2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

dialtone wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:47
Rikhart wrote:Norris did way too many mistakes in the last laps, without those he might have won it. At this point I think the RB isn't even the better car now, but you need a better car to beat Verstappen.
I disagree. He was driving the car to the limit, what you see is controlling the car at the limit, not mistakes.

Great drive from Lando.
He made several CLEAR mistakes, losing time with each one. That is called overdriving, and lost him a possible victory.

Rikhart
Rikhart

AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:32
When the cars are almost equal great races are sure to come. Might just have a championahip fight on our hands if McLaren can keep the pressure on.
For a championship battle to exist the two drivers must be close points wise

Verstapen is something like 50-60 points ahead while clearly having a much faster car…
Oh yes, clearly much faster car, as we saw in the last 2 races, and with Perez on this weekend, especially. :lol:

dialtone wrote:
Rikhart wrote:Norris did way too many mistakes in the last laps, without those he might have won it. At this point I think the RB isn't even the better car now, but you need a better car to beat Verstappen.
I disagree. He was driving the car to the limit, what you see is controlling the car at the limit, not mistakes.

Great drive from Lando.
There was some overdriving in there. It also looks like battery mgmt wasn’t quite right if the graphic was right he saved some on battery when VER was spending. He could’ve been in DRS earlier
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dialtone
dialtone

Rikhart wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Great drive from Lando.
He made several CLEAR mistakes, losing time with each one. That is called overdriving, and lost him a possible victory.
If he didn’t drive that way he wasn’t passing anyway. To stay close enough to get DRS you need to drive in dirty air and Imola never has enough space to develop the speed differential.

If Michael couldn’t pass Alonso, nobody passes here on same strategy.

renault rs26
renault rs26

AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 May 2024, 15:37
Wow what a lovely race!

I’m laughing with all those writing yesterday “the race is on” 😂
Who's laughing now? :D

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

How can anyone fault Lando for pushing??? He had to take massive risks in order to have any chance, but even then it would be extremely hard to overtake anyway. Had he gone off track and lost several seconds, that’s something else, but this?? People are hellbent on finding something to complain about all the time, it’s unbelievable.

bananapeel23

AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:32
When the cars are almost equal great races are sure to come. Might just have a championahip fight on our hands if McLaren can keep the pressure on.
For a championship battle to exist the two drivers must be close points wise

Verstapen is something like 50-60 points ahead while clearly having a much faster car…
That 50-60 point gap can close VERY quickly if Red Bull starts ending up as the 3rd best car on some weekends. I still think Verstappen has a >90% chance of winning the championship, but if Ferrari gets their --- together and Verstappen keeps getting pushged by the McLarens, a fight could definitely be on.

As for the Constructors championship. The fight is 100% on. Ferrari and McLaren have much better lineups, and if the cars remain this close Checo will be like an anchor. Unless Red Bull starts outdeveloping Ferrari and McLaren again, I'd say its a 50/50 at best for Red Bull.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 19 May 2024, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Vettel165

Wow what a win by Max, didnt see that coming after FP3. Lando and Charles were also amazing. I have to say Red Bull in Max hands were the fastest car on medium tyres. This was the tyre which they focused on in practice with race simulation. It was a big mistake that they didnt also try the hard tyre more, as they would have more infomation. As in the end of the last stint Norris was faster, Red Bull was sliding around. I am thinking if Verstappen didnt make a tactical pull pack and save the tyres when the gap went from +7 to +2s he would have lost the race. Red Bull in-season development is usually spot on in the second part of the season.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

214270 wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:50
dialtone wrote:

Great drive from Lando.
There was some overdriving in there. It also looks like battery mgmt wasn’t quite right if the graphic was right he saved some on battery when VER was spending. He could’ve been in DRS earlier
It wasn't overdriving, he was probably pushing the McLaren close to the limit chasing down Verstappen. Another few laps and he might have had him. Catching is one thing, passing is another thing entirely.

CHT
CHT

Charles is putting alot of pressure on Lewis to speak Italian next season.

ringo

Max did not manage his race well. Still won as Norris was not going to overtake even if he was in DRS 10 laps before the finish.
Norris looking the hungrier and sharper driver today. Not sure what happened on Max's car but he's getting a wakeup call now. He could have used the hards a bit better. I dont think he did an optimum race; track limits violations and all.
Mclaren managed the hard tyre better with Norris.
Could you imagine the fireworks if Norris went to Redbull?
When Max starts finding excuses and complaining you are reminded of 2021 when he had to compete. It really adds to the suspense. You just dont know if his tyres are going to blow out or the battery burn up.
Further down the track, Ferrari just not on the pace off front runners. Theyre a lonely third. Leclerc did well to push lando a bit. Sainz shoeed why he is being dropped. Just cant hang with the top drivers.
Mercedes kept Lewis out too long om the old mediums and i guess he was pushing before pitting and he just ran out of grip. That lost him mayb 4 seconds going into the gravel.
He did however have better race pace than Russel. But qualifying determined the race result. He was bottled up behind russel from the start and hung back 1.5 seconds most of the race. Even showing better pace on the hards he would have still caught Russel and have to hang back. So even with the error, the result would have been Russel ahead.
Russel had a clean error free race. Almost looked like catching sainz then he fell back.
Makes you wonder if the merc pitted lewis first if he would have caught Sainz.
Boring race save for the Max and Norris pressure moments.
For Sure!!

ringo

CHT wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:07
Charles is putting alot of pressure on Lewis to speak Italian next season.
Yes!! I was just about to say Lewis would have to just increase his Italian finger genstures arsenal and forget about talking Italian. He wont learn so much in 1 year. Or maybe bring his phone into the interviews to translate.
For Sure!!

ringo

Rikhart wrote:
19 May 2024, 16:48
dialtone wrote:

Great drive from Lando.
Norris didnt make any mistakes.
He kept the car on track following in dirty air. That's how you drive on the limit chasing another car.
Maybe you are used to seeing a car at 90% in clean air or one optimized for a clean air run in qualy on fresh tyres. But perfecr run by Norris to chase Max. He didnt put a foot wrong in my book.
He will win a few more times this year. And i suspect Perez will be called in to trip up Norris if the points gap gets too close to Max.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

ringo wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:14

Mercedes kept Lewis out too long om the old mediums and i guess he was pushing before pitting and he just ran out of grip. That lost him mayb 4 seconds going into the gravel.
He did however have better race pace than Russel. But qualifying determined the race result. He was bottled up behind russel from the start and hung back 1.5 seconds most of the race. Even showing better pace on the hards he would have still caught Russel and have to hang back. So even with the error, the result would have been Russel ahead.
Russel had a clean error free race. Almost looked like catching sainz then he fell back.
Makes you wonder if the merc pitted lewis first if he would have caught Sainz.
Boring race save for the Max and Norris pressure moments.
according to bono on the radio lewis was matching max when he went on the hards and lewis was 0.6 secs faster than russell, he could have definitely passed Sainz imo

Veteran
Veteran

Max was just brilliant. That car this weekend had no right to be in the top 3. Yet Max took Pole and won. Mcln really up there and Ferrari for that matter and all the Adrian Newey talk that he is the only way a team can win.

The competition is closer with more teams than ever.