2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Matt2725
Matt2725

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

At least they haven't threatened to pull out of the sport, unlike a different team when they were a ways behind.

So maybe they have some hope yet.

Regarding Pete Bonnington, I suspect he's been handed a promotion, which may have swayed him. He's been a race engineer for over a decade now.

FW17

Hammerfist wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 18:04
venkyhere wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 16:30
zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 07:45

Did you see where both George Russell and Max Verstappen said that the cars are too low and their spines are being destroyed by bumps? These ground effect cars derive performance from being as low to the ground and as stiffly sprung as possible. Did you also see where the drivers are all saying dirty air is worse?

Allison is basically saying you can achieve closer racing by other means, not just ground effect regs that aren't proving to be the greatest thing since sliced bread (for a variety of reasons).

Ferrari and McLaren have got it so right that they'll each finish 250+ points (minimum) behind RB in the WDC and WCC.
Did you see 2022 season ? How close the fight was for P1 for the first half of the season ? And how cars were able to follow very close ? Just because one team did a good job 'developing' the car from a 'first time right' concept , and others are lagging behind, doesn't make the regulation a failure. The fact that the wake is again dirty now, is because teams have found clever ways to exploit loopholes in the rules and make their cars faster, fallout being following closely is not as easy as 2022.
Allisons rant is classic sour grapes.
Maybe Allison has an ulterior motive with his comments but I can’t disagree. These current cars concepts are not what f1 should be about. I even heard Perez complain about bouncing last weekend. So including the best car they all have ride/bouncing issues. Whenever you ride onboard with any driver you can hear the car hitting the ground and the sound it makes is reminiscent of a --- box road car that rattles a lot. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sports ffs.

You saying cars did not drag in the previous regulations?

f1isgood
f1isgood

Matt2725 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 18:14
At least they haven't threatened to pull out of the sport, unlike a different team when they were a ways behind.

So maybe they have some hope yet.

Regarding Pete Bonnington, I suspect he's been handed a promotion, which may have swayed him. He's been a race engineer for over a decade now.
Yeah probably because the team that threatened did so because it was because of factors outside their control unlike the current situation. The factor also known as engine which both the Silver and the Red team were not too comfortable sharing, thanks to potential fear of being beaten.

Bono is Merc through and through. No reason for him to move. He was there before Lewis and will remain after Lewis.

basti313
basti313

FW17 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 18:17
Hammerfist wrote:
venkyhere wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 16:30

Did you see 2022 season ? How close the fight was for P1 for the first half of the season ? And how cars were able to follow very close ? Just because one team did a good job 'developing' the car from a 'first time right' concept , and others are lagging behind, doesn't make the regulation a failure. The fact that the wake is again dirty now, is because teams have found clever ways to exploit loopholes in the rules and make their cars faster, fallout being following closely is not as easy as 2022.
Allisons rant is classic sour grapes.
Maybe Allison has an ulterior motive with his comments but I can’t disagree. These current cars concepts are not what f1 should be about. I even heard Perez complain about bouncing last weekend. So including the best car they all have ride/bouncing issues. Whenever you ride onboard with any driver you can hear the car hitting the ground and the sound it makes is reminiscent of a --- box road car that rattles a lot. This is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sports ffs.

At least with the V10 you did not hear it =D> :mrgreen:

I am surprised about the comment in multiple ways...I mean if we hear any GT3 or whatever on the inside...or F1 introducing Ti skids for sparks...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

basti313 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 19:02
FW17 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 18:17
Hammerfist wrote:

At least with the V10 you did not hear it =D> :mrgreen:

I am surprised about the comment in multiple ways...I mean if we hear any GT3 or whatever on the inside...or F1 introducing Ti skids for sparks...
Doesnt gt3 also use ground effects? Who the hell was talking about gt3 anyway. Smh..
Jeddah pole lap 21’

Jeddah pole lap 23’

Just listen to the sound on the straights at high speed. The rb20 rattles like a shitbox. The w12 does not.

stephen

I read a couple of news suggesting Alonso may join Mercedes in 2025. I personally don't think Mercedes will sign him. I expect them to go with a young driver.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Chuckjr

Why? Young drivers can’t offer 1/4th the feedback as that from a 2x champion and decades driving in the sport. Merc needs in depth feedback and a driver that can help them recover with good information from driving the car. No kid is going to be able to deliver whatFred can and will if given the chance.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10587338/

More experiments next weekend. I hope this yields some sort of results. On the flip side, Shovlin does make mention that whatever changes they made are reflecting in performance. A lot better than last year...even if they changed something, it wouldn't make a difference...setup wise

j_ste
j_ste

Chuckjr wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 05:14
Why? Young drivers can’t offer 1/4th the feedback as that from a 2x champion and decades driving in the sport. Merc needs in depth feedback and a driver that can help them recover with good information from driving the car. No kid is going to be able to deliver whatFred can and will if given the chance.
Merc have had a Lewis with them to give them feedback. Im not sure driver feedback is mattering much at Mercedes.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Driver feedback is better thought of as a part of a finetuning loop, not as part of fundamental design loop. People pay too much emphasis to driver feedback. It won't be the reason a car is bad or good inherently.

Il Leone
Il Leone

It appears that Merc have listened to Hamilton's demands and yet he appears to be struggling the most he ever has in these new regulations.

Sevach
Sevach

On the zero pod cars Mercedes probably needed to push the cockpit as far forward as the rules allow so they could put bigger radiators in the area on top and behind the engine, they thought the gains would beat whatever Lewis was missing in "feel".

Other than that we don't know what other things he asked, i mean "no bouncing on high speed corners" sure everyone wants that...
They can raise the car for that, but it will be have (even)less downforce on other parts of the lap.

mkay
mkay

Il Leone wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 13:28
It appears that Merc have listened to Hamilton's demands and yet he appears to be struggling the most he ever has in these new regulations.
It's a little irrelevant as they seem to be suffering from correlation issues. So whatever they think they've solved for with this year's car (on the sim) doesn't appear to work on the track.

j_ste
j_ste

Il Leone wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 13:28
He failed to get out of q1 in saudi 2022...so i wouldnt go that far.

But thats the point. Driver feedback doesnt matter much...ultimately, the work is done by people whose names we dont know. The drivers can only get the most out of what is given to them.
Guardiola is a genius but he wouldnt win anything at Sheffield United

Chuckjr

Case made for Fred to go to Merc. The cover page is misleading. They never claim any deal is signed. They discuss the exact same drivers that have been considered for the Merc seat in this forum.

Watching F1 since 1986.