2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

epo wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:34
epo wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:42

Mercedes? Why talking about Mercedes, fourth team not interesting at all, we have Ferrari, Mclaren and RB faster cars, more interesting drivers so please keep that Mercedes talk into the team forums.
Mercedes were at the Imola GP and therefore talking about them in the Imola GP thread is ok, surely?
Yeah you, there was not any interesting thing about Mercedes besides the fact Russell was again faster than Hamilton.
And yet who finished ahead of whom? Not that it matters when both are messing around in the midfield and neither are really happy about the results.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Seanspeed wrote:
19 May 2024, 23:13
dialtone wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:56
Sieper wrote:There is literally nobody saying Max is a god or that he drove a tractor from Imola. That is all hyperbole and likely just emotions speaking. The bad thing about is that people introduce these terms themselves and then go on to say the Max fanbase is bad for saying so. What is that for a weird kind of tactic and why do we have to do this everytime.
That’s in response to reactions that seem like Max won a race with Williams.

He started on pole, some folks said he was going to be on pole even without the tow because he did a 23.4 before.

Comfortably got out of DRS range in 1 lap, then took off until the last 10-15 laps where Lando caught up but had absolutely no chance to overtake.

Norris had same pressure from Leclerc, Leclerc had from Piastri and Piastri had on Sainz.

MCL had Norris who nursed his tires and Piastri who burned them quick. Max drove the usual great race but he wouldn’t have won without a great car.

That’s about it. RBR still best car of the lot, MCL close 2nd and Ferrari close 3rd.
I dunno, I'd absolutely be inclined to say that Max made the difference this weekend. And that if you switched cars between Norris and Max, that Max would have dominated in the Mclaren. I really do think Red Bull was probably only 2nd fastest car here overall. And yes, I do think Max is a step ahead of basically the whole rest of the grid to achieve results like this.

It's like people forget that Max was not always in a dominant car. He'd won lots of races before Red Bull became class of the field in 2022, and I'd argue won the championship in 2021 in a car slightly weaker than the Mercedes over the whole season against a driver many consider to be the best ever.

He's not a god, but he's absolutely an alien level talent.
No driver is quicker than the car can go. No driver. Ever. Never. Ever. Physics works that way.

PlatinumZealot

I think people are trying to create a "struggle story" for the guy in 2024 because they are already so bored and know the championship is practically gift wrapped already for him. Hehe. Come on guys... Just let the season play out. We don't need any breaking-bad-esque surprise success stories for Max. Just let Max do his thing man. Let him cook!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dialtone
dialtone

Seanspeed wrote:
dialtone wrote:
19 May 2024, 22:56
Sieper wrote:There is literally nobody saying Max is a god or that he drove a tractor from Imola. That is all hyperbole and likely just emotions speaking. The bad thing about is that people introduce these terms themselves and then go on to say the Max fanbase is bad for saying so. What is that for a weird kind of tactic and why do we have to do this everytime.
That’s in response to reactions that seem like Max won a race with Williams.

He started on pole, some folks said he was going to be on pole even without the tow because he did a 23.4 before.

Comfortably got out of DRS range in 1 lap, then took off until the last 10-15 laps where Lando caught up but had absolutely no chance to overtake.

Norris had same pressure from Leclerc, Leclerc had from Piastri and Piastri had on Sainz.

MCL had Norris who nursed his tires and Piastri who burned them quick. Max drove the usual great race but he wouldn’t have won without a great car.

That’s about it. RBR still best car of the lot, MCL close 2nd and Ferrari close 3rd.
I dunno, I'd absolutely be inclined to say that Max made the difference this weekend. And that if you switched cars between Norris and Max, that Max would have dominated in the Mclaren. I really do think Red Bull was probably only 2nd fastest car here overall. And yes, I do think Max is a step ahead of basically the whole rest of the grid to achieve results like this.

It's like people forget that Max was not always in a dominant car. He'd won lots of races before Red Bull became class of the field in 2022, and I'd argue won the championship in 2021 in a car slightly weaker than the Mercedes over the whole season against a driver many consider to be the best ever.

He's not a god, but he's absolutely an alien level talent.
He’s a great driver like there are 3-4 on the grid right now and one of the 3-4 best of the last decade if not 2 decades. As a multiple WCC winner, he’s obviously at the top of the food chain, any team would be lucky to have him and this is no joke from me.

His team mate is an absolute joke and he would have won WCC last year as well, no way to tell how good Max is by comparison so everything now mixes Max and car and we do know that car is absolutely alien, it’s not as dominant as last year but the acceleration on start, even when Max doesn’t have the fastest reaction, traction, high cornering performance, top speed, are all things that the car has and allows and they are again among the top 2-3 cars in history.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
19 May 2024, 23:28
His team mate is an absolute joke
Beaten by both Merc drivers who are driving mid field cars. Game, set, match.

Dee
Dee

His team mate is an absolute joke and he would have won WCC last year as well, no way to tell how good Lewis is by comparison so everything now mixes Lewis and car and we do know that car is absolutely alien, it’s not as dominant as last year but the acceleration on start, even when Lewis doesn’t have the fastest reaction, traction, high cornering performance, top speed, are all things that the car has and allows and they are again among the top 2-3 cars in history.
Just switching it around because what you have just said describes Lewis championships when Bottas was in the car. Now you are saying the same thing but it's about Max. When you try to discredit Max, you discredit Hamilton achievements as well.

dialtone
dialtone

Dee wrote:
His team mate is an absolute joke and he would have won WCC last year as well, no way to tell how good Lewis is by comparison so everything now mixes Lewis and car and we do know that car is absolutely alien, it’s not as dominant as last year but the acceleration on start, even when Lewis doesn’t have the fastest reaction, traction, high cornering performance, top speed, are all things that the car has and allows and they are again among the top 2-3 cars in history.
Just switching it around because what you have just said describes Lewis championships when Bottas was in the car. Now you are saying the same thing but it's about Max. When you try to discredit Max, you discredit Hamilton achievements as well.
What about when Lewis had Nico in the car or when he fought evenly with Alonso? Those don’t count I imagine? What about Button who he beat in 2010 and 2012 despite having 5 DNFs against just 2? And now Russell who he’s even with despite being double his age?

And folks have the courage to say that pointing out how Max’s fan live on the moon is unfair…

stephen

The highlight of the race was a great chase by Lando at the end. One or two laps more and we may see a different winner.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Dee
Dee

dialtone wrote:
20 May 2024, 01:55
Dee wrote:
What about when Lewis had Nico in the car or when he fought evenly with Alonso? Those don’t count I imagine? What about Button who he beat in 2010 and 2012 despite having 5 DNFs against just 2? And now Russell who he’s even with despite being double his age?

And folks have the courage to say that pointing out how Max’s fan live on the moon is unfair…
Why are you questioning Lewis titles? I just showed you how unfairly you were judging Max. If you want to judge Lewis other titles with the same bias, then go ahead.

Watto
Watto

stephen wrote:
20 May 2024, 01:57
The highlight of the race was a great chase by Lando at the end. One or two laps more and we may see a different winner.
I don't think he would have gotten past Max at least not that easily.

Lando closed well but over taking Max would have been a very different things. Think he would have had to have Max make a mistake and don't think that was going to happen. Was Lando making the *tiny* errors if anything late.

Was exciting seeing in close in on Max no doubt think he would have needed quote a few laps to find a way past. We saw how much difficulty Oscar has over taking the Ferraris when though I think he had the better pace in clean air.

dialtone
dialtone

2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 17 - 19

Dee wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Dee wrote:

Why are you questioning Lewis titles? I just showed you how unfairly you were judging Max. If you want to judge Lewis other titles with the same bias, then go ahead.
I’m judging nothing. I gave you data to show Lewis went multiple times against world champion team mates and came up on top.

Max hasn’t.

If that burns you it’s only because it’s true.

There’s a world of difference from pointing this out and thinking that Max is mid, something I’ve never said.

CHT
CHT

dialtone wrote:
20 May 2024, 03:20
Dee wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I’m judging nothing. I gave you data to show Lewis went multiple times against world champion team mates and came up on top.

Max hasn’t.

There’s a world of difference from pointing this out and thinking that Max is mid, something I’ve never said.
LH is from different generation of F1 GOAT. time to move on.

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:
dialtone wrote:
20 May 2024, 03:20
Dee wrote: Why are you questioning Lewis titles? I just showed you how unfairly you were judging Max. If you want to judge Lewis other titles with the same bias, then go ahead.

Max hasn’t.

LH is from different generation of F1 GOAT. time to move on.
It’s irrelevant to the point and I’m not the one that brought him up so you are replying to the wrong person.

organic

McLaren were the fastest but whoever was on pole would've won the race.

CHT
CHT

organic wrote:
20 May 2024, 04:48
McLaren were the fastest but whoever was on pole would've won the race.
Mclaren was like a rocket ship in the DRS zone when overtaking slower cars, but somehow I find Max was playing too safe in this race after building some margin over Lando in the beginning. Perhaps everyone was thinking about SC and tire management