Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bananapeel23

Re: Ferrari SF-24

CaribouBread wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:18
bananapeel23 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:10
Man, Ferrari really loves spending time on weird halo decorations.
[...]

What purpose do they even serve? Is it akin to something like winglets on aircraft that aim to break up vortex formation and reduce drag downstram? Is it more of a flow conditioning thing meant to keep the airflow flowing off the halo nice and predictable when it hits the rear wing?
Last year and early this year I asked myself the same question and this is the conclusion I got to,
Currently Ferrari has a completely different approach to centerline packaging and cooling compared to every other team, they're the only ones to run the narrow airbox, thus I think, they might also have a different approach to dealing with cockpit losses and turbulence. The intricacy of their halo work is the manifestation of their low centerline philosophy in my opinion.
That sounds reasonable. The only argument I really have against that is that the SF71H had a more traditional approach to centerline cooling, yet also experimented a lot with halo ornamentation in a similar manner. Also the winglets, especially the 2024 ones, have been placed below and quite far away from the halo. These "cobra" winglets seem more adapted to deal with cockpit losses than halo losses, at least visually.

These winglets are so insanely confusing to me. I just can't imagine what they are supposed to accomplish, especially on the SF24. They are placed so close to, and align so closely with the bodywork that I just can't imagine what they do.

deadhead

Was the new floor tested?

SiLo

christian.falavena wrote:
10 May 2024, 13:34
Also the rear wing appears to be new, different upper flap end
https://postimg.cc/LJXwt4GK
It looks like the rearward part of the cannons are smaller, and thats how they have created the opening for what I assume is the S ducting.
Felipe Baby!

Ced
Ced

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

christian.falavena wrote:
10 May 2024, 13:34
Also the rear wing appears to be new, different upper flap end
https://postimg.cc/LJXwt4GK
It reminds me of the rear wings of other teams.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 14:06
It's obvious what the new engine cover outlet looks like, but visuals are always better. The top outlet might be blow-through-flow from S-duct basically

https://i.ibb.co/GCNcvFc/sf-24-rear.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/JygSf2b/sf-24-rear-1.jpg

And a good quality head-on photo from Motorsport

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... sf-24.webp
Very big change for the cooling outlet on the engine cover.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

These sharp wingtips make a mockery of the rules (I'm not talking strictly about the Ferrari, more about general trend) (or was there a change that I missed? 2022 cars didn't look like that after all)

If there was a violation of the "spirit of the rules" that the FIA should've had put a stop to, it was this.
Last edited by CouncilorIrissa on 10 May 2024, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

It looks to me like Ferrari was very happy with their sidepod shape so they saw no need to change much about it. Switch to overbite seems logical now as it seems like the best compromise between having a decent undercut while keeping the flow on top of the sidepods relatively clean.

I feel like the changes were more aimed towards better "in-chassis" air-flow, something which RedBull has pushed to the extremes this year. The S-Duct inlet and outlet have undergone significant changes. I would love to see a comparison of this spec with the engine cover off.

Floor is unchanged in the pics we have seen so far, but with the sidepod shape remaining largely unchanged, I dont suspect big geometry changes in the floor too (at least from what we can see).

Rear wing is interesting. Ferrari already had a very efficient car. Will keep an eye on speed traps at Imola.

bananapeel23

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:33
These sharp wingtips make a mockery of the rules (I'm not talking strictly about the Ferrari, more about general trend)

If there was a violation of the "spirit of the rules" that the FIA should've had put a stop to, it was this.
Firstly, This is nothing compared to the hilarious mockery of the regulations that was the wing with a pseudo-endplate that Aston Martin designed and ran at Hungary and Singapore 2022.

Secondly, That thing is going to whip up a big ol' vortex, right? Wouldn't that be unnecessarily draggy as opposed to a smoother transition and produce a whole lot of dirty air? What purpose could an almost entirely detached upper element serve if it's draggy? I mean flat wing edges worked pre-2022 due to endplates, but surely they are way too draggy now?

Are they just trading aerodynamic efficiency for pure downforce by running the longest upper element possible? Does this huge upper element mean they can run a more conservative lower element/beam wing? I guess focusing as much of their overbody downforce as possible into the wing element that opens with DRS makes sense from that perspective.

Does the rear wing directly interact with the diffuser expansion in a way that could explain why you would want such a massive vortex?

I don't understand aero and I'm totally just guessing because I want someone smarter to explain or at least speculate. Does anyone smarter than me have a clue?
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 10 May 2024, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

deadhead

Emag wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:42
It looks to me like Ferrari was very happy with their sidepod shape so they saw no need to change much about it. Switch to overbite seems logical now as it seems like the best compromise between having a decent undercut while keeping the flow on top of the sidepods relatively clean.

I feel like the changes were more aimed towards better "in-chassis" air-flow, something which RedBull has pushed to the extremes this year. The S-Duct inlet and outlet have undergone significant changes. I would love to see a comparison of this spec with the engine cover off.

Floor is unchanged in the pics we have seen so far, but with the sidepod shape remaining largely unchanged, I dont suspect big geometry changes in the floor too (at least from what we can see).

Rear wing is interesting. Ferrari already had a very efficient car. Will keep an eye on speed traps at Imola.
There was supposed to be a big change to the floor..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

What is this line?

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:23
What is this line?
https://i.postimg.cc/bJFdnQCY/image.png
It does not seem like it's just a line, it's more like an opening behind it. Not sure what it's for, though.

Xwang
Xwang

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:56
AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:23
What is this line?
It does not seem like it's just a line, it's more like an opening behind it. Not sure what it's for, though.
It resembles the closed openings on the SF75 ... if I remember well

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:What is this line?
That’s a cooling cover.

Xwang
Xwang

dialtone wrote:
10 May 2024, 19:23
AR3-GP wrote:What is this line?
That’s a cooling cover.
Why it is not smooth (at the same level of the surrounding surfaces) and creates (even if closed) a small step (I would say some millimetres)?
I suppose it is to have similar boundary layer behaviour both with open and closed cooling. Do you agree?