2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spacepace

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

TFSA wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:03
Spacepace wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:01
Yeah it is obviously team tactics/strategy when in this position. He said he hates to do it and get stupid penalties but at least Hulkenberg scored points for the team. He wasn't happy with Hulkenberg either not keeping him in the DRS to defend off Hamilton. Probably feels like Hulkenberg is getting credit for his sacrifices
Last part is not true. After they did the same in Jeddah, the team heavily praised Magnussen for helping Hulkenberg and holding everyone up. He got a lot of credit from the team there.
Doesn't really matter what the team says. Hulkenberg has more points and better finishing position

venkyhere
venkyhere

Everyone knows KMag drives like an evil spirit when he has to defend. HAM should know better, use his experience. It was sad to see HAM complaining "he pushed me wide" into T11 (or was it T17?) when both of them were on a "who brakes last" blinking contest. The cars were nowhere close enough for contact.

HAM divebombed into T1 at the start of the race, was nowhere near the apex, braked super-late and washed wide into the middle of the corner to hit the AstonMartin and then trigger the pile-up. ALO and STR would've come together 0.1s later anyway, even if HAM wasn't there. Notwithstanding that, I think HAM drove like a headless chicken into T1. Deserved a penalty for that.
Last edited by venkyhere on 04 May 2024, 19:09, edited 3 times in total.

DGP123
DGP123

CaribouBread wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:57
Forgot about the Sprint race!
Same here. Had 9pm stuck in my head, but that’s proper qualifying. Looks like we missed nothing anyway, as usual.
Last edited by DGP123 on 04 May 2024, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

tonmeister
tonmeister

214270 wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:59
ringo wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:51
The penalty is harsh. The speeding was with all cars being diverted through the pitlane. The risk and danger is much less when no pitstops are taking place.
As for the Norris incident. Stroll and Alonso pretty much pinched each other in. Hamilton rightly cannot be blamed for that one.
Hamilton kept on the apex with a tiny lock up.
Alonso Navigating to avoid Stroll was the main cause of that crash. 4 cars into one corner carries this risk.

Either way Hamilton displaying his arsenal of race tactics to get by mad man Magnussen and then Tsunoda. Both stout defenders.
Should be fun in a Ferrari.

Mercedes car still has some good qualities despite it being a midfeild car now. They are behind Vcarb and Aston for sure.
Yeah, I concur. That looks like ALO into STR before HAM joined the party. Very lucky, because that’s HAMs fault absent of the Aston collisions.
Alonso went into Stroll because he tried to leave space for kamikaze Hamilton "Always leave the space!"

TFSA

Spacepace wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:06
Doesn't really matter what the team says. Hulkenberg has more points and better finishing position
But that's not what you argued. You argued that he wasn't getting credit for what he does to protect Hulkenberg. He certainly is getting credit for that. 🙂

chrisc90

venkyhere wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:07
Everyone knows KMag drives like an evil spirit when he has to defend. HAM should know better, use his experience. It was sad to HAM complaining "he pushed me wide" into T11 (or was it T17?) when both of them were on a "who brakes last" blinking contest. The cars were nowhere close enough for contact. Ham divebombed into T1 at the start of the race, was nowhere near the apex, braked super-late and washed wide into the middle of the corner to hit ALO and then trigger the pile-up. ALO and STR would've come together 0.1s later anyway, even if HAM wasn't there. Notwithstanding that, I think HAM drove like a headless chicken into T1. Deserved a penalty for that.
Alonso actually hit Stroll first, marginally before Lewis hit Alonso.

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
ringo wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:51
The penalty is harsh. The speeding was with all cars being diverted through the pitlane. The risk and danger is much less when no pitstops are taking place.
As for the Norris incident. Stroll and Alonso pretty much pinched each other in. Hamilton rightly cannot be blamed for that one.
Hamilton kept on the apex with a tiny lock up.
Alonso Navigating to avoid Stroll was the main cause of that crash. 4 cars into one corner carries this risk.

Either way Hamilton displaying his arsenal of race tactics to get by mad man Magnussen and then Tsunoda. Both stout defenders.
Should be fun in a Ferrari.

Mercedes car still has some good qualities despite it being a midfeild car now. They are behind Vcarb and Aston for sure.
Depends how much he is speeding by though. Its the pitlane, shouldnt make a difference if there is team personnel in the pit or not. Speeding is speeding.

Turn 1. Lewis was never hitting the apex, or even following it. The onboard shows it. Just a bit unfortunate that 4 into 1 didnt really go. I'm sure we have seen turn 1 incidents penalised this season however, and lewis ruined 3 drivers races.
Rewatch the replay. Alonso and Stroll already tripped over each other even before Lewis got to turn one.
Lewis was in control of the car even with the lock up.
The contact with Alonso was negligible but for Stroll already getting cross up in Alonso's way.

Many contacts happen on lap 1 without penalty. It's the fact stroll and alonso were basically rubbing on each other that cause the domino effect.
For Sure!!

venkyhere
venkyhere

chrisc90 wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:09
venkyhere wrote:
Everyone knows KMag drives like an evil spirit when he has to defend. HAM should know better, use his experience. It was sad to HAM complaining "he pushed me wide" into T11 (or was it T17?) when both of them were on a "who brakes last" blinking contest. The cars were nowhere close enough for contact. Ham divebombed into T1 at the start of the race, was nowhere near the apex, braked super-late and washed wide into the middle of the corner to hit ALO and then trigger the pile-up. ALO and STR would've come together 0.1s later anyway, even if HAM wasn't there. Notwithstanding that, I think HAM drove like a headless chicken into T1. Deserved a penalty for that.
My bad then, for getting the order mixed up. Still, what would've been a teammate-v-teammate kiss contact, was turned into a messy pileup by HAM - how can race control ignore that HAM triggered the damage to the non-AstonMartin cars ? It wasn't a 'racing incident' , at all. It was 'came like a bull' exactly as ALO described.
Last edited by venkyhere on 04 May 2024, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Cs98
Cs98

chrisc90 wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:09
venkyhere wrote:
Watch from Hamilton's perspective, it becomes pretty obvious who causes the majority of the damage and the ultimate domino that hits Norris. The AMRs were having slight contact, Hamilton escalated to a major incident.
Last edited by Cs98 on 04 May 2024, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

venkyhere wrote:
The cars were nowhere close enough for contact.
He ran off the track then ran into Lewis after he passed him, getting the place back, he was given a 10sec penalty for that

Spacepace

DGP123 wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:
Forgot about the Sprint race!
Same here. Had 9pm stuck in my head, but that’s proper qualifying. Looks like we missed nothing anyway, as usual.
F1 doesn't care. They are hoping majority of fans have F1 season pass and will just watch whenever. That's what most sports fans do now

chrisc90

ringo wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:12

Rewatch the replay. Alonso and Stroll already tripped over each other even before Lewis got to turn one.
Lewis was in control of the car even with the lock up.
The contact with Alonso was negligible but for Stroll already getting cross up in Alonso's way.

Many contacts happen on lap 1 without penalty. It's the fact stroll and alonso were basically rubbing on each other that cause the domino effect.
I agree that Alonso hit Stroll first. However, I will stand by the fact that Lewis wasn't making the corner due to being too fast. If he was in control, he wouldn't have hit the AMR. You can see on the onboard that the speed Lewis was going he wasn't in a position to take a line that would have been expected with that type of overtake.

wogx

"Surely they won't decide anything because he's not Spanish. He ruined the race of a few."
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

ringo

Yes yes blame Hamilton. Even though the stewards have all the data.
The same stewards gave him a harsh penalty for drive through.
Too bad for Norris. But Alonso and Stroll were the cause of his bad fortune.
Good race by Lewis and Daniel. They made the sprint watchable.
Sainz was a bit underwhelming.. suprised he couldnt pass Daniel while Lewis could pass Yuki. Could be the medium tyre on Daniel's car?
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

wogx wrote:
04 May 2024, 19:18
"Surely they won't decide anything because he's not Spanish. He ruined the race of a few."
You knew it was coming :lol: He has a point this time.