2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 21:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 19:54
You can single out Horner. The rest are founders and engineers whose contributions aremore obivous. Wolff did just as much if not more than Horner does. No need to diminish his contributions which mainly lie in how he manages people, resources and sets the culture.
Brawn did all the work to set the team up after he took over from Honda. He brought Schumi, Costa and a few others from the Red Baron era. When Mercedes did an illegal tyre test in 2013, Toto left Brawn to publicly defend the team on his own, I imagine he didn't want to be the face of the team if they were found guilty. Brawn's deep knowledge of rules, sport and precedents, as well as his abundant eloquence saved Mercedes' face that day. For his great work, he was given the boot - some culture that was! :lol:

On the other hand, it was Lauda who worked with Ecclestone to bring Hamilton to Mercedes. Toto was a businessman who bought his place in the team. Nobody can deny he had a great business nous to get inside both Williams and Mercedes at that time, but that was the extent of his prowess. PU was a beast for 8 straight years and allowed the team to make a car with loads of downforce without a care in the world for drag. Good suspension innovations were a nice addition to supplement their aero platform. Toto was a smart investor who knew not to get in the way of experts doing their stuff, I'll give him that.

Lauda was one Lewis' harshest critics during that time, and had no reason to be friendly towards him. And that's why it was Brawn had to go and do the final convincing. I have no clue why you count Ecclestone here, though.
Lewis Hamilton says Ross Brawn made the breakthrough in convincing him to join Mercedes' Formula 1 team for 2013 after remaining uncertain following initial conversations with Niki Lauda
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamil ... 5/4976965/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

CHT
CHT

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 02:44
Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
You can single out Horner. The rest are founders and engineers whose contributions aremore obivous. Wolff did just as much if not more than Horner does. No need to diminish his contributions which mainly lie in how he manages people, resources and sets the culture.
Brawn did all the work to set the team up after he took over from Honda. He brought Schumi, Costa and a few others from the Red Baron era. When Mercedes did an illegal tyre test in 2013, Toto left Brawn to publicly defend the team on his own, I imagine he didn't want to be the face of the team if they were found guilty. Brawn's deep knowledge of rules, sport and precedents, as well as his abundant eloquence saved Mercedes' face that day. For his great work, he was given the boot - some culture that was! :lol:

On the other hand, it was Lauda who worked with Ecclestone to bring Hamilton to Mercedes. Toto was a businessman who bought his place in the team. Nobody can deny he had a great business nous to get inside both Williams and Mercedes at that time, but that was the extent of his prowess. PU was a beast for 8 straight years and allowed the team to make a car with loads of downforce without a care in the world for drag. Good suspension innovations were a nice addition to supplement their aero platform. Toto was a smart investor who knew not to get in the way of experts doing their stuff, I'll give him that.

Lauda was one Lewis' harshest critics during that time, and had no reason to be friendly towards him. And that's why it was Brawn had to go and do the final convincing. I have no clue why you count Ecclestone here, though.
Lewis Hamilton says Ross Brawn made the breakthrough in convincing him to join Mercedes' Formula 1 team for 2013 after remaining uncertain following initial conversations with Niki Lauda
There are multiple factors, not just Brawn or Lauda. I believe it also has got to do with Ron Denis stepping down as TP, and Merc acquiring Brawn GP as team owner.

mendis
mendis

Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
You can single out Horner. The rest are founders and engineers whose contributions aremore obivous. Wolff did just as jimuch if not more than Horner does. No need to diminish his contributions which mainly lie in how he manages people, resources and sets the culture.

I have said these facts here a few times. Toto just rode a wave created by Brawn. He left as he felt he couldn't trust either Toto or Lauda (his own words). Toto has no clue how to build a team and that is a massive problem in the current scenario. 3 failed cars in a row while he is trying to lead a an invisible resurgence. He should have been a bigger man by letting James Vowels become team principal. But he appears too selfishly glued to that post and would let, anyone desiring for that position, leave the team. Lewis himself thinks this team is going nowhere and decided to leave.

Heimdall
Heimdall

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 21:09
Luscion wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 16:49
Apparently Lewis was also fixing/recovering? his battery for 10 laps and was derating down the straight and had brake temp issues as well

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... /10582702/
That was just because Lewis had drained his battery previously and needed to recharge it.
The main reason was that the battery was not working properly due to the wider engine issues. I guess it is not something normal to have a "dead" battery at recharging mode for 10 laps and lose significant amount of laptime just because you had to use it more at some point.

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 02:44
So where's Toto in all that? :lol:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Was toto even at mercedes in 2013? If he was he definitely was not team princioal and was not even a central figure at Merc so expecting him to take blame for the secret tire test is a bit…

Mosin123
Mosin123

mendis wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 04:40
Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
You can single out Horner. The rest are founders and engineers whose contributions aremore obivous. Wolff did just as jimuch if not more than Horner does. No need to diminish his contributions which mainly lie in how he manages people, resources and sets the culture.

I have said these facts here a few times. Toto just rode a wave created by Brawn. He left as he felt he couldn't trust either Toto or Lauda (his own words). Toto has no clue how to build a team and that is a massive problem in the current scenario. 3 failed cars in a row while he is trying to lead a an invisible resurgence. He should have been a bigger man by letting James Vowels become team principal. But he appears too selfishly glued to that post and would let, anyone desiring for that position, leave the team. Lewis himself thinks this team is going nowhere and decided to leave.
i dont think finishing 3rd and 2nd as failures. God help Horner if toto is a failure after just 2 full seasons with out winning. Toto has another 5 years to go before he is a big a failure as Horney Horner.

mendis
mendis

Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:41
mendis wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

i dont think finishing 3rd and 2nd as failures. God help Horner if toto is a failure after just 2 full seasons with out winning. Toto has another 5 years to go before he is a big a failure as Horney Horner.
I guess Lewis wasn't ready to give 5 years to Toto!

CHT
CHT

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:17
Was toto even at mercedes in 2013? If he was he definitely was not team princioal and was not even a central figure at Merc so expecting him to take blame for the secret tire test is a bit…
F1 is a billionaire playground, they come, they spend, they have fun, they sell and they leave.

Mosin123
Mosin123

mendis wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:43
Mosin123 wrote:
mendis wrote:
No, he decided to go Ferrari instead who havent won one since 2008....... finihsed behind Merc last season, and likely again this season, given how Ferrari are full of mistakes @ every GP.

Vanja #66

mendis wrote:
The problem is Toto wasn't ready to give Lewis more than 2 years. Going from "We will give Lewis his 8th title, no matter what it takes!" to not extending his contract for more than 2 years... Very honest way of driver management :mrgreen:

#BlessYouLaddie

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:46
mendis wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:

No, he decided to go Ferrari instead who havent won one since 2008....... finihsed behind Merc last season, and likely again this season, given how Ferrari are full of mistakes @ every GP.
Last year Ferrari finished behind Merc only because Merc could not afford even the most basic sportmanship of letting Fer repair Sainz's car after the manhole damage.

DGP123
DGP123

Ferrari only had themselves to blame for finishing P3. Leclerc & Sainz binning it in the walls at what felt like half the GP’s, was the reason. Should have been a comfortable P2. LV is just the go to complaint to cover the failures of the team strategy all season, and there woeful drivers performance.

Vanja #66

DGP123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:22
Ferrari only had themselves to blame for finishing P3. Leclerc & Sainz binning it in the walls at what felt like half the GP’s, was the reason. Should have been a comfortable P2. LV is just the go to complaint to cover the failures of the team strategy all season, and there woeful drivers performance.
Toto's quote from a few weeks after the Vegas race. Let's stop making stuff up and face the truth

If we lost the championship by five points because I have acted in sporting fairness, and the rules would have allowed me to actually penalise the car, I need to do this.

#BlessYouLaddie

Mosin123
Mosin123

AmateurDriver wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:03
Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:46
mendis wrote:
Last year Ferrari finished behind Merc only because Merc could not afford even the most basic sportmanship of letting Fer repair Sainz's car after the manhole damage.
Not allowing Ferrari to repair its car out side of the rules is lacking basic sportsmanship? i dont follow, or you have a different meaning to " sportsmanship " than the rest of the world. some would argue Merc showed sportsmanship for making sure the " Rules was respected " showing respect to all the other teams and drivers instead of disrespecting the rules to please one driver and one teams unfortunate damage?