2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

j_ste wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 10:26
When is the earliest you can work on the 2026 car?
January, 2025

Any onboard footage to clear up the potential damage LH is talking about with Charles? Certainly something was up, either that, or as Toto alluded to, Lewis was just over managing trying for a one stop? Lewis was quicker in the next stints, so doesn’t really add up, only losing time to GR through the undercut, and then the second pit stop error.

Venturiation
Venturiation

3 years of data

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:08
With a track like this highlighting the deficiencies in the car, This will be a long ass season. Pitstops still slow and can't optimise strategy because racepace is slow lool With Lewis, this guy lets Russell by gets the undercut then complains on the radio about how did they lose so much time. He probably knows deep down he has no authority in this team anymore. The relationship is ending in a bitter divorce.
It’s the same problem they had last year where the car is very slow on heavy fuel. It gets better at the end but it’s too little too late. Some thought it had to do with the fuel tank positioning last year as it was too high and altered the center of gravity negatively. The tank was lowered this year but they still have the same problem.

Lewis letting George by I’ve never seen him do that before. I knew this would be an awkward season for him and it’s starting to get really awkward.

Merc is so lucky Aston Martin has only one driver. They are the fifth best car right know so their normal positions are p9 and p10.

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 19:16
chrisc90 wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 18:39
Luscion wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 18:22
Lewis saying it's the best the car has felt all season, he hasn't changed much and intends to pretty much leave it where it is. George also agrees the car is really nice to drive

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10595149/
Maybe this will be the first time they aren’t chasing the setup?
All bets regarding Mercedes pace are off, until 5 race laps are done on a Sunday. Whatever they say and do on the previous two days has no relevance. That's my take.
This is where I get to say "I told you so". :mrgreen:

DGP123
DGP123

Hammerfist wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:05
Lewis letting George by I’ve never seen him do that before. I knew this would be an awkward season for him and it’s starting to get really awkward.
That’s why I want to see if there was damage from contact with Charles at the restart that Lewis was referring too. Even letting George go by, George didn’t go anywhere, and Lewis was 1.5s behind George for a sustained period of time, until the pit stop/undercut.

Luscion
Luscion

Hammerfist wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
With a track like this highlighting the deficiencies in the car, This will be a long ass season. Pitstops still slow and can't optimise strategy because racepace is slow lool With Lewis, this guy lets Russell by gets the undercut then complains on the radio about how did they lose so much time. He probably knows deep down he has no authority in this team anymore. The relationship is ending in a bitter divorce.
It’s the same problem they had last year where the car is very slow on heavy fuel. It gets better at the end but it’s too little too late. Some thought it had to do with the fuel tank positioning last year as it was too high and altered the center of gravity negatively. The tank was lowered this year but they still have the same problem.

Lewis letting George by I’ve never seen him do that before. I knew this would be an awkward season for him and it’s starting to get really and awkward.

Merc is so lucky Aston Martin has only one driver. They are the fifth best car right know so their normal positions are p9 and p10.
Merc usually had better pace with the car full of fuel on Sundays than in quali last year. Lewis said he has tons of understeer, he was much slower than Russell so why hold him up just to cause both of them to lose tons of time. Seems to be more a temperature issue with tires like both Allison and this weekend, Bradley lord was talking about more than anything. Even on their second stint with the hards they were still slow and the car would have burnt off quite a bit of fuel by then, they put the mediums and then had pace
Last edited by Luscion on 07 Apr 2024, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

chrisc90

DGP123 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:16
Hammerfist wrote:
That’s why I want to see if there was damage from contact with Charles at the restart that Lewis was referring too. Even letting George go by, George didn’t go anywhere, and Lewis was 1.5s behind George for a sustained period of time, until the pit stop/undercut.
Right at the start of the 2nd restart?

DGP123
DGP123

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:20
DGP123 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Yes. Haven’t seen any onboard footage

“I think I picked up a bit of damage in the beginning with Charles, came on the outside. I had huuuge understeer for the first stint. I couldn’t turn the car in any of the corners, that’s why I let George by.”

chrisc90

Very hard to tell. If anything, there might be very very little contact with Lewis's right front wing with Charles left rear tyre. Would need to find a photo in the early laps to see if there was any damage to the wing endplate.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Luscion wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:18
Hammerfist wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:

Lewis letting George by I’ve never seen him do that before. I knew this would be an awkward season for him and it’s starting to get really and awkward.

Merc usually had better pace with the car full of fuel on Sundays than in quali last year. Lewis said he has tons of understeer, he was much slower than Russell so why hold him up just to cause both of them to lose tons of time. Seems to be more a temperature issue with tires like both Allison and this weekend, Bradley lord was talking about more than anything. Even on their second stint with the hards they were still slow and the car would have burnt off quite a bit of fuel by then, they put the mediums and then had pace
No Merc problems with heavy fuel was pretty much well documented last year. Yeah they were normally stronger in the race than quali but the pace usually came later in the race. We see the same thing this year. They weren’t slow on the second set of hards initially. They just fell out of sequence with the other cars around them having fresher tires. Maybe it simply has to do with their strategy and they over manage the tires early, especially Lewis.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

DGP123 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:22
chrisc90 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:20
DGP123 wrote:

Yes. Haven’t seen any onboard footage

“I think I picked up a bit of damage in the beginning with Charles, came on the outside. I had huuuge understeer for the first stint. I couldn’t turn the car in any of the corners, that’s why I let George by.”
But this doesn’t explain why he was faster than George in the last 2 stints.

chrisc90

Link for anyone wanting to see the start.

SKYnRacing24

Hammerfist wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:

One of the worst things ive seen him do tbh. Its the defeatist mentality thats gonna break him if he doesn't get into the right frame of mind and Russell will use it against him, He knows the team are changing guard and Lewis probably feels out of place and on burrowed time. I believe he still has the pace and there was at times after he made a flap adjustment to counter the underrsteer but as fan. This is brutal to watch, Its officially his worst start in F1.
Last edited by SKYnRacing24 on 07 Apr 2024, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

ali623
ali623

Venturiation wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 10:49
3 years of data
It's the same cycle since the start of 2022... This time last year (20th April, after Aus GP):

"In terms of car development, it is encouraging to see that within three races, we understand the car much better, we have defined a clear direction where we need to go and I believe we are on the right trajectory," Wolff told Mercedes' website.
Last edited by ali623 on 07 Apr 2024, 11:49, edited 2 times in total.

chrisc90

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:46
Hammerfist wrote:
SKYnRacing24 wrote:

One of the worst things ive seen him do tbh. Its the defeatist mentality thats gonna break him if he doesn't get into the right frame of mind and Russell will use it against him, He knows the team are changing guard and Lewis probably feels out of place and on burrowed time. I believe he still has the pace and there was at times after he made a flap adjustment to counter the oversteer but as fan. This is brutal to watch, Its officially his worst start in F1.
Whilst im sure its never what the fans of the driver want to see, you have to give him some credit though. He recognised that he wasnt the fastest and George was much faster behind in that first stint. Lewis probably thought the car(s) were in a good spot coming from his comments earlier in the weekend regarding the balance etc. If he thought his, little, contact with Charles was affecting his race with a poor front end, then makes sense to allow your team mate through to maximise the teams potential of points.

Why battle for a handful of laps with your team-mate and kill 2 sets of tyres when you know your cars not 'working' as it should be?