2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NAPI10
NAPI10

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Big Gun wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 15:21
For China with the long long Back straight that comes off the emankment, provided Stroll makes it to Q3 he could provide alonso the slipstream off the long straight probably adding 4 tenths to Alonso's time, and with close nature qualy this season it has could be the diffenece of 6th to3rd at least.
thoughts?
This is what Alonso feels," I think China with these long corners, front limited circuit, maybe like Australia, I expect Ferrari to be very fast, but also Red Bull and yeah, let’s see, we have a very powerful DRS and maybe that helps in the long China straight, so let’s see.”

Its 'Long Straights' vs 'Slow corners'.2 DRS zones will definitely help the car during quali but car characteristic has changed so much; not sure if this track will suit them.

Big Gun
Big Gun

NAPI10 wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:35
Big Gun wrote:
For China with the long long Back straight that comes off the emankment, provided Stroll makes it to Q3 he could provide alonso the slipstream off the long straight probably adding 4 tenths to Alonso's time, and with close nature qualy this season it has could be the diffenece of 6th to3rd at least.
thoughts?
This is what Alonso feels," I think China with these long corners, front limited circuit, maybe like Australia, I expect Ferrari to be very fast, but also Red Bull and yeah, let’s see, we have a very powerful DRS and maybe that helps in the long China straight, so let’s see.”

Its 'Long Straights' vs 'Slow corners'.2 DRS zones will definitely help the car during quali but car characteristic has changed so much; not sure if this track will suit them.
If I was in charge of Aston Martin, I would definatly have Stroll Slipstream Alonso on the long back straight, could easily add half a second to Alonso's Q3 time which could potentially get him a front row start considering how close the gaps have been in in qualiying this year...

NAPI10
NAPI10

Big Gun wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 16:15
NAPI10 wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 14:35
Big Gun wrote:
thoughts?

If I was in charge of Aston Martin, I would definatly have Stroll Slipstream Alonso on the long back straight, could easily add half a second to Alonso's Q3 time which could potentially get him a front row start considering how close the gaps have been in in qualiying this year...
It will be other way round; Alonso pulling Lance out of Q1 exit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Gun
Big Gun

I could actually see that happening, especially if Alonso is comfortantly in Q2 lol.

But if they both make it to Q3, Stroll should give Alonso some slipstream, because realsitically he's the driver to challenge Qualyfying for the front 2 rows. an starting that high will give him a chance to finish high in the race....

Nikosar
Nikosar

After the race, Alonso said , "P6 today is completely unrealistic. I think this is my best weekend, certainly in the top five of my career. For me, P5 in qualifying and P6 today are completely out of position, so I'm very proud but I'm 44 seconds behind the leader. It doesn't feel attractive in the same time, so let's see."

And then closed the door to any chance for Mercedes, by saying : "Mercedes is behind, so it's not so attractive".

Even with the best upgrades it will be very difficult to close the gap with Ferrari and Red Bull so not sure Alonso is still motivated to continue. Unless for a big pay check.

+ growing rumours about Sainz getting a seat at Aston Martin for 2025....

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Gun wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 18:14
I could actually see that happening, especially if Alonso is comfortantly in Q2 lol.

But if they both make it to Q3, Stroll should give Alonso some slipstream, because realsitically he's the driver to challenge Qualyfying for the front 2 rows. an starting that high will give him a chance to finish high in the race....
In a place like China, I don't think qualifying will make too much difference. It's a high deg circuit with an enormous back straight. The back straight makes it impossible to defend. I'm not sure why they put DRS there.

Otromundo

Of course, both drivers starting as far ahead as possible would be great. So mutual qualification slipstreams could help.

But it would be useless if they don't do the devilish curves extremely well. I think this is the key to the race. Those who punish the tires the least despite going fast through the corners... will win. It seems to me.

Leaving aside the RB and Ferrari especially after seeing the exhibition of Leclerc and his tires in Suzuka... McL, MB and us would come close together behind. The Mercedes patrol. The only advantage is Piastri and his tire problems I think. That would allow FA to go behind NOR or.... maybe ahead. As long as the Mercedes still can't find the key, of course.

There is rain forecast in Shanghai on Sunday, from 8am to 2pm, coincidentally. Little rain but a long time seems the worst to me. We'll see what happens. I still think that FA would benefit from the rain because he performs well in complicated situations. And others, not so much.

Edited: Shanghai expected humidity and temperature in the environment 86-95% - 25º C
If the weather forecasts are correct I think we will see a tough race.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Nikosar wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 18:22
After the race, Alonso said , "P6 today is completely unrealistic. I think this is my best weekend, certainly in the top five of my career. For me, P5 in qualifying and P6 today are completely out of position, so I'm very proud but I'm 44 seconds behind the leader. It doesn't feel attractive in the same time, so let's see."

And then closed the door to any chance for Mercedes, by saying : "Mercedes is behind, so it's not so attractive".

Even with the best upgrades it will be very difficult to close the gap with Ferrari and Red Bull so not sure Alonso is still motivated to continue. Unless for a big pay check.

Alonso’s tone towards the team has changed since last 2 weeks.He is back to last season character; he is not going anywhere soon.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 20:25
Big Gun wrote:

In a place like China, I don't think qualifying will make too much difference. It's a high deg circuit with an enormous back straight. The back straight makes it impossible to defend. I'm not sure why they put DRS there.
Let's see how these cars behave in dirty air in this track. I remember 2017 where overtaking was quite difficult as the corners before the long back straight were a nightmare for dirty air.

Alonso_fin
Alonso_fin

NAPI10 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 02:41
Nikosar wrote:

Alonso’s tone towards the team has changed since last 2 weeks.He is back to last season character; he is not going anywhere soon.
I really hope this is the case, he's the only reason I continue to follow the sport. Let's see how these next few GP's turn out. I don't know too much about the technical stuff, but has the cars charasteristics changed a lot from last year, as in would we still be strong in Monaco like last year?
Watching F1 since 2004.

xReVo
xReVo

NAPI10 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 02:41
Nikosar wrote:

Alonso hasn't won a race since 2013, considering his skill, can you believe something like that? I do not. If the Redbull hypothesis were true he must go there without thinking twice and it doesn't exist may Aston be disappointed, he's 42 years old, what chance does he still have of having a winning car?

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 10:55
AR3-GP wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 20:25
Big Gun wrote:

Let's see how these cars behave in dirty air in this track. I remember 2017 where overtaking was quite difficult as the corners before the long back straight were a nightmare for dirty air.
The Pirelli tire Analysis for Shanghai in 2019 had the abrasiveness of Shanghai at 3, so 1 lower than Japan.

Pirelli said back before the Japanese GP that the tire allocation for China GP would be the C2,C3,C4, one grade softer than Japan but harder than Australia that had C3,C4 and C5.

China has traditionally been a 1 stopper. The 2024 tire analysis should come out in the next few days.

-wkst-
-wkst-

It's sprint weekend, means:

2x hard, 4x medium, 6x soft

- 1 set must be returned after FP1
- 1 set must be returned after the sprint (the set with the highest numbers of laps in the sprint)
- 3 sets must be returned after the "normal" Q

- sprint Q tyres: 2x new medium (Q1 and Q2), 1x soft (Q3)

Shanghai was a 2-stopper last time.

----------------

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/new ... take-shape

After their cool videos in the past, this time there is absolutely nothing with news value.

They obviously don't want to show anything from bulding 3 (windtunnel), even from the outside. Building 2 (newest building) also nothing from the inside...

jofs89
jofs89

-wkst- wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 15:41

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/new ... take-shape

After their cool videos in the past, this time there is absolutely nothing with news value.

They obviously don't want to show anything from bulding 3 (windtunnel), even from the outside. Building 2 (newest building) also nothing from the inside...
Not much of a looker is it...

chrisc90