2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
rijtuig
rijtuig

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 10:11
mendis wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:43
I guess Lewis wasn't ready to give 5 years to Toto!
The problem is Toto wasn't ready to give Lewis more than 2 years. Going from "We will give Lewis his 8th title, no matter what it takes!" to not extending his contract for more than 2 years... Very honest way of driver management :mrgreen:
I've been saying this for years, Toto is a terrible manager, or at least terrible in planning the future. Where RBR attracted the best of the best, Toto was lacking - doing bicep curls. Gotta give it to Horner & Co., they did a really good job. Whatever you think of AD21, never had the feeling that Toto really had Ham's back. It was not real, it was more like Coca-Cola Zero.

Vanja #66

Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 13:34
Not allowing Ferrari to repair its car out side of the rules is lacking basic sportsmanship? i dont follow, or you have a different meaning to " sportsmanship " than the rest of the world. some would argue Merc showed sportsmanship for making sure the " Rules was respected " showing respect to all the other teams and drivers instead of disrespecting the rules to please one driver and one teams unfortunate damage?
This was posted right before your post, he admitted an unfair move himself

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:56
Toto's quote from a few weeks after the Vegas race. Let's stop making stuff up and face the truth

If we lost the championship by five points because I have acted in sporting fairness, and the rules would have allowed me to actually penalise the car, I need to do this.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

stonehenge
stonehenge

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ll-streit/
Will Verstappen join Mercedes?

Lewis Hamilton's move to Ferrari has left a vacancy at Mercedes. The hottest candidate at the moment is Max Verstappen. Despite a Red Bull contract until 2028, the Horner affair could open the door to the outside world.

At first, it all sounds quite unlikely. Max Verstappen has a valid contract with Red Bull until 2028 and the Dutchman is in the best car. The season opener in Bahrain confirmed that. Why should the world champion leave this comfort zone?

There will be a vacancy at Mercedes in 2025 due to Lewis Hamilton's move to Ferrari. The contracts of 13 of the 20 drivers in the current field expire at the end of the year. All of them are keen on the open Mercedes cockpit. Mercedes would also have access to super talent Andrea Kimi Antonelli, and they could also persuade Formula 1 retiree Sebastian Vettel to make a comeback.

But at the moment, Max Verstappen is the hottest candidate for the Mercedes seat alongside George Russell. Not possible, you say? Anything goes in Formula 1. More and more evidence suggests that the sensational transfer could happen. And the affair surrounding Christian Horner is the lever for it. Or a welcome occasion.

Like Schumacher to Ferrari

Red Bull Sport boss Helmut Marko is concerned that the turmoil in the team could drive away not only Verstappen, but also star designer Adrian Newey and future engine partner Ford. Team boss Horner apparently believes that things can be done without his key figures. McLaren boss Ron Dennis once believed the same in the delusion of too much success. Until he successively lost constructor John Barnard, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.

Mercedes neither confirmed nor denied the Verstappen question. Toto Wolff responded after the Bahrain GP with a general statement: "The fastest drivers always want to be in the fastest car. And Red Bull currently has the fastest car."

The same was said of Michael Schumacher in 1995. And yet he went to Ferrari. Because he was convinced that a continuation of the Benetton winning streak would not make him any bigger. Only if he became world champion with several teams, especially with such a brilliant brand as Ferrari, which had not won anything for so long, would that be the step to true greatness. What Ferrari once was for Schumacher, Mercedes might be for Verstappen.

The Horner case as a means to an end

Another indication of a future at Mercedes is the timing of events. The Horner case has been simmering within the company since December. Why did the accusations against the Red Bull team boss for alleged inappropriate behavior towards a female employee come to light exactly four days after the Hamilton transfer became known? And why did a Dutch newspaper come forward twice with details of the story?

The Verstappen clan denies having anything to do with the anonymously circulated screenshots that allegedly show the chat history between Horner and the employee in question. In the same breath, however, he says that the team boss is no longer acceptable in his position. Knowing full well that the Thai Red Bull faction will play Horner's patron saint to the bitter end.

In this case, Toto Wolff is calling for the greatest possible transparency and a clear commitment to today's standard compliance rules, thereby automatically adding fuel to the fire. Anyone in his situation would do that because it increases the pressure. In Formula 1, everyone is their own boss, and having Verstappen or not having him can make the difference between winning and losing.

What will Alonso do?

It is not yet clear what is driving Verstappen's entourage to force Horner out of office. It must be more than just some marketing rights that are denied to the champion at Red Bull, but which he could get at Mercedes. Also more than a lack of respect, if Horner really believes he can win the title with any driver.

It could also be that Verstappen's management wants to bring the fastest driver of our time to Mercedes anyway, because there he can become a superhero and an ambassador for a brand that is one of the ten most important in the world. And because he perhaps has more confidence in Mercedes for the new engine formula from 2026 than his own engine project RB Powertrains. The Horner case would then only be a means to an end. Regardless of the outcome.

If Verstappen were to leave Red Bull for Mercedes, the most attractive cockpit in sporting terms would become available at Red Bull. And all those who are still eyeing the vacancy at Mercedes will switch their chips to Red Bull. Fernando Alonso, whose manager Flavio Briatore is on equally good terms with Wolff and Horner, is at the top of the list. The Spaniard may not officially want to make a fundamental decision about his future for a few weeks, but with these options the answer should be pretty clear.

Everyone else will have to wait until the top spots are filled. Like Carlos Sainz and Nico Hülkenberg, they can only keep themselves in the conversation through strong performances. Sebastian Vettel explained in an interview with the Neue Zürcher Zeitung that a comeback is not an urgent issue and that he still has time at the age of 36. In this case, waiting is the wrong approach.

Jos has previously used Merc for leverage against Rb; I’m not convinced this is any different. Doubt anything will come of this
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

mendis
mendis

I would love to see Jos taking Max to Mercedes. It would be good have a few more WDCs on the grid. :D

DGP123
DGP123

214270 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 14:46
Jos has previously used Merc for leverage against Rb; I’m not convinced this is any different. Doubt anything will come of this
Bang on. Zero chance Max leaves, just the opportunity has arisen to for them to use Mercedes and help drive out Horner. Max will be a five time wdc by the end of 25’ with RB, then he can make a decision.

maxxer
maxxer

214270 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 14:46
Max isnt stupid , his father didnt have a great carreer in f1 and after.
Max got there mostly on his own and his father is now tagging along.

stonehenge
stonehenge

I think we need to be careful. Yes, there are plenty of reasons to think Max going to Merc isn't likely. But there are enough reasons for it happening that we can't easily dismiss it:

-Horner-Verstappen Camp are in a power struggle.
-Verstappen doesn't want to keep racing as long as others.
-Verstappen seems pretty bored by his current dominance in F1.
-All F1 champions in the modern era have driven for multiple championship fighting teams.
-If Verstappen finishes his career with Red Bull, there will always be the question of how much was Verstappen and how much was the car, especially since he hasn't had a star teammate since Ricciardo left (and the Red Bull wasn't competitive then).
-Verstappen is unhappy with Red Bull's marketing clauses (at least such is the reporting). He wants more freedom to do marketing for his own brands/causes.
-Red Bull has become a big F1 brand, but it's still not a big car brand like Mercedes and Ferrari. That's something that might be appealing to him as he considers his legacy.

Again, these are just a few reasons, I'm sure some of them are less credible, and I'm sure there are others I missed. But I do think that these are enough to suggest that a move would not be as crazy as it might seem when you just hear "Verstappen to Mercedes."

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Max with Mercedes => it can happen in dream.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Is there any information if Mercedes will bring upgrades at the Jeddah race?

mkay
mkay

Formula 1 fan wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 15:31
Unlikely, otherwise we would have heard about it in Bahrain.

All I've seen is a rumour a huge upgrade package for Imola in 2 1/2 months.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

mkay wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:00
Formula 1 fan wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 15:31
Unlikely, otherwise we would have heard about it in Bahrain.

All I've seen is a rumour a huge upgrade package for Imola in 2 1/2 months.
Okay, thank you for reply, and before Imola, will Mercedes bring any upgrades before Imola,if they don't bring any upgrades before Imola it would mean that they will be fighting very hard for podiums before Imola ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“[On Thursday] during my work, we were doing identical car setups, and I was feeling great,” Hamilton said.

“We veered off – he went one way, and I went the other. You could say that the one I was on is not good on a single lap, but I hope it’s good in the race.

“I wasn’t comfortable with my race pace [in practice].

“So I changed the car to hopefully make the race pace better but we’ll see if that’s really the case.”

Put to him after the race that his team-mate chose a different setup, however, Russell argued that the Mercedes cars were in a similar ballpark with set-up – with his own better suit to race conditions.

He told media including PlanetF1.com: “Many people have said this.

“I don’t really know the big differences, to be honest, because as far as I’m aware with the cars we’re pretty similar.

“I don’t really focus too much on his set-up. Mine was actually more set up for the race than the set-up he ran. At least it was on Friday [for qualifying].”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george-ru ... rix-set-up
A lion must kill its prey.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 16:41
"Mine is more race focused"

"NO! Mine is more race focused"

"No I've got the race setup"

My only wish is one day some driver comes out and says no i opted for a quali setup i don't care about the race pace, even just as a joke.

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 13:34
AmateurDriver wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 11:03
Mosin123 wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 09:46

No, he decided to go Ferrari instead who havent won one since 2008....... finihsed behind Merc last season, and likely again this season, given how Ferrari are full of mistakes @ every GP.
Last year Ferrari finished behind Merc only because Merc could not afford even the most basic sportmanship of letting Fer repair Sainz's car after the manhole damage.
Not allowing Ferrari to repair its car out side of the rules is lacking basic sportsmanship? i dont follow, or you have a different meaning to " sportsmanship " than the rest of the world. some would argue Merc showed sportsmanship for making sure the " Rules was respected " showing respect to all the other teams and drivers instead of disrespecting the rules to please one driver and one teams unfortunate damage?
You are right. We have quite different ideas regarding "sportmanship". Moreover, let me point out that repairing the
car was PERMITTED by rules, provided that all teams agreed to let a team to recover from a damage they could not do anything to predict and avoid . Indeed all the teams bar one were willing to let them fix the car (contrarily to directive TD039, foe example, that was imposed by a minority of teams). I would dare to say that vast majority of pit lane do align with my definition of spormanship much more than yours.