Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Dunlay wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 12:26
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 11:47
I don’t see why Horner would want someone to challenge for number 1.

As a team, you want both your drivers to finish the best possible position, so having someone who could pic up 2nd place would do just fine.

All about maximising the points for the team.
Consider the unfolding dynamics: Jos openly advocated for Horner's removal, while Max remained ambiguous in his support. However, when Marko faced potential suspension for leaking chats, Max swiftly backed him. As a team principal and CEO, if your top driver doesn't fully support you, wouldn't you seek an ally who could challenge the incumbent No.1 and weaken your opposition? Horner shouldn't tolerate Jos' influence solely because he's Max's father. Introducing a challenger would either force compliance or elimination of opposition. It's not just about winning championships; it's about Horner solidifying his authority for the future.

Besides, it would be good for F1 show to have challenge for WDC title. Just a complimentary situation.
Force compliance how? Max would wipe the floor with him and strengthen his own position even further. There's a reason the Verstappens have a lot of influence in that team, they know their value, and so does Horner.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Cs98 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 10:54
Dunlay wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 11:47
I don’t see why Horner would want someone to challenge for number 1.

As a team, you want both your drivers to finish the best possible position, so having someone who could pic up 2nd place would do just fine.

All about maximising the points for the team.
Consider the unfolding dynamics: Jos openly advocated for Horner's removal, while Max remained ambiguous in his support. However, when Marko faced potential suspension for leaking chats, Max swiftly backed him. As a team principal and CEO, if your top driver doesn't fully support you, wouldn't you seek an ally who could challenge the incumbent No.1 and weaken your opposition? Horner shouldn't tolerate Jos' influence solely because he's Max's father. Introducing a challenger would either force compliance or elimination of opposition. It's not just about winning championships; it's about Horner solidifying his authority for the future.

Besides, it would be good for F1 show to have challenge for WDC title. Just a complimentary situation.
Force compliance how? Max would wipe the floor with him and strengthen his own position even further. There's a reason the Verstappens have a lot of influence in that team, they know their value, and so does Horner.
I respect the fan emotion. Speaking of an event that has never occurred with so much of certainly doesn't augur well in a discussion. It's a possibility that Max can beat Alonso and the reverse could be true as well. There is no way to find out. If I look at a sample size of Monaco qualifying last year, it isn't a foregone conclusion that Max would "wipe the floor". In the best car of the field, he barely beat Alonso when his car was upto the mark as well. Max even touched walls to bring that last hundredth. If that sort of pressure is put consistently, for a driver that has had moments like Silverstone and Monza, there is definite possibility of cracking. It applies to most top tier drivers. Lewis has gone through that with Nico. So I would consider that as a fair fight and not one sided.

Cs98
Cs98

Dunlay wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 11:50
Cs98 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:

I respect the fan emotion. Speaking of an event that has never occurred with so much of certainly doesn't augur well in a discussion. It's a possibility that Max can beat Alonso and the reverse could be true as well. There is no way to find out. If I look at a sample size of Monaco qualifying last year, it isn't a foregone conclusion that Max would "wipe the floor". In the best car of the field, he barely beat Alonso when his car was upto the mark as well. Max even touched walls to bring that last hundredth. If that sort of pressure is put consistently, for a driver that has had moments like Silverstone and Monza, there is definite possibility of cracking. It applies to most top tier drivers. Lewis has gone through that with Nico. So I would consider that as a fair fight and not one sided.
There's a possibility anything could happen, what is likely to happen is far more predictable. I do respect Alonso's abilities a lot, but the idea he is going to come into RB in his mid forties and pose a big threat to Verstappen the way he has been performing strikes me as very naive, and fueled by a lot of that "fan emotion" you speak of. But I hope it happens, to put it to the test.
It applies to most top tier drivers.
Indeed, Fuji 2007 comes to mind.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Cs98 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 12:19
Dunlay wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

There's a possibility anything could happen, what is likely to happen is far more predictable. I do respect Alonso's abilities a lot, but the idea he is going to come into RB in his mid forties and pose a big threat to Verstappen the way he has been performing strikes me as very naive, and fueled by a lot of that "fan emotion" you speak of. But I hope it happens, to put it to the test.
In today's era of racing, with cars that demand less from their drivers and athletes who are in peak physical condition, seasoned veterans like Alonso and Lewis can still outshine many younger talents on the grid. The notion that age determines performance is debunked by examples like Niki Lauda's victory over Prost despite being older. Talent combined with experience is a formidable duo.

Every driver has their vulnerabilities; none are infallible. The thrill lies in watching them push each other to their limits. Dominance without competition doesn't define greatness; it's the battles on the track that truly showcase a driver's skill. Just as Lewis, Vettel, and Max were once 'crash kids' before their dominance, Alonso stood out for his consistency. Appreciating them all, it's a joy to witness their performances, making it difficult to single out just one.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Cs98 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

I'd guess Max would outqaulify Alonso like roughly 8-14 ish over a season.
But I still rate Alonso's race pace and tyre managment and race craft as good as anyones, even Max, Plus Max would never of dealt with someone as cunning and crafty as Alonso, imagine the games between them, of hiding telemetry speed for each corner.
Lets hope Alonso does join Red Bull, It could be awesome!

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

If Ford failed in 2026, will Max still in RB.. BIG NO, It is time to have experienced driver in RB to cover Max if he leaves. It seems Horner thinking right way to sign some experienced driver instead of having young one. It make sense for me no harm in trying it.

Cs98
Cs98

Big Gun wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 13:43
Cs98 wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
But I still rate Alonso's race pace and tyre managment and race craft as good as anyones, even Max, Plus Max would never of dealt with someone as cunning and crafty as Alonso, imagine the games between them, of hiding telemetry speed for each corner.
I don't see it. We talk about Max sometimes being flattered by Perez. But that flattering effect is even stronger in the Aston Martin team with Stroll. When Alonso was sitting next to Ocon it was relatively competitive between the two, across both seasons. Even if we want to attribute some of that to unreliability, the fact remains it was far from a dominating performance against Ocon. Coming into RB where Max is established and completely integrated with the team and the car, in his prime, I wouldn't fancy his chances at this age. And that is not a big knock, I think it's the hardest seat in the sport to take right now, certainly the younger guys seem to be avoiding it.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Cs98 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 14:16
Big Gun wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

I don't see it. We talk about Max sometimes being flattered by Perez. But that flattering effect is even stronger in the Aston Martin team with Stroll. When Alonso was sitting next to Ocon it was relatively competitive between the two, across both seasons. Even if we want to attribute some of that to unreliability, the fact remains it was far from a dominating performance against Ocon. Coming into RB where Max is established and completely integrated with the team and the car, in his prime, I wouldn't fancy his chances at this age. And that is not a big knock, I think it's the hardest seat in the sport to take right now, certainly the younger guys seem to be avoiding it.
Fair enough, though against Ocon, Alonso was coming back after a break, plus in racepace he was 2 tenths faster and if he had a bad Qualy he would end up catching and passing Ocon.
I'm just saying in Max's team, Alonso is probably the only driver who can pressure Max on Sunday, which would be much more fun than Max beating Perez by over 20seconds week ater week, you agree?

chrisc90

Cs98
Cs98

Big Gun wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 15:39
Cs98 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 14:16
Big Gun wrote:

Fair enough, though against Ocon, Alonso was coming back after a break, plus in racepace he was 2 tenths faster and if he had a bad Qualy he would end up catching and passing Ocon.
I'm just saying in Max's team, Alonso is probably the only driver who can pressure Max on Sunday, which would be much more fun than Max beating Perez by over 20seconds week ater week, you agree?
Well, looks like the answer to that question isn't relevant anymore.

Stu

CHT wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 10:18
AM need Alonso to be around for 2026 development. Lance should be replace soon
Stage 1 complete!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Dunlay
Dunlay

It's likely that Mercedes has made up on Antonelli and Red Bull doesn't want to make a decision until late season, potentially keeping Perez as Daniel is not meeting the expectations.

It could also mean, Carlos is going to Sauber(Audi) as Carlos wanted an immediate Red Bull decision, which isn't coming anyway.

CHT
CHT

Sainz will likely be alongside Alonso and Vettel joining Merc

Vanja #66

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 15:10
I think Alonso retires and Sainz gets his seat with his blessing and possibly even mentoring.
So much about that :lol: :lol: :lol: Happy to keep seeing Alonso for years to come, he must be targeting the oldest ever driver on the grid record at this point :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DGP123
DGP123

Dunlay wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 19:20
It could also mean, Carlos is going to Sauber(Audi) as Carlos wanted an immediate Red Bull decision, which isn't coming anyway.
Audi will be years off being competitive. It’s essentially a pay day being their marquee driver under the new name, but you can write off two or three years of your F1 career.

Audi have been linked with Hulkeberg and would suit someone like Perez, who’s looking for a nice earner, post Red Bull. As for Sainz, he should really be only looking at Red Bull now, as Lance won’t be sacked.

Antonelli will be at Mercedes.