Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Dunlay
Dunlay

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

djos wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 09:44
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 09:37
CHT wrote:
Merc has got 3 options Sainz Vettel and Antonelli

Opinion from drivers within the team is of course more credible. So I won't discount the possibility.

Judging Vettel based on his time at AM is not a fair comparison. Ric was rubbish at Mclaren
Judging Vettel based on his last two years at Ferrari isn't looking so good either.

Ric is still rubbish.
That must be why he destroyed Vettel in the same car at RedBull, including the only 3 non Mercedes wins that year.
Now struggling to beat Yuki. It's undeniable that Daniel has degraded really badly to the extent that there are major and imminent question marks over his future in the team. I won't be surprised if he won't survive 2024 itself. There isn't any other team that has interest in him. He is in VCARB because Horner likes him. If it's simply upto Marko, he would probably replace him for the next race.

djos

Dunlay wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 19:31
djos wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Judging Vettel based on his last two years at Ferrari isn't looking so good either.

Ric is still rubbish.
That must be why he destroyed Vettel in the same car at RedBull, including the only 3 non Mercedes wins that year.
Now struggling to beat Yuki. It's undeniable that Daniel has degraded really badly to the extent that there are major and imminent question marks over his future in the team. I won't be surprised if he won't survive 2024 itself. There isn't any other team that has interest in him. He is in VCARB because Horner likes him. If it's simply upto Marko, he would probably replace him for the next race.
Those rubbish McLaren’s ruined his driving style and confidence. I’ve even seen comments from Lando this year that it still not very predictable on the limit (although it has improved).
"In downforce we trust"

CHT
CHT

djos wrote:
14 Apr 2024, 23:16
Dunlay wrote:
djos wrote:

Those rubbish McLaren’s ruined his driving style and confidence. I’ve even seen comments from Lando this year that it still not very predictable on the limit (although it has improved).
Does it mean that AM ruin Vettel driving style as well?

djos

CHT wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 00:25
djos wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Does it mean that AM ruin Vettel driving style as well?
No, Vettel’s issue was more obvious, as soon as the blown diffuser went, so did his winning ways. He’s just one of those drivers who likes his car to have super strong rear grip.

Daniel seems to be the opposite, like Max, he likes a stronger front end.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

Dunlay wrote:
djos wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Ric is still rubbish.
I think Riciardo was good in the non ground effect cars. The ground effect cars are very different to drive and takes recalibration of skills to drive. His main flaw is his adaptability. He clearly is not adaptable, and his strong point, braking, is not as critical now with cars with so much weight and downforce. In fact braking too late can be a bad thing for these ground effect cars it seems. See Perez vs Max for discussions on that.
Another perspective is Yuki being grossly underestimated. He was very good, even during his debut. He defends well and can manage his race well. He never had any tyre deg issues like other new drivers either. Compare him to Piastri. Piastri still struggling with deg management.
Yuki is talented and I think if Perez had a poor season, he could be candidate for the Redbull seat. In fact there is no evidence in Yuki's F-1 career to suggest he is not good. Even against Gasly he did respectably.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

Come 2026, F1 cars are going to be more unconventional due to the energy-harvesting nature of the PU. e.g. high reviving engine through hairpin corners to harvest energy.
This may require some "new skills" and new thinking to maximize engine power delivery which some drivers may struggle to adapt.

FW17

55 million offer from Mercedes to Verstappen is an insult. His base should be at least 155 million

Dunlay
Dunlay

ringo wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 00:49
Dunlay wrote:
djos wrote:

I think Riciardo was good in the non ground effect cars. The ground effect cars are very different to drive and takes recalibration of skills to drive. His main flaw is his adaptability. He clearly is not adaptable, and his strong point, braking, is not as critical now with cars with so much weight and downforce. In fact braking too late can be a bad thing for these ground effect cars it seems. See Perez vs Max for discussions on that.
Another perspective is Yuki being grossly underestimated. He was very good, even during his debut. He defends well and can manage his race well. He never had any tyre deg issues like other new drivers either. Compare him to Piastri. Piastri still struggling with deg management.
Yuki is talented and I think if Perez had a poor season, he could be candidate for the Redbull seat. In fact there is no evidence in Yuki's F-1 career to suggest he is not good. Even against Gasly he did respectably.
He drove non ground effect cars at McLaren and he was mostly rubbish. It's a puzzle what went wrong for him, because he was considered a driver worthy of multiple championships when he was driving for Red Bull. He started lagging behind Max in 2018, but the difference was just a tenth or two. He was decent at Renault, but starting 2020, something seriously went wrong.

djos

Dunlay wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 10:25
ringo wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
He drove non ground effect cars at McLaren and he was mostly rubbish. It's a puzzle what went wrong for him, because he was considered a driver worthy of multiple championships when he was driving for Red Bull. He started lagging behind Max in 2018, but the difference was just a tenth or two. He was decent at Renault, but starting 2020, something seriously went wrong.
Lando spent years telling us the car was unpredictable and behaved differently from lap to lap, corner to corner. Like most top level drivers, Daniel needs to have full trust in the car to get the most out of it.

It’s not exactly a mystery.
"In downforce we trust"

De Wet

djos wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
djos wrote:

Funny... :lol:

Yet all the good drivers can drive any car fast...

CHT
CHT

Having Sainz and LH swapping seats may not be good for Ferrari and Merc.
Suppose Sainz and GR finish ahead of their respective teammate in 2024.

If Sainz finished 2025 season better than GR, fans will think LH's time as WDC is over and Ferrari drivers are faster
If LH doesnt finish 2025 ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred has made the wrong decision to bring in LH
If LH finishes ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred should have kept Sainz instead of Charles.

The only hope is for both Charles and LH to finish the season ahead of their teammate or Sainz doesnt end up at Merc

leblanc
leblanc

Funny... :lol:

Yet all the good drivers can drive any car fast...
All the best drivers. When Daniel was at RB and even Alpine, he occupied a position between championship-level and midfield drivers. Now that the driver pool has better talent, his relative position has slipped significantly.

I agree with what was written prior that this formula of cars doesn’t suit him.

De Wet

CHT wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 14:03
Having Sainz and LH swapping seats may not be good for Ferrari and Merc.

If Sainz finished 2025 season better than GR, fans will think LH's time as WDC is over and Ferrari drivers are faster
If LH doesnt finish 2025 ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred has made the wrong decision to bring in LH
If LH finishes ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred should have kept Sainz instead of Charles.

The only hope is for both Charles and LH to finish the season ahead of their teammate or Sainz doesnt end up at Merc

Fred Made a Huge Mistake With LH.... :D :D

Dunlay
Dunlay

djos wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 10:43
Dunlay wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 10:25
ringo wrote:

Lando spent years telling us the car was unpredictable and behaved differently from lap to lap, corner to corner. Like most top level drivers, Daniel needs to have full trust in the car to get the most out of it.

It’s not exactly a mystery.
Yet, Lando finished ahead of Daniel by big margin in terms of performance. Yuki is finishing ahead of Daniel consistently. Blaming the equipment is a moot point. Cars change with different teams' design philosophies, cars change within the same team as the development progress within a design philosophy and then cars change as the regulations force change the design philosophies. F1 drivers who struggle because the equipment is not to their liking, do not belong in F1. Whether it's Daniel or any other driver for that matter.

Jurgen von Diaz

CHT wrote:Having Sainz and LH swapping seats may not be good for Ferrari and Merc.

Before making the Ferrari driver switch, I want to watch the world burn and want to see Sainz and Russell crush their teammates... oh wait, the progress has already begun.