2024 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, April 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, April 05 - 07

You can tell Lewis is a liberal because he cancelled George Russell.

Disappointing quali for Ferrari but there is no way they are 1s/lap faster than RBR and LEC has had a poor quali today, again, has to snap out of it.

avantman
avantman

AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:06
“Hamilton isn’t good in high speed turns”

Proceeds to destroy Russell in Suzuka! The track with the most high speed corners…
just shows how in fact average Russell really is.
Young, fast top form Hamilton has been mostly outperformed by both Button and Rosberg over the years at this track. Russell can't do anything against old Lewis at Suzuka. This fact speaks for itself.

Cs98
Cs98

avantman wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:12
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Proceeds to destroy Russell in Suzuka! The track with the most high speed corners…
Young, fast top form Hamilton has been mostly outperformed by both Button and Rosberg over the years at this track. Russell can't do anything against old Lewis at Suzuka. This fact speaks for itself.
George being "average" would not reflect well on Hamilton.

Cs98
Cs98

Leclerc driving himself out of the championship... again.

avantman
avantman

Where was the so-called 'fastest man in F1' and the 'best qualifier on the grid' again today? Has he already blamed the car, the team or the wrong tire strategy?

avantman
avantman

Cs98 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:19
avantman wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

it's fully understandable that Hamilton being almost 40 loses pace, I was expecting a lot more from Russell.

Cs98
Cs98

avantman wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:21
Cs98 wrote:
avantman wrote:

it's fully understandable that Hamilton being almost 40 loses pace, I was expecting a lot more from Russell.
So you think Lewis has declined to the point where you expect Russell to beat him every weekend? Interesting, and you call Russell "average". That really does not reflect well on current Lewis then.

avantman
avantman

Cs98 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:25
avantman wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

So you think Lewis has declined to the point where you expect Russell to beat him every weekend? Interesting, and you call Russell "average". That really does not reflect well on current Lewis then.
I think Lewis, as any other driver over 35, has declined in qualifying. I never expected Russell to beat Lewis every weekend, but I expected him to be faster say 6-7 out of 10 times. I was also expecting Lewis to be still better in race trim more often than not. But what we have now, after two years, they are near 50/50 in quali, and Lewis obviously is still far better, more reliable and consistent races, even if his loss of motivation and interest driving uncompetitive cars is quite obvious(and also expected). The fact than Russell can't show anything great at such drivers track as Suzuka tells us a lot about his genuine ultimate talent. Outqulified by Lewis 3 out of 3 times at Suzuka(the only of Lewis teammates), beaten by 0,3s two years in a row. This is a lot!

Cs98
Cs98

avantman wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:32
Cs98 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:25
avantman wrote:

I think Lewis, as any other driver over 35, has declined in qualifying. I never expected Russell to beat Lewis every weekend, but I expected him to be faster say 6-7 out of 10 times. I was also expecting Lewis to be still better in race trim more often than not. But what we have now, after two years, they are near 50/50 in quali, and Lewis obviously is still far better, more reliable and consistent races, even if his loss of motivation and interest driving unncompetitive cars is quite obvious(and also expected).
The quali is 3-1 this season, so better than your numbers. And Lewis' race performances have been lackluster this year. If he isn't motivated he shouldn't be driving, motivation and bringing your best is part of the job.

venkyhere
venkyhere

maxxer wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:09
Mansell89 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 08:58
Why oh why do we have to suffer David Crofts “commentary”

Yet again mixing drivers up and not able to sync up the car on screen versus the one on the timings.

The coverage on TV gets poorer :(
He is just talking and talking without watching , how many times he mentioned "cherry blossoms this time of year" but jack is just as bad if they would just shut up and actually comment on what is going on instead of just bullshit into the microphone
Jack Doohan could make a very good commentator. Always talks genuine points and being an actual driver, is insightful. Tired of SKY-gang/F1tv-gang and the entire 'brit diaspora' who are looking for the smallest opportunity to heap praise on HAM/RUS/NOR if they do something mundane a bit better. The worst of all is Buxton.

Btw, looks like LeClerc is on a 2023-Perez cycle this year. Now he will try even harder and make more overambitious mistakes.

JordanMugen

Verstappen: "Not bad."

Great job by both Red Bull - Honda drivers, especially Perez! Incredible effort by Perez on a non-street track with minimal 90 degree bends!

Great job by Sainz and Norris. Alonso too! He seems happy with his P5.

Cracking effort by Tsunoda, slightly ahead of a much improved Ricciardo.

avantman wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:20
Where was the so-called 'fastest man in F1' and the 'best qualifier on the grid' again today?
7th place IIRC, Russell was 8th IIRC.

Mercedes don't gain much on new softs in qualifying, I think it's a tyre thing. It must be a tyre thing!

On the positive side, the Mercedes drivers report an excellent balance to the car. Allison's design is proving to be quite a good of kit. =D>

As Allison said himself, it's circuit that need a low-high speed balance compromise that are a problem as well as warm track temps that are a problem (another tyre temperature "thing").

Big Gun
Big Gun

Alonso was the stand out for me, beating the Mercs, Piastri and Lecerc and just 0.04 behind Sainz, I think he beat cars that are faster than his especially in Q3

venkyhere
venkyhere

Just checked the data...
VER & NOR are almost identical through "the S's" (T3 to T6) and gain time over SAI and HAM.
Thereafter VER gains marginal time over SAI and HAM through the end of S1 and start of S2 (T7-T8-T9-T10), but gains a lot of time over NOR through this portion. Will be interesting to see how this S1-S2 transition plays out tomorrow esp if there is a safety car restart

AMG.Tzan

What’s so wrong with Leclerc?? Bad mentality starting to creep in??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

avantman
avantman

Big Gun wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:20
Alonso was the stand out for me, beating the Mercs, Piastri and Lecerc and just 0.04 behind Sainz, I think he beat cars that are faster than his especially in Q3
Max, Fernando and Lando are three best drivers in F1 right now and over the past two years. The most consistent overall in all sorts of conditions on all sorts of race tracks. Showed again today why.