Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

mvfad wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 17:13
The FIA needed to create ways for teams to give young drivers more opportunities. And it's not a very difficult thing to do. A simple example: it could give extra testing days to teams that hire F2 drivers. Young drivers also need more testing, so it would be a great way to encourage the hiring of these drivers.
I think the biggest issue is that there are only 20 driver slots, and far more drivers that look like they have that talent. Very unlikely that they are ever good enough to push out an established driver.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

Easiest way is just use the full allocation of slots available. Get 26 drivers on the grid rather than 20.

FW17

Does Ford have a formula cars driver development programme like other manufacturer?

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

FW17 wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 12:25
Does Ford have a formula cars driver development programme like other manufacturer?
Yes, it's called the Red Bull Driver Programme....
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

ringo

Zynerji wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 00:18
ringo wrote:
01 Sep 2023, 17:57
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Aug 2023, 19:02

Likely the sticking point. The article someone posted before in the Merc thread? said that Toto and Lewis use that 'Penny' as they dont like talking money between friends.
So it would seem, in my opinion, that Mercedes aren't going to be paying top dollar for a driver that's not putting it on the top step of the podium any more. Toto/Merc might have said, Look Lewis, we aren't getting the wins, as the cars not properly competitive with Red Bull, so we dont think your worth the £40million/year to finish P4-6 with the occasional podium thrown in the mix. George is on £8m/year and Lewis near enough 5x that amount. Its a lot to spend on a driver getting an occasional podium over the last 2 seasons. Of course there's the fan base and budget the marketing brings aswell from Lewis.

Tough one - clearly Lewis isn't happy with the offer Mercedes have come back with - which is going to be based marginally on the results the team are having. Lewis thinks i'm worth this much, Mercedes say X amount less. Makes perfect sense if he wanted to move away from base + results style to a full salary. As irrespective of whether he come first or 10th all season, he would get the same money being on a 'all in' contract.

Thing is....who would want to pay £40million/year for Lewis. That's the big question. Only the likes of Ferrari - but I cant see them spending twice what they paying Charles for Lewis coming to the end of his career.
Hamilton is a 7 x WDC. That a lone warrants a top salary. When Alonso has been racing in the midfield, why didn't you question him still being a top earner despite no results and just 2 WDC from 2006?
There should be more respect and recognition coming from long term F-1 fans towards Hamilton. He is not a rookie, nor a journey man. He doesn't need performance clauses to demand the highest salary in the sport.
He's the most successful F-1 pilot of all time, and has earned formula 1 more money over his 16 years from his fan following alone than F-1 can ever compensate him for. The day Hamilton quits F-1, that's the day F-1 loses 50% of its fans. Even his detractors watch formula one to see him not win.
It is rumoured he is getting 50 million per year. I do not know how media arise at this figure, but it's not surprising and makes a lot of sense, given Liberty's growing viewership around the world. More reasons for Mercedes to compensate Hamilton more.
Meh.

What has he done, lately? Having the best car and engine combo for YEARS then entitles a driver to charge more in the future? Is that a lottery win, or what?

Hamilton is a great. Probably the GOAT.

That doesn't override the fact that anyone driving his car from 2014-2021 would have won WCC as well. 🙄 So it's really not that special.
What a prediction :P . I have been off the site for a while. But I think this point proves that differing perspectives on things do not equate to trolling or playing devil's advocate. There is a tendency to dismiss differing opinions, but Ferrari were seeing the same perspective that I saw. I saw the move coming from afar.
For Sure!!

Big Gun
Big Gun

If Max goes to Mercedes, surely they would need Alonso? Even if Max stayed and RBR brought in Alonso it would fire!

To the people critizing Ricciardo, give him some time, a lot can change in a few races, all of a sudden Sainz is a top tier driver and better than Hamilton? i'm sure Lecerc will start to get on top of Sainz again, and i'm sure Hamilton will beat Russell (especially as he has better race pace)

Jurgen von Diaz

Big Gun wrote:If Max goes to Mercedes, surely they would need Alonso? Even if Max stayed and RBR brought in Alonso it would fire!

To the people critizing Ricciardo, give him some time, a lot can change in a few races, all of a sudden Sainz is a top tier driver and better than Hamilton? i'm sure Lecerc will start to get on top of Sainz again, and i'm sure Hamilton will beat Russell (especially as he has better race pace)
Time for Ricciardo? His last decent season was in 2020. I don't think time is on his side. He is in a hurry to prove that he is not the driver who can't adapt to any car anymore, and Lawson is hunting for that seat.

chrisc90

Well called ringo!

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Big Gun wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 16:20
If Max goes to Mercedes, surely they would need Alonso? Even if Max stayed and RBR brought in Alonso it would fire!

Sainz has always been a top driver.

I feel bad for Ricciardo, but something isn't right with him.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Big Gun
Big Gun

No I dont rank Sainz as top tier (yet)

Top tier A
Max
Alonso
Hamilton
Lecerc

Maybe Norris just makes tier A

Top tier B
Russell
Sainz

an Piastri just makes tier B.

Think any one of the tier A can be Champion if the car is close to the best, where as tier B can be champion if the car is close to the best and their teamate has a difficult season

DGP123
DGP123

Agree. We live in a recency biased world, fuelled by the media. Sainz is not a top driver. Ferrari were fed up of him last season, and it’s why Ferrari decided to replace him. Hamilton struggling in a poor Merc, is also aiding Sainz’ reputation.

He’s a solid driver is Sainz, but not elite.

chrisc90

It’ll be interesting to see how Sainz does this year.

It’s a bit like football where people just stick a little more effort in just prior to the transfer window.

Jurgen von Diaz

Big Gun wrote:No I dont rank Sainz as top tier (yet)

Top tier A
Max
Alonso
Hamilton
Lecerc

Top tier B
Russell
Sainz

Think any one of the tier A can be Champion if the car is close to the best, where as tier B can be champion if the car is close to the best and their teamate has a difficult season
There is only one driver in

Top Tier 1: Verstappen.

Top Tier 2: Hamilton, Alonso and so on...

Big Gun
Big Gun

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 17:05
Big Gun wrote:No I dont rank Sainz as top tier (yet)

Top tier A
Max
Alonso
Hamilton
Lecerc

Top tier B
Russell
Sainz

There is only one driver in

Top Tier 1: Verstappen.

Top Tier 2: Hamilton, Alonso and so on...
To be fair I would agree, Max is on a Tier all by himself, (Q Pace, Raw Pace, Race pace) although if Max was in the same team as Alonso or Hamilton I think they would be the only drivers to push him on race pace, which is why It would be fun if Alonso goes to Redbull, Alonso would qualify next to Max (not 2 rows back like Perez) an Alonso's racepace and tire management wouldnt allow Max to run off and hide. Would be mch more fun than watch Perez crawling through the field then making it to 2nd an laping 1 second slower than Max.

Come on RBR do it!

falonso81

Sainz would want to go to a team that would at least offer him an equal status to his teammate. RedBull is not an option as long as Max is there. Merc is on a downhill path. Aston is an option (if Alonso jumps ship) but does not look good either. Maybe he will opt for a year out, as i do not see any viable option for him atm.