2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Oscar was almost 2 tenths up on Leclerc's time before running wide on the gravel. He lost 8 tenths there and it ended up being his fastest lap of the session.

However, Leclerc himself made a big mistake going into the villeneuve chicane. Seems like at the very least he lost 3-4 tenths there.

mwillems

It's pretty interesting data actually. Looks like Leclerc was pushing more, either through engine or a less fuel or something else and the Mclaren times were looking pretty handy.

Of course, it is just an FP1 session so you can't take anything away, they have a lot more work to do before it is representative.

As emag has already seen, there was a hell of a mistake at the end for Oscar and for Leclerc at turn 5. But if I were to hazard a guess, I think we weren't set up to push as much as Leclerc.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I suppose its too early to say. FP2 should show more.

FP2 is underway and I wanna hear opinions. Is Mclaren running on a lower engine mode or are those 3 tenths expected since Ferrari also updated?

mwillems

That aborted lap from Norris looked great. The car was very well behaved and appeared to have good balance and was potentially going to be maybe around 7 tenths up in the low 1.15s had he not touched the gravel in the penultimate corner. Don't think that was the car, just being a bit over the edge.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Really promising. Both sectors of the aborted Lando lap were faster than Leclerc by about 1.5 tenths.

And Oscar is doing really well for not having raced in this track before.

mwillems

I think Verstappen had his own dip into the gravel though, but yeah it's looking good.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Looks like the car is above or behind but very close to Ferrari. Red Bull seem to not have it till now and Mercedes are very good still.

mwillems

Red Bull were taking a bit longer to dial the car in, so it remains to be seen how much is left on the table. And then of course, fuel, engine modes etc... Never rule the Red Bull and Max out.

But it looks pretty good vs Ferrari here. So far. Usual caveat that it doesn't get really representative till tomorrow. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that this looks like the car has genuine pace here.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

On another note we also have done plenty of laps on the soft so we now can prepare better to avoid a sprint qualifying situation.

Regarding Red Bull and because we cant rule them out is the reason I said that they dont have it till now.

Emag
Emag

The long runs right now could be quite indicative of the true pace for sunday. Similar tires with the Ferraris.

Anyone keeping tabs on laptimes?

Darth-Piekus

They said that Piastri was doing the same lap times on hards compared to Leclerc on the mediums. Both Red Bulls are doing 1 sec slower times. That was though 5 mins ago. Not sure if something changed.

Emag
Emag

So far it looks like it's gonna be Lando vs Charles but things could change really quickly.

Darth-Piekus

Lando must get first place to have the clean air and the upper hand. But what a nice sensation seeing a battle between Mclaren Mercedes and Ferrari straight out of the 2000s.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 17 May 2024, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

danish f1 commentator and former f1 driver nicolas kiesa was keeping an eye on lap times saying mclaren longrun looked very good, but we will knw soon, but the car seem to have pace
Last edited by f1rules on 17 May 2024, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

geogate
geogate

too close to call, but i think Red Bull have earned the right of benefit of doubt be fully on pace tomorrow. None too shabby from Mclaren