track during Q3.

Podium is possible for Alonso, but it will take more than a normal race to beat the Ferraris and RBR in race trim.
Last year Alonso was 0,5s ahead of Stroll yesterday was 0,4s, and gap to pole was just 0,3 just missing p3, last year was 0,6. Anyone between p2-p9 could be on podijum basically nothing between then in speed.

Vanja #66

Zynerji wrote:
Yes, but now an actual Leader is operating it, and quickly showing where the real failure in the team was.
You have got to be joking, Hulk was P10 last year as well and KMag was P17 and now P15 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

basti313
basti313

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 09:53
Zynerji wrote:
You have got to be joking, Hulk was P10 last year as well and KMag was P17 and now P15 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
True...I also do not see much of unusual improvement now. It is rather that Alpine went strongly backwards more than Haas being much better.
In this regard, I do not see how Alpine will get Hulk today and the difference is so huge that this will last. So Haas will maybe even finish the season better without even having anything done better.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Watto
Watto

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 09:53
Zynerji wrote:
Never let facts get in the way of a good story 😂😂

djones
djones

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 06:11
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 00:22
Front page Autosport:

So it looks like everyone set up for qualifying but Mercedes setup for the race. :lol:

I don't like how they make it seem like no one else focuses on the race.
All of this would have gone unsaid if it was Hamilton at P3. If Hamilton was in P3, everyone would be upbeat about Mercedes and the car. But when its George Russell, it just doesn't count. It certainly doesn't surprise me to see George up in P3.

The lack of respect for George is just breathtaking. He was the least picked driver in F1 Fantasy as well. Comes with the territory of being Hamilton's teammate I guess.
But we all know Hamilton puts priority on the race and George not so much. Likely one of the reasons in the races (where all things are equal) Hamilton is faster 8/10.

With that in mind, yes if Hamilton was 3rd we would all be more excited because it would mean he’s going to be even faster in the race. When George is 3rd we go “oh he’s more setup for single lap”.

I don’t dislike George. But has he ever actually done anything to consistently show he’s in even the top 10 of drivers in terms of a full weekend qual/race/craft/pace? Not for me…. He’s just mediocre.

DGP123
DGP123

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
The lack of respect for George is just breathtaking. He was the least picked driver in F1 Fantasy as well. Comes with the territory of being Hamilton's teammate I guess.
He’s coming off a woeful season, and makes too many errors, leading to unnecessary collisions. No real surprise he’s not fancied. He’s also not good at converting good Q performances, as his race pace has not been good enough.

I think today is a massive day for GR. Needs to step up today out of the shadow of LH, showcase an improvement in race pace, and deliver for the team. Get beat by LH today, and that is not a good look for him, or the team’s future

mendis
mendis

djones wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 10:55
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 00:22
Front page Autosport:

So it looks like everyone set up for qualifying but Mercedes setup for the race. :lol:

I don't like how they make it seem like no one else focuses on the race.
All of this would have gone unsaid if it was Hamilton at P3. If Hamilton was in P3, everyone would be upbeat about Mercedes and the car. But when its George Russell, it just doesn't count. It certainly doesn't surprise me to see George up in P3.

But we all know Hamilton puts priority on the race and George not so much. Likely one of the reasons in the races (where all things are equal) Hamilton is faster 8/10.

With that in mind, yes if Hamilton was 3rd we would all be more excited because it would mean he’s going to be even faster in the race. When George is 3rd we go “oh he’s more setup for single lap”.

I don’t dislike George. But has he ever actually done anything to consistently show he’s in even the top 10 of drivers in terms of a full weekend qual/race/craft/pace? Not for me…. He’s just mediocre.
This post couldn't be further from truth.

Watto
Watto

I think Mercedes goal more than anything here is confirming the W15 platform is working as expected that they can build from through there. They shown one off good races but largely on a poor platform. Think reading too much into quali in the first race isn’t what they’re after, bother George and Lewis seem happy with how thing are going so far,

I think we saw when Mercedes was dominate in battles with Ferrari in particular showed they can develop a platform well once it’s solid, I think they’ll do the same again so long as the W15 keep developing as their CFD/Sims suggest

Cs98
Cs98

With this convergence it seems like 5 teams are sort of within 3-4 tenths in quali. This is going to put more emphasis on quali set-ups compared to the last couple of years. You simply can't afford to start P9-10 even if your race car will be fast. All the cars ahead of you are fast enough to hold you up even if you are marginally faster in race pace. By the time you can stretch your legs in the 2nd stint you will be 10-15 seconds behind the lead with 4 cars in between and out of contention.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Cs98 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 12:03
With this convergence it seems like 5 teams are sort of within 3-4 tenths in quali. This is going to put more emphasis on quali set-ups compared to the last couple of years. You simply can't afford to start P9-10 even if your race car will be fast. All the cars ahead of you are fast enough to hold you up even if you are marginally faster in race pace. By the time you can stretch your legs in the 2nd stint you will be 10-15 seconds behind the lead with 4 cars in between and out of contention.
Fully agree. Very good assessment. =D>

Matt2725
Matt2725

djones wrote:
Yes, multiple times.

And clearly you do dislike him, otherwise what reason would you have to post such a false projection of him?

Cs98
Cs98

Matt2725 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 12:20
djones wrote:
Yes, multiple times.

And clearly you do dislike him, otherwise what reason would you have to post such a false projection of him?
"Mediocre" driver who is 1-1 with LH and tied him in quali last season. Boy, these "mediocre" guys are really good these days.