2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
avantman
avantman

Re: 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

ringo wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:28
I think the bias lies with you.

I think some were analyzing engine modes and so on in practice and noted the RB20 was not fully unleashed.
Toto said in the interview live on Sky after FP3, Mclaren are big chuck ahead of anyone both on single lap and race pace, followed by Ferrari, Red bull and them, Mercedes. In that particular order. Why do not they, Mercedes, analyze the engine modes like you do? Are they stupid, right?

avantman
avantman

atanatizante wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:35
[
I`ve watched the live speed data on MultiViewer and VER since Q2 he always managed a 336kph top speed until he got that tow from HUL when he recorded a 338kph, at least as the software told us. On Sky F1 they said it was only 8 hundreds of a second gain which was enough to take the pole here ...
It was worth 0.14s compared to his 1st run in Q3. It wasn't just the top speed that mattered, he benefited from the tow all the way on the straight. In fact the biggest gain was made in the first 70% of the straight..
Here it is.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Trying to add or offset lap time due to tows is not proper science. Verstappen already did a 23.4 in the banker lap without the tow and then did 23.4 later with the tow. If a driver sees that he is up on the previous lap before T1, then he can choose to manage the lap differently. Without the tow, he might have simply been more aggressive again into tamburello to compensate. Perhaps he thought he could save the tire a bit in tamburello with the negative delta already leading up to it. We can't know how a lap without the tow would have played out. It is not simply "add 0.13s".

Verstappen said last weekend:
If my mom had balls, she'd be my dad
It is perfectly apt here. The only thing we do know is that Verstappen is on pole with a brilliant lap. One must accept this.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 18 May 2024, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

Sieper

Ofcourse, current Max is VERY aware of this.

avantman
avantman

compare his and oscars laps side by side. Max couldn;t be more agressive in tamburello. whilst oscar was just driving around the kerb, max had almost his whole car on it.
he also attacks the track visibly harder as always, pushing the track limits and running wider in several places.

AMG.Tzan

atanatizante wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:15
Verstapen got Hulkenberg’s slipstream at the start-finish straight hence his difference in top speed and pace!
340 for Max vs 330 for Leclerc and 332 for Piastri!

Classic “oh what a mega lap” pole by Verstapen… :lol:
I`ve watched the live speed data on MultiViewer and VER since Q2 he always managed a 336kph top speed until he got that tow from HUL when he recorded a 338kph, at least as the software told us. On Sky F1 they said it was only 8 hundreds of a second gain which was enough to take the pole here ...

Nonetheless, being 2 tenths faster than everybody in the S1 it seems that VER opted for a lower downforce rear wing, which will benefit him both for defending and attacking on this hard track to overtake. But this could backfire on him on the tyre ware front thus why he needed to get the pole just to run into free air and manage them better. The reason behind this strategy was that in the eventuality one Macca driver would have got the pole he could have had a bigger chance to pass them in the race, which was in line with what RB predicted knowing after qualy that NOR managed 334 and PIA only 332kph top speeds and most of all they have a 3kph lower DRS delta than him ...

Tomorrow it`ll probably be an M-H one-stop race as Pirelli predicted, but it`ll be interesting to see which of the top 6 cars will start on the soft tyres. My bet is on both Ferrari drivers that could do this strategy. They`ll have a short first stint on these soft tyres and then switch earlier to a longer second stint on the M tyres. I am based on both the fact that they optimized the car around this latter tyre for this track (just see the race sim lap times in FP2) and last but not least the fact that they have the best management tyre, using them easily for 24 laps on that session, which is almost half the race by the way ...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Sieper

8 poles in a row, max towing the line!

ringo

avantman wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:03
compare his and oscars laps side by side. Max couldn;t be more agressive in tamburello. whilst oscar was just driving around the kerb, max had almost his whole car on it.
he also attacks the track visibly harder as always, pushing the track limits and running wider in several places.
Okay there we go. McLaren hasnt solved all its problems yet. Still can't fly over kerbs like Ferrari and RB.
Anyhow I am glad for a normal track with hills and valleys and grass and gravel.
The street tracks were getting really annoying.

I pray for no DRS trains tomorrow.
For Sure!!

Sieper

Well, DRS opens in lap 2 so that is all we get these days. All because otherwise it is so “boring”.

Wouter

Silent Storm wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:26
Brazilian reporter said several Senna Tshirts brought by Seb were stolen including Valtteri and Max hence why they were not wearing them.
Yes, I saw it too and a lot of baclava's. Each driver would get a baclava but now there were only a few who got one.
The Power of Dreams!

dialtone
dialtone

Piastri officially moved back 3 spots, as should surprise nobody.

organic

avantman wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:39
atanatizante wrote:
[
It was worth 0.14s compared to his 1st run in Q3. It wasn't just the top speed that mattered, he benefited from the tow all the way on the straight. In fact the biggest gain was made in the first 70% of the straight..
Here it is.
https://postimg.cc/Js4ns0QS
He said in press conference due to over speed he misjudged T1-T2 so probably didn't gain anything overall from it

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

dialtone wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:04
What's surprising is it took them till now to decided that... It was a slam dunk penalty, what did they even have to review after the session.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

avantman
avantman

organic wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:09
avantman wrote:
18 May 2024, 18:39
atanatizante wrote:
[
Here it is.
https://postimg.cc/Js4ns0QS
He said in press conference due to over speed he misjudged T1-T2 so probably didn't gain anything overall from it
it's easy to get an Idea if he gained anything overall or not. f1-tempo will help you. it's all clear it's completely irrelevant what he said after talking to the press, not even having a look into the telemetry himself.
first two turns weren't as perfect as on his 1st run, but overall gain through that whole section is very evident, thanks to the tow.
Last edited by avantman on 18 May 2024, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

avantman
avantman

Silent Storm wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:16
dialtone wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:04
What's surprising is it took them till now to decided that... It was a slam dunk penalty, what did they even have to review after the session.
for sure it would take a lot less time for them, if it was Alonso, heh.