2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Im not sure Jordan have slipped that by mistake.

geogate
geogate

Im not sure Newey to Mclaren is necessarily a good thing for mclaren, unless he would have a red bull type deal where he is a consultant on f1 and does some road car project. Mclaren seem to be building a really strong technical team, and i wouldnt want anyones noses put out of joint. Need to step back and see what they are currently achieving having had considerably less funding for years than those they are competing with now

Macklaren
Macklaren

geogate wrote:
17 May 2024, 23:49
Im not sure Newey to Mclaren is necessarily a good thing for mclaren, unless he would have a red bull type deal where he is a consultant on f1 and does some road car project. Mclaren seem to be building a really strong technical team, and i wouldnt want anyones noses put out of joint. Need to step back and see what they are currently achieving having had considerably less funding for years than those they are competing with now
I didn't think Newey was unhappy with his role at RBR. he's leaving to get away from Christian. A similar role at McLaren (as Joe saward says he would have a 10 min commute) would be welcome

BMMR61

Macklaren wrote:
17 May 2024, 23:58
geogate wrote:
17 May 2024, 23:49
I didn't think Newey was unhappy with his role at RBR. he's leaving to get away from Christian. A similar role at McLaren (as Joe saward says he would have a 10 min commute) would be welcome
Is there a link to such a comment (not behind a paywall) as Joe is pretty solid? Nevertheless all sounds speculative based on mischievous Eddie, great for a laugh. On the other hand Zak probably has a very good friendship with Newey, they both like to race classic race cars, Zak would have options for broad involvement without high pressured framing. Two young and exciting future champions in the wings and an already strong management structure where he could be in the "consultant" class are other factors. Negatives would be a not unlimited pot of gold, and the risk of some present senior staff feeling there was a lack of confidence. I'm neutral and sceptical of extreme excitement. Mercedes and Aston NEED him. Ferrari would benefit from him. McLaren would consider how he might want to fit in.

haza
haza

If you watch the whole video with newey and eddie at the end jordan goes to ask Zak what him an Adrian spoke about but Zak had already left he then went onto say nothing in ink has been signed, I think the only thing that would sway newey to McLaren is a hypercar/le man project which both sides have shown an interest to Zak mentioned a couple years back McLarens interest in the HyperCar class

chasefreak
chasefreak

This was the Lap that lando aborted

dialtone
dialtone

chasefreak wrote:Image

This was the Lap that lando aborted
That -0.5 was against medium tire LEC lap.

haza
haza

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Eddie Jordan was the first to break the news that McLaren are moving to Mercedes engines, a while before any rumor began getting headlines.
Not saying this video means anything, but it does sound like a slip, especially with the stutter after saying "Zak...".
Will it happen or not, was it a negotiations tactics, time will tell.

ollandos
ollandos

oscar lost time on traffic ...he is on safe side on sector 3 because of traffic there

mwillems

Yeah Oscar had a reasonable amount of traffic. The car and drivers look comfortable here so far.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

McLarenMor wrote:
18 May 2024, 08:33
Eddie Jordan was the first to break the news that McLaren are moving to Mercedes engines, a while before any rumor began getting headlines.
Not saying this video means anything, but it does sound like a slip, especially with the stutter after saying "Zak...".
Will it happen or not, was it a negotiations tactics, time will tell.
Some of the flak Eddie gets is unfair. He's shrewd and he is close to many in the paddock, in this case he's very close to Newey. But that doesn't mean he didn't mis-speak and say Mclaren instead of Ferrari. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

I don't expect fast laptimes from the boys in FP3. Lando is in a bit of pickle when it comes to the number of fresh softs remaining. Better save them for quali.

Maybe Oscar can have a go though.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag wrote:
18 May 2024, 12:44
I don't expect fast laptimes from the boys in FP3. Lando is in a bit of pickle when it comes to the number of fresh softs remaining. Better save them for quali.

Maybe Oscar can have a go though.
Surprisingly, Lando, with problems, leads 5-1 in qualifying

mwillems

Piastri with a very strong lap before dipping into the gravel at the same point as Lando.

-Bandit