2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Well Pierre did say the car would look a LOT different by race 7? Didn’t he. I’m not overly sure if it looks massively different from the start of the season however

Sergej
Sergej

chrisc90 wrote:
24 May 2024, 12:08
Well Pierre did say the car would look a LOT different by race 7? Didn’t he. I’m not overly sure if it looks massively different from the start of the season however
it was Newey who said that
During the F1 Nation podcast, Tom Clarkson mentioned a brief encounter he had with Adrian during testing. Below what he said:

Tom: “Adrian your car looks good”

Adrian: “it is going to look very different after race seven” (which is Italy). “We got a big upgrade coming”.
maybe at the time he was already out of the project ? lol

anyway, I don't have an answer, race seven is past, maybe it was simply an overstatement, another possibility could be that they are late with respect to the scheduled development, but it seems unlikely to me.

chrisc90

Or Monaco isn’t a good place to bring an upgrade like that.

I’d read it actually, after race 7, so that’s after Imola.

Sergej
Sergej

Helmut Marko after FP1

"The car is too bumpy at the moment. But it looks worse than it is. The car jumps too much and there is a lack of grip on the front axle in certain corners."

"For us, only the Leclerc time is alarming. The others [at the front] drove on the soft tyres."

as expected I'd say, let's hope it won't rain in FP2 so that setup can be studied and corrected.

TNTHead

They try to run as stiff as possible, so the ride height is it its minimum? If they soften the suspension the ride height needs to be increased leading to a loss of downforce. So they'll need a optimum in trade off, which is not yet there.

organic

Red Bull chief engineer Paul Monaghan has said that Red Bull Racing is preparing to do much more in terms of upgrades this year , and that this is not a reaction to McLaren's recent threat.
"The visual appearance of an upgrade is not necessarily indicative of its aerodynamic performance," he said.

"It's not that we have a car that is off the pace so we have to experiment potentially with big changes. We have a really competitive car. I think we have a good understanding of the car. We should not doubt our development process. We have updates coming."

The Englishman continued, explaining how the upcoming updates are not a response, but they are part of an already planned development programme:

"The increase in production requirements determines when we can bring it in, so we have upgrades coming, and it's not something you react to because last week we were a bit tight, and in Miami we obviously got beaten. The plan is ready and we are not lazy in making the improvements, so that when they are ready, they will be ready. Don't worry, now it will be a race with more people.

Together with its rivals, the team had to allocate some resources to the creation of a special Monaco high downforce package.

"Like all the other nine teams, we created a downforce package for Monaco," Monaghan said.

"Don't forget that this will be the basis for Hungary, Singapore and anywhere else we want to race. One has to put up with the pain. We knew we had to do it when the calendar came out. So we plan it, we know we will do a rear wing package for Monaco and we go."
Monaghan says there is still some difference between the teams in terms of lap times, as was evident at Imola. "I think there is still some difference," he said. "If we say there are three ranges of cornering speeds, low, medium and high, there is still some dispersion, but it's a moving target, isn't it? So each circuit presents us with its own set of challenges. And we just have to present ourselves and deal with them better than everyone else. So if we get our lap time a little bit different from our nearest rivals, that's our choice, isn't it?"
"If you look at Imola, for example, McLaren had a different level of wings than Ferrari, and a different level of wings than Mercedes, as far as I know. So there are three different ways of doing lap times. If you put a bigger wing on, you accept you're slightly slower on the straight, but you expect to be slightly better in the corners and you make your swap. It sets the requirements for the front wing and influences the ride height. To open up the way people achieve lap times, the cars can make their own choices. Like we do on every circuit."

Dunlay
Dunlay

The car is looking so unstable.

organic

Dunlay wrote:
24 May 2024, 17:43
The car is looking so unstable.
Probably good enough for a top 3 but pole looks out of sight

Sergej
Sergej

a very expected Friday, even though a bit better than in Imola I think

car obviously needs a fine tuning (maybe a softer setup), problem is that both Buemi and Dennis are in China for Shanghai E-Prix, not sure who will do the sim work (van Buren ?)

I think at the moment Max could snatch second place, Leclerc *seems* out of reach (unless he was lighter and on higher engine modes, which I suspect)

Helmut Marko after FP2

"The car is still too stiff, but we haven't driven at full engine power yet. But we were able to improve between the first and second practice sessions."

"I think we are the second fastest behind Leclerc, but we have to find a way to prevent the car from jumping so much without losing the aerodynamic advantages.

Our long run was good, but that doesn't help if you don't start at the front. But hopefully that will help us to solve the problem."
Last edited by Sergej on 24 May 2024, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Multiple important figures within Red Bull have signed new long-term contracts:

Pierre Waché (Technical Director)
Enrico Balbo (Head of Aerodynamics)
Ben Waterhouse (Head of Performance Engineering)
Paul Monaghan (Chief engineer)

Were they all not suppose to leave Red Bull due to Horner? Like Newey left, "according to reputed journalists"? His Majesty Jos was certain that the team was in turmoil. :lol:

Cs98
Cs98

Dunlay wrote:
24 May 2024, 19:11
Multiple important figures within Red Bull have signed new long-term contracts:

Pierre Waché (Technical Director)
Enrico Balbo (Head of Aerodynamics)
Ben Waterhouse (Head of Performance Engineering)
Paul Monaghan (Chief engineer)

Were they all not suppose to leave Red Bull due to Horner? Like Newey left, "according to reputed journalists"? His Majesty Jos was certain that the team was in turmoil. :lol:
I think we've come to understand your view on this, you don't need to remind us every week. No one ever said everyone was going to leave.

ringo

That horny ehm horner scandal is in the rear view mirrors. He has survived it quite well. The media aren't even talking about it anymore. The team owners were right to think long term and not give into the media pressure.
I am surprised the car has become like the mercedes, first it copies some mercedes aero tricks, now it's sprung just as stiffly.
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

ringo wrote:
24 May 2024, 19:22
That horny ehm horner scandal is in the rear view mirrors. He has survived it quite well. The media aren't even talking about it anymore. The team owners were right to think long term and not give into the media pressure.
I am surprised the car has become like the mercedes, first it copies some mercedes aero tricks, now it's sprung just as stiffly.
They can't talk about it. Everyone is waiting for the outcome of the legal process.

organic

Marko
We have to look for a set-up that will allow us to attack the kerbs more. Max said the car was jumping like a kangaroo, and Perez also had the same problems.

We have to try not to make the car jump and not lose downforce. We learnt a lot from the long runs, so we know which direction to take to improve. But whether we will be able to do that before qualifying, I would say, remains to be seen."
Doesn't sound so bad TBF

He also said the long runs were strong and that there's a lot to come from engine modes, but that Leclerc is clearly ahead over 1 lap of course

Engine mode rpm from quali runs

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
24 May 2024, 19:51
Marko
We have to look for a set-up that will allow us to attack the kerbs more. Max said the car was jumping like a kangaroo, and Perez also had the same problems.

We have to try not to make the car jump and not lose downforce. We learnt a lot from the long runs, so we know which direction to take to improve. But whether we will be able to do that before qualifying, I would say, remains to be seen."
Doesn't sound so bad TBF
Sounds bad to me:
"I don't think I can describe what is going on. It's difficult, but not what I did not expect. The worst possible outcome of the weekend. The bumps, kerbs and camber changes, we lose a lot of laptime, as the car struggles to drive.

"We don't have a clear direction. These things we can't change with set-up. cause it's how the car is made. We can make some set-up changes overnight. They [Ferrari] are miles ahead, I am not even thinking about that. I am just focused on making the car more drivable."
-Ver after FP2
Last edited by AR3-GP on 24 May 2024, 20:01, edited 2 times in total.