2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adekf193
adekf193

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I understand that changing the concept requires learning practically from scratch, as the team itself said in the second half of last year.
Toto and the rest announced that they need a steep development curve to chase. It's not a problem that they will be behind RB, Ferrari, MCL and Aston in individual races, especially at the beginning, I expected it.

But despite changes to the gearbox and suspension, in the third year of technical regulations the car still has problems with an unstable rear end, bouncing.. Once again they still had doubts with the rear wing in the third training session, which is why Lewis again quickly puts together the settings before qualifying. It's depressing for fans, drivers and probably engineers.

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 23:35
Do all these die hard Mercedes fans really want the man they spent years cussing, dissing and slating to join the team? Max Verstappen?
The real question is which PU does Max see as good enough to fight for titles in 26 and beyond, with Ferrari being off the table
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Rodak
Rodak

adekf193 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:35
But despite changes to the gearbox and suspension, in the third year of technical regulations the car still has problems with an unstable rear end, bouncing.. Once again they still had doubts with the rear wing in the third training session, which is why Lewis again quickly puts together the settings before qualifying. It's depressing for fans, drivers and probably engineers.
Well color (or colour if you prefer) me confused. Aston uses the Mercedes gearbox and rear suspension and don't seem to have the same issues of an unstable rear end, so it's not that part of the car that's the problem. Looks like the floor is the issue as shown by the constant sparks from running so low, as well as the bouncing.

Luscion
Luscion

Rodak wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 02:53
adekf193 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:35
Well color (or colour if you prefer) me confused. Aston uses the Mercedes gearbox and rear suspension and don't seem to have the same issues of an unstable rear end, so it's not that part of the car that's the problem. Looks like the floor is the issue as shown by the constant sparks from running so low, as well as the bouncing.
Russell and Lewis talked about the car being a good base but lacking downforce in high speed corners in Bahrain, which seems to be the case here during turns 6, 7 and 8, they are also bouncing which according to both drivers is making the balance of the car shift. This is where they are losing all their time, they are down 9-10 kph during these corners compared to Red bull and Ferrari. Russell said he tried to push the car and was going 10kph faster than he did the entire weekend om his last push lap in quali and lost the car. They have no confidence in the car during this section

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

DGP123 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:50
Said it numerous times. There needs to be a complete rebuild there. The Allison appointment was a desperate, last ditch attempt to resurrect them during this awful era. It hasn’t worked.

It ridiculous to think Max would even contemplate going there, but that’s what a good job the media can do. Mercedes has been a been a sinking ship for some time, and I don’t see it being turned around anytime soon under Toto Wolff.

They might pick up some crumbs this year, and gain a few podiums, here or there. That’s about it. Sad times
Did anyone really think Mercedes was going to be fighting with Red Bull for a title this year? It isn't a total disaster. The car is something to build on. Russell qualified P3 last week.

Red Bull went through this after 2013.

Watto
Watto

AM have Aldo been following a concept they understand pretty well as a carry over from 23, where Merc are working from a clean slate in how to get the new car to work properly, setup details are all new

Watto
Watto

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 03:41
DGP123 wrote:
Said it numerous times. There needs to be a complete rebuild there. The Allison appointment was a desperate, last ditch attempt to resurrect them during this awful era. It hasn’t worked.

It ridiculous to think Max would even contemplate going there, but that’s what a good job the media can do. Mercedes has been a been a sinking ship for some time, and I don’t see it being turned around anytime soon under Toto Wolff.

They might pick up some crumbs this year, and gain a few podiums, here or there. That’s about it. Sad times
Did anyone really think Mercedes was going to be fighting with Red Bull for a title this year? It isn't a total disaster. The car is something to build on. Russell qualified P3 last week.

Yep agree. I think far more important to Merc this year especially early on is understanding the concept validating what they see in the sims and CFD etc translates into the car on track.

It’s something they struggled with the last 2 years.

So having the two in line i think is far more important than early results.

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton on lower downforce than George now. 2 tenths on the straight but losing bigtime in the corners.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

The final result does not reflect the real gap between them. Lewis on fresh rubber couldn’t beat Russells used tire run. That is slow.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Age might be playing a part in reflecting the resultant gap.

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
Do all these die hard Mercedes fans really want the man they spent years cussing, dissing and slating to join the team? Max Verstappen?
My guess is, they would certainly move over to Ferrari. Mercedes never had a loyal fan base. It was always the driver that brought the fans over to Mercedes. If Max moves over, he would bring his fans to Mercedes.

mendis
mendis

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:46
chrisc90 wrote:
The real question is which PU does Max see as good enough to fight for titles in 26 and beyond, with Ferrari being off the table
It would be insane for even Andy Cowell (if he has to assess with the information Max has at his disposal) to make a decision, 22 months ahead of of time as to which PU would be better in 2026.

CHT
CHT

mendis wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 05:44
chrisc90 wrote:
My guess is, they would certainly move over to Ferrari. Mercedes never had a loyal fan base. It was always the driver that brought the fans over to Mercedes. If Max moves over, he would bring his fans to Mercedes.

LH moving to an Italian base team is a risky one. though Merc is a German team, the factory is still based in UK just like Mclaren and LH may have to start learning how to speak Italian. If LH does well in Ferrari, it will be business as usual, if LH fails, fans will likely turn against Ferrari

Between now and then, it is likely LH fans will start supporting new driver and it is likely Max due to the new conspiracy that Max is turning his back on RBR to join Merc.

Sevach
Sevach

Watto wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 03:48
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Yep agree. I think far more important to Merc this year especially early on is understanding the concept validating what they see in the sims and CFD etc translates into the car on track.

In a less generous take it's crazy that in the 3rd year they still haven't figured out what ride height they can run.
They still setup the car so low that it hits the ground violently when lateral energy gets mixed with downforce.

Watto
Watto

Sevach wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 07:21
Watto wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 03:48
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

In a less generous take it's crazy that in the 3rd year they still haven't figured out what ride height they can run.
They still setup the car so low that it hits the ground violently when lateral energy gets mixed with downforce.
Yeah would agree here; but also the wrong cooling package last week even after all the testing comes off as odd- or at the very least not a mistake they’d make when they were dominating.