Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
andrewf1

Re: Mercedes W15

Formula 1 fan wrote:
17 May 2024, 11:23
So, no completely new rear wing for Mercedes, i was sure they would bring completely new rear wing for Imola race.
And no new sidepods either. We'll see how it goes and even though they were rumours and not team statements, it's frustrating to have that feeling of "overpromised / underdelivered" from this team.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

I think best what Mercedes can achieve in Imola will be 6th and 7th place.

Luscion
Luscion

andrewf1 wrote:
17 May 2024, 12:10
Formula 1 fan wrote:
17 May 2024, 11:23
So, no completely new rear wing for Mercedes, i was sure they would bring completely new rear wing for Imola race.
And no new sidepods either. We'll see how it goes and even though they were rumours and not team statements, it's frustrating to have that feeling of "overpromised / underdelivered" from this team.
both formulauno and AMuS only reported new rear wing and beam wing, dont think they ever planned on new sidepods for imola

Luscion
Luscion

Sevach
Sevach

That attaches ridiculously forward.

Vanja #66

I'm not sure why it took teams so long to introduce bigger lateral elements for better use of the flow forced to go spanwise, I guess it took a bit of creative rule interpretation and FIA scrutiny of this design before they approved it.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Goblin42

Last edited by Goblin42 on 17 May 2024, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Circular mounting point/bracket is unique

Luscion
Luscion

atanatizante

Maybe it`s me or the angle picture view but from my point of view there are some (minor) reshaping to the sidepods here at Imola:

1. The undercut is slightly bigger with a more pronounced curvature near the M letter
2. There is a slighter bigger and sloper shape of the lower sidepode near the floor. Thus the new airflow should work in conjunction with the new vortex flow coming out of the new floor edge fences.
3. The rear part of the sidepod near the Coke bottle area seems to have a downslope shape based on the trajectory of the purple sticker.

The official team statement for Imola regarding updates says these local updates aim: "to improve the quality of the flow towards the rear of the floor, diffuser, and the rear load throughout the ride height range". So it seems that their inconsistent aka spikier downforce levels were mainly due to their laking of vortex sealing the edges of the floor at various ride heights hence why they are saying that the car`s performance is changing from one corner to another ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

maygun
maygun

atanatizante wrote:
17 May 2024, 16:02
https://postimg.cc/1nCbr6V8

Maybe it`s me or the angle picture view but from my point of view there are some (minor) reshaping to the sidepods here at Imola:

1. The undercut is slightly bigger with a more pronounced curvature near the M letter
2. There is a slighter bigger and sloper shape of the lower sidepode near the floor. Thus the new airflow should work in conjunction with the new vortex flow coming out of the new floor edge fences.
3. The rear part of the sidepod near the Coke bottle area seems to have a downslope shape based on the trajectory of the purple sticker.

The official team statement for Imola regarding updates says these local updates aim: "to improve the quality of the flow towards the rear of the floor, diffuser, and the rear load throughout the ride height range". So it seems that their inconsistent aka spikier downforce levels were mainly due to their laking of vortex sealing the edges of the floor at various ride heights hence why they are saying that the car`s performance is changing from one corner to another ...
In the update document, they did not mention or circle any area related to side pods.

atanatizante

maygun wrote:
17 May 2024, 16:32
atanatizante wrote:

In the update document, they did not mention or circle any area related to side pods.
That`s why we should clearly distinguish between the upgrades and the circuit-related updates ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

maygun
maygun

atanatizante wrote:
17 May 2024, 17:01
maygun wrote:
17 May 2024, 16:32
atanatizante wrote:

That`s why we should clearly distinguish between the upgrades and the circuit-related updates ...
What do you mean? As far as I know, If a team bring any kind of new part that is different and has not been introduced before they need to list it in the update document.

Luscion
Luscion

Vanja #66

atanatizante wrote:

Very decent analysis, I agree with most of it. :) Your conclusion is quite possible, but not the only explanation. I believe their launch sidepods weren't generating enough outwash alone and team wanted to use front wing mid span Y250-like vortex to enhance the outwash. There's evidence it failed and as they stopped relying on it (first in Japan and completely removing it in Miami) they improved the driveability.

So now with added volume to sidepods and slightly more pressurisation with an obviously updated geometry they have probably made a step in the right direction, especially with improvements to floor edge vortex!

On a side note, downvotes are completely undeserved and reported for Moderators to remove. To downvoters - if you don't agree, post a counter argument and debate. Downvote abuse is not encouraged.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie