2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
search

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Space-heat wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:09
yooogurt wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:00
Space-heat wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:54
Most likely to start on the Medium (M-H), as they only have used Softs, and extend as you said. Hopefully Charles can get a better start than Miami, we don't need both Ferrari's side by side in T1. Let Lando press Max and hopefully pick up the pieces.

Would have been great to save a set of Soft in Q2. They used an extra set of Softs in FP compared to McL and RBR.
One soft is basically new, there's one warm-up lap in it from q2, no?
On the race thread there was a user Search posted a sheet where all the soft tyres were 3 laps.

https://i.imgur.com/GzeJgIW.png

If you are thinking of the set from FP2, where there was a red flag in the middle of the push. Charles went back out and did a run on it (traffic with Gasley). Sainz did abort his second Medium push is Q1, but I think Charles did 2 push laps in each part of quali (Q1:2M, Q2:2S, Q3:2S).

Also if anyone knows where we can find the document Pirelli post of available tires, please let me know. Looks like - https://imgur.com/a/EJHyefO. Every race after quali I look for it, and I can never find it.
here's the tire list from Qualifying as well. So it were all three-lap stints:

yooogurt

Space-heat wrote:
If you are thinking of the set from FP2, where there was a red flag in the middle of the push. Charles went back out and did a run on it (traffic with Gasley). Sainz did abort his second Medium push is Q1, but I think Charles did 2 push laps in each part of quali (Q1:2M, Q2:2S, Q3:2S).
No i think about, that both pilots had 4 soft sets after q1, and the second attempt in q2 looked like they did a warm-up lap and turned into the boxes, strange.
FORZA FERRARI!

search

yooogurt wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:17
Space-heat wrote:
No i think about, that both pilots had 4 soft sets after q1, and the second attempt in q2 looked like they did a warm-up lap and turned into the boxes, strange.
both did a 1:15.5 on their 2nd attempt in Q2:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... es_v01.pdf

For Leclerc in particular that run wasn't necessary at all, so I guess it's fairly sure that they don't plan to run softs tomorrow.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

We'd at least been in front of Mclaren in qualifying up til now despite being slower in the races past two race weekends, but they've leaped us in qualifying, too. Not looking good for the rest of the season, I must say. Red Bull have had two struggling weekends in a row and instead of being the leading chasers to take advantage, we're falling behind.

And just think a month or so again people were really thinking Mclaren were no real threat and that we had a chance of overtaking Red Bull. lol

Monaco can throw up surprises, but to me, the Mclaren has way better entry agility than Ferrari, so I'm not expecting things to be any better there, either. Looking at the calendar, I feel we may be at disadvantageous tracks up til Barcelona. And I'd expect Red Bull to be very strong there again.

Ugh. That seems like the worst part of this - at tracks where Red Bull were weaker, it felt like we could maybe have some opportunities, but now it seems like any track where Red Bull are weaker, Mclaren will be the ones best poised to take advantage.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:45
We'd at least been in front of Mclaren in qualifying up til now despite being slower in the races past two race weekends, but they've leaped us in qualifying, too. Not looking good for the rest of the season, I must say. Red Bull have had two struggling weekends in a row and instead of being the leading chasers to take advantage, we're falling behind.

And just think a month or so again people were really thinking Mclaren were no real threat and that we had a chance of overtaking Red Bull. lol

Monaco can throw up surprises, but to me, the Mclaren has way better entry agility than Ferrari, so I'm not expecting things to be any better there, either. Looking at the calendar, I feel we may be at disadvantageous tracks up til Barcelona. And I'd expect Red Bull to be very strong there again.

Ugh. That seems like the worst part of this - at tracks where Red Bull were weaker, it felt like we could maybe have some opportunities, but now it seems like any track where Red Bull are weaker, Mclaren will be the ones best poised to take advantage.
Things can change quickly in F1. Ferrari has had strong race pace all season and we don't know how tomorrow will play out so there's no reason to be this negative about Ferrari's chances so early. Qualifying position doesn't matter much if you don't have the race pace to stay ahead and pull away.

But even then, this is only the first race where all top 3 teams have had their "big" early-season upgrades brought to the cars. Let's wait a couple of races so that everyone dials their respective cars in before arriving to conclusions.

Space-heat
Space-heat

search wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:16
Space-heat wrote:
yooogurt wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:00

One soft is basically new, there's one warm-up lap in it from q2, no?
On the race thread there was a user Search posted a sheet where all the soft tyres were 3 laps.

https://i.imgur.com/GzeJgIW.png

Also if anyone knows where we can find the document Pirelli post of available tires, please let me know. Looks like - https://imgur.com/a/EJHyefO. Every race after quali I look for it, and I can never find it.
here's the tire list from Qualifying as well. So it were all three-lap stints:

https://i.imgur.com/LAFeeCt.png
Thanks, I could not figure how to link to your race thread post directly.

Elite
Elite

Seanspeed wrote:

Don't count out Mercedes at barcelona. They've allegedly got big upgrades coming around then and every race in the ground effect era has been good for them there :)

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:52
Things can change quickly in F1. Ferrari has had strong race pace all season and we don't know how tomorrow will play out so there's no reason to be this negative about Ferrari's chances so early. Qualifying position doesn't matter much if you don't have the race pace to stay ahead and pull away.

But even then, this is only the first race where all top 3 teams have had their "big" early-season upgrades brought to the cars. Let's wait a couple of races so that everyone dials their respective cars in before arriving to conclusions.
It's not really a one-off, though. Mclaren have been faster than us the past two race weekends already. Trending is clearly Ferrari just being 3rd best, and it seems very obvious that Mclaren's upgrade was a lot bigger and more impactful than Ferrari's. That's not conjecture, people at Ferrari themselves are saying the upgrade isn't worth that much and does nothing to fix any of the car's critical issues.

Of course we'll see if things shake out differently elsewhere, but even just looking at onboards, it seems the Mclaren is simply the better car now. It does nearly everything well.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Seanspeed wrote:

Eh. MCL seemed to have the upper hand in quali since Japan, but in races it's more complicated. China was a case of Ferrari taking ages (like 20 laps!) to get their tyres up to temperature due to cold weather.

In Miami MCL had upgrades should've been ahead in both quali and race trim because their car was a few tenths faster due to upgrades, but it was masked by Norris's undeperformance and them playing silly games with mediums in Q3.

If we're slower than MCL even tomorrow, then yea I'd agree that we're in deep trouble. But the two data points that we have are insufficient to claim that there's a trend yet, IMO.

ferkan
ferkan

Mclaren is a real outlier here...I mean even in Shanghai they looked really strong, so before upgrade, then they bought big upgrade and I would say that one was a bit bigger then Ferraris for sure. However now they look almost on par with RB, they are super strong, like repeat of last season upgrade for them.

They fixed their straighline speed immensely.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Seanspeed wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:06
Emag wrote:

It's not really a one-off, though. Mclaren have been faster than us the past two race weekends already. Trending is clearly Ferrari just being 3rd best, and it seems very obvious that Mclaren's upgrade was a lot bigger and more impactful than Ferrari's. That's not conjecture, people at Ferrari themselves are saying the upgrade isn't worth that much and does nothing to fix any of the car's critical issues.

Of course we'll see if things shake out differently elsewhere, but even just looking at onboards, it seems the Mclaren is simply the better car now. It does nearly everything well.
I think you are jumping the gun, Leclerc was comfortably quicker than Oscar at Miami, and Oscar had part of the upgrade, he managed to jump Leclerc because of Ferrari's slow tyre warm up but then Leclerc was all over the back of Oscar, it was very clear Leclerc had more pace than Oscars McLaren.
It will be a number of races before we'll truly know where the various upgrades stand and it should also be pointed out that Imola has not been a favourable track for Ferrari, it is for McLaren.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

dia6olo wrote:
19 May 2024, 00:08
Seanspeed wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:06
Emag wrote:

I think you are jumping the gun, Leclerc was comfortably quicker than Oscar at Miami, and Oscar had part of the upgrade, he managed to jump Leclerc because of Ferrari's slow tyre warm up but then Leclerc was all over the back of Oscar, it was very clear Leclerc had more pace than Oscars McLaren.
It will be a number of races before we'll truly know where the various upgrades stand and it should also be pointed out that Imola has not been a favourable track for Ferrari, it is for McLaren.
Agreed, but Miami was supposed to favour Ferrari and was noted as Mclaren's weakest track with an upgrade package + sprint weekend so less time to dial it in... We know how that went.
Seanspeed has a great point though, Mclaren is 2nd best with no obvious weakness.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

LM10
LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:47
I don't think there's anything too clever to do tomorrow. From second row, Ferrari can either try to go with S-M or S-H strategy if they want to try to take the lead as early as possible. If not and choose to start on M they need to extend until a V/SC period. This is a sure thing in Imola and will bring much bigger time gain than any kind of undercut.

In any case, it will be very hard for Ferrari both to overtake and defend due to higher aero load of beam wing, so ultimately anything more than a P3 will be a great result. They made a mistake on aero load and will suffer the consequences and that's it
This is starting to become a trend because it has happened on almost every race this season (not the beam wing in particular, but also and mainly the rear wing). Strange, considering the team has a million times more data than any of us. It begs the question whether they suffer from PTSD from last season. If yes, it's about time they overcome it. I don't want to talk about conservative wing choices anymore. :)

Generally speaking, since I'm more of a "glass half-full" person, even though this is the first time this season I watched the qualifying end with a bit of a disappointment (this is thanks to good form in practice sessions - I didn't pay attention to gained numbers from media), looking more into the whys and hows helps put everything more into perspective. While the upgrade package was not a small one, it also was not as huge as McLaren's who basically changed everything on the car from front to back. As per Sainz Ferrari's first upgrades were never going to adress the issues which showed up on track this season. Also, Imola was not going to play into the strengths of the car, certainly not as much as into McLaren's.

I'm inclined to say that the team still needs to further understand their new package and alone from this there's scope for more performance extraction. Optimizing the car is not an easy task. There's a reason McLaren used flow-vis in practice sessions despite having brought their upgrades in Miami already.

Let's see what tomorrow brings. With a bit of luck everything is possible.

LM10
LM10

AmateurDriver wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:13
Vanja #66 wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:51
AmateurDriver wrote:
18 May 2024, 17:49
Q1 and Q2 were just showboating. Ferrari is not serious about racing.
Reported. Ranting and nonsense have no place in team threads
Sorry for upsetting you it was not my intention to annoy people. But actually I wasn't ranting at all. I was much more the depressed than furious
I don't think you're upsetting anybody, but you for sure are annoying some people (me at least) with your posts about Ferrari not being a racing team and caring about luxury, show-offs and marketing only. It's so stupid that I feel stupid to answer you in that matter to be honest.

f1316
f1316

It was mentioned in an article on Italian motorsport that the struggles in S1 were a question of tyres “ but also of hybrid management“. I believe this is a quote from Fred but not totally sure due to how they format quotes differently (https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10612650/).

It makes me wonder if the conservative wing choices are also somehow related to how Ferrari changed their hybrid mapping. There was a lot of talk last year about making the deployment less aggressive to help with tyre deg, and could it be possible that they went too far with this, such that the car struggles to put down the power coming out of corners and therefore requires more wing to aid traction?

As has been said, they have a lot more data than us and so there must be a reason.