Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bananapeel23

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Henk_v wrote:
23 May 2024, 20:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2024, 17:41
matteosc wrote:
23 May 2024, 16:44

The DRS flap looks very small compared to lower downforce wing, and honestly to RedBull solution as well.
Not expecting much of a DRS effect with this wing.
DRS is fairly pointless in Monaco anyway - there isn't enough room / time to benefit from it. Probably better to have the "best" downforce you can so that you can maximise qualifying and then tyre usage in the race itself.
Isn't qualy with DRS? It may not help you to overtake, but it helps in laptime.
Yes it does help to some degree, but the "straight" in Monaco is so short that you never really get up to the speeds where DRS starts to make a big difference. It might be worth a few tenths at most in quali, and whatever reduction in DRS area you get from running that type of wing (if any) will be heavily outweighed by the laptime you gain from going for max downforce.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Henk_v wrote:
23 May 2024, 20:05
Just_a_fan wrote:
matteosc wrote:

The DRS flap looks very small compared to lower downforce wing, and honestly to RedBull solution as well.
DRS is fairly pointless in Monaco anyway - there isn't enough room / time to benefit from it. Probably better to have the "best" downforce you can so that you can maximise qualifying and then tyre usage in the race itself.
Isn't qualy with DRS? It may not help you to overtake, but it helps in laptime.
I would guess that the gain from maximum downforce is more than the gain from DRS. At Monaco. Everywhere else is likely to be as you say.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zioture
zioture

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I'll come and clean this tomorrow morning when I'm on the PC

It's become a bit much and several posts are miles off topic.

Thanks for reporting.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

FDD
FDD

Monaco version of the front wing, optional
Gurney flap

ringo

Imola beam wing looks like higher load to me, if i am going by what was posted.
For Sure!!

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Can't find/link posts currently but I hope someone can help illuminate something, I feel (not something backed up by evidence :mrgreen: ) that early versions of the high df wings (~2022) had almost vertical DRS flaps, compared to now which seems comparatively backed off?
Am I imagining things?

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
24 May 2024, 00:23
If I remember right, there was discussion that RB kick is not in the spirit of the current regulations.
Not really against any spirit, it just looks to me like they wanted to emulate having a separate diffuser and generating some high local load with that kick there. Also, that peak load likely enhances the diffuser vortex, since the pressure difference is increased

viewtopic.php?p=1087823#p1087823

Ferrari is still doing it as they started and won't change it with 18 months left in this reg cycle :)

ringo wrote:
24 May 2024, 02:31
Imola beam wing looks like higher load to me, if i am going by what was posted.
It really does look like that, yet it's not used in Monaco. The overall floor downforce boost must be offsetting this loss even at the cost of extra drag

CaribouBread wrote:
24 May 2024, 05:20
Can't find/link posts currently but I hope someone can help illuminate something, I feel (not something backed up by evidence :mrgreen: ) that early versions of the high df wings (~2022) had almost vertical DRS flaps, compared to now which seems comparatively backed off?
Am I imagining things?
Nah, the biggest difference is the span of the high-AoA central section.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Very nice photo alignment from Formu1a.uno team, Ferrari's wing is now featuring the biggest angle of main plane and suggests they are putting more emphasis on maximum load than lower drag with DRS on. Other 3 wings are same as last year as far as I can tell

Very different from 2022 wing

#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

Come Spain i'll see if this theory is proven correct but i believe teams(Ferrari included) are designing these wings in a very extreme fashion, in 2022 the high downforce wing was still ment to be used in Barcelona, Hungary and Singapore...
I think many teams will have an intermediary wing for Barcelona(specially) and maybe Hungary.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66

Asymmetrical and very much open cooling louvres on Imola bodywork. It definitely feels like they have some room to shrink down their sidepods even further, even if the car doesn't feature centreline radiators

Looks closer and closer to launch F1-75 :lol:

#BlessYouLaddie

matteosc
matteosc

Just_a_fan wrote:
matteosc wrote:
I agree for the Monaco circuit, but I would expect that this rear wing will be used in other races requiring high downforce as well (with different beam wings etcetera, obviously). I think that with the current budget cup the is no longer the opportunity for developing and building a one-off for a single circuit.

bananapeel23

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 May 2024, 15:29
Asymmetrical and very much open cooling louvres on Imola bodywork. It definitely feels like they have some room to shrink down their sidepods even further, even if the car doesn't feature centreline radiators

https://cdn-9.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp

https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp

Looks closer and closer to launch F1-75 :lol:

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 873698.jpg
Wow it really does look like the F1-75 from that angle. I'll just pretend that means it handles like a 2024 version of it and will easily get Leclerc his 3rd Monaco pole, but with him also winning this time.

Also maaaaaan the F1-75 was one pretty car, although I think the SF23 had a prettier livery.

organic

Gazquez