Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

De Wet wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 16:04
CHT wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 14:03
Having Sainz and LH swapping seats may not be good for Ferrari and Merc.
Suppose Sainz and GR finish ahead of their respective teammate in 2024.

If Sainz finished 2025 season better than GR, fans will think LH's time as WDC is over and Ferrari drivers are faster
If LH doesnt finish 2025 ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred has made the wrong decision to bring in LH
If LH finishes ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred should have kept Sainz instead of Charles.

The only hope is for both Charles and LH to finish the season ahead of their teammate or Sainz doesnt end up at Merc

Fred Made a Huge Mistake With LH.... :D :D

You could be right because prior to signing LH, Charles is like the crown prince at Ferrari with a multi year contract that will see him at Ferrari for many years. (sort of making Sainz as the no. 2 driver within the team). And this pairing has been working well since the arrival of Fred and we are finally starting to see some positive result since end of last year.

But with LH signing, Charles will suddenly be demoted he "no.2" driver at Ferrari as attention in 2025 will likely be focusing on LH instead of him. As we know Fred has played a big part in signing LH due to his past relationship with LH, he will certainly push the team to deliver a car that suit LH to justify the decision of signing the super star driver.

To make things worst for Charles, Sainz is now a liberated driver driving to survive and free to challenge Charles without having any fear about upseting Ferrari's team order. So if Sainz is able to continue this momentum in the past 3 races, his will certainly destroy Charles's confidence going into 2025.

To me LH will be good for marketing and brand awareness, but a destabilizng force within the team going into 2026.

Zynerji

Ferrari kept the wrong driver.

ringo

Such myopic comments here on Charles and Lewis. 20 races left in the season at that.
What happens when Charles beats Sainz and Lewis beats George end of season?
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 06:27
Such myopic comments here on Charles and Lewis. 20 races left in the season at that.
Charles and LH beating their teammate is somewhat expected because they are both no.1 driver, commanding a much higher salary.

For this season, many F1 fans are now following the race between teammates at RB, Ferrari and Merc.

DGP123
DGP123

CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 11:39
If Merc doesn't make decision soon, its most likely they may have already secured the service of Vettel for 2025.
Antonelli is driving on April 16-17 in the W12 at Red Bull ring. Should give them a better understanding of where he is. Also hearing there’s no chance of Vettel at Mercedes.

CHT
CHT

DGP123 wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 11:15
CHT wrote:
If Merc doesn't make decision soon, its most likely they may have already secured the service of Vettel for 2025.
Antonelli is driving on April 16-17 in the W12 at Red Bull ring. Should give them a better understanding of where he is. Also hearing there’s no chance of Vettel at Mercedes.
I will be surprised if Merc is putting everything on hold just to wait for Antonelli. 2025 is crucial year for development, not a year for Antonelli to discover the wonders of F1.

"I think with all the drivers I've been lucky enough to work with over the year, their feedback is vital. Very often, different drivers will be more sensitive to different areas. For example, Sebastian Vettel and Max have one thing in common, in that they are both very sensitive to the tires," - Newey

CHT
CHT

Tiny73 wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 11:20
ringo wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 06:27
In addition to this the trolls want it both ways. GR and CS beat LH and CL respectively then LH/CL are washed up no talent has beens who the car flattered. If LH/CL beat GR/CS respectively then well of course they should, they’re number 1 drivers.

You can’t have it both ways chaps.
Its Catch-22 situation, not about having it both ways.

De Wet

CHT wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 02:33
De Wet wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 16:04
CHT wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 14:03
Having Sainz and LH swapping seats may not be good for Ferrari and Merc.
Suppose Sainz and GR finish ahead of their respective teammate in 2024.

If Sainz finished 2025 season better than GR, fans will think LH's time as WDC is over and Ferrari drivers are faster
If LH doesnt finish 2025 ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred has made the wrong decision to bring in LH
If LH finishes ahead of Charles, fans will think Fred should have kept Sainz instead of Charles.

The only hope is for both Charles and LH to finish the season ahead of their teammate or Sainz doesnt end up at Merc

Fred Made a Huge Mistake With LH.... :D :D

You could be right because prior to signing LH, Charles is like the crown prince at Ferrari with a multi year contract that will see him at Ferrari for many years. (sort of making Sainz as the no. 2 driver within the team). And this pairing has been working well since the arrival of Fred and we are finally starting to see some positive result since end of last year.

But with LH signing, Charles will suddenly be demoted he "no.2" driver at Ferrari as attention in 2025 will likely be focusing on LH instead of him. As we know Fred has played a big part in signing LH due to his past relationship with LH, he will certainly push the team to deliver a car that suit LH to justify the decision of signing the super star driver.

To make things worst for Charles, Sainz is now a liberated driver driving to survive and free to challenge Charles without having any fear about upseting Ferrari's team order. So if Sainz is able to continue this momentum in the past 3 races, his will certainly destroy Charles's confidence going into 2025.

To me LH will be good for marketing and brand awareness, but a destabilizng force within the team going into 2026.

CL will beat the pants of LH... :D

ringo

CL is strggling with Sainz now. Who was not considered special going up against his many teammates. Verstappen, Norris, Kyvaat, Piere Gasly, Nico Hulkenberg.. Sainz never beat any of these guys like he is doing to CL now.
So CL clearly not as elite as some think.
There is no basis to compare LH and CL.
Just perceptions.
CL teammates: Grosejean, Erricson, past prime Vettel, Estaban Guitierez, Antonio Giovanasi, pascal wheirline. Nothing special there either and Zero reference point to Hamilton.
Vettel was his best teammate and now Sainz who is coming into his own.
For Sure!!

DGP123
DGP123

ringo wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 21:49
CL is strggling with Sainz now. Who was not considered special going up against his many teammates. Verstappen, Norris, Kyvaat, Piere Gasly, Nico Hulkenberg.. Sainz never beat any of these guys like he is doing to CL now.
Just perceptions.
CL teammates: Grosejean, Erricson, past prime Vettel, Estaban Guitierez, Antonio Giovanasi, pascal wheirline. Nothing special there either and Zero reference point to Hamilton.
Completely agree. The only reason he’s backed, is because he’s seen, or was, as Ferrari’s golden boy, but in reality, he’s far from it. Electric over one lap, I’d admit, but too inconsistent on a Sunday, and has already showcased himself as a bottler, who has crumbled under championship pressure, and when a big name is in his mirrors. He’s now being out driven by Sainz, who let’s be honest here, before this recency bias took over, was seen as a relatively mediocre driver. Hence, why Ferrari have shown him the door.

Throw in the anti-Hamilton brigade, who frequent many F1 forums, and you get this belief that CL will somehow destroy LH. I, just don’t see that happening at all.

Xyz22
Xyz22

ringo wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 21:49
Just perceptions.
This is either a troll post or one of the worst I've ever seen in internet history

:mrgreen:

CHT
CHT

In a recent Skysports interview, both Martin and Karun talks about the importance of teams having experienced drivers in 2025 due to major regulation changes in 2026.

F1 is ultimately a team sports and the team is only as strong as the weakest link, and that is why even Newey says driver's feedback is most vital.

So its most unlikely Merc will sign a 17 year old rookie Antonelli to replace LH, regardless how good he is in junior formula.

So I am guessing Merc will most likely to sign Sainz or Vettel, but I hope it will be Vettel because having Sainz swapping seats with LH is just too close for comfort.

Having said that, what about Mick Schumacher? Do you guys think he is good enough?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 01:31
So I am guessing Merc will most likely to sign Sainz or Vettel, but I hope it will be Vettel because having Sainz swapping seats with LH is just too close for comfort.
What is "too close for comfort"? As in boring?

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 01:34
CHT wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 01:31
What is "too close for comfort"? As in boring?
That will be like horse trading. And knowing Sainz if he does well at Merc, he is likely to return to Ferrari.

Any team wishes to sign Max will likely want to keep a seat available in 2027 and hope RBR will suffer set back with their 2026 car.

eg.
Merc - Sainz (2025/6)
Ferrari - LH (2025/6)

For this reason, I think CL may end up racing under the shadow of fellow WDC teammates at Ferrari if Max join the team in 2027.

Cs98
Cs98

CHT wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 12:27
DGP123 wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 11:15
CHT wrote:
I will be surprised if Merc is putting everything on hold just to wait for Antonelli. 2025 is crucial year for development, not a year for Antonelli to discover the wonders of F1.

"I think with all the drivers I've been lucky enough to work with over the year, their feedback is vital. Very often, different drivers will be more sensitive to different areas. For example, Sebastian Vettel and Max have one thing in common, in that they are both very sensitive to the tires," - Newey
Complete opposite, it's the least important year for development in this decade with the massive rule change coming at the end.