2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
24 May 2024, 17:55
I’ll be amazed if Leclerc isn’t on pole aka the win.
I don’t think McLaren are as competitive as they and we all hoped.
By the sounds of it, McLaren are working on race setup rather than outright speed.

bananapeel23

geogate wrote:
24 May 2024, 13:55
Grieves me to say it, but Ferrari are looking good out the box
The SF24 always looks good straight away. The car isn't quite as fast as the others, but it has proven to be an incredibly dependable workhorse that is just about as far from a setup princess as you can get. It always works well, just rarely the best.

Emag
Emag

The car still has the same weaknesses it did before. The last upgrade made it so that they could compromise on their strengths a bit and improve on the weaknesses via setup. On a track where everyone sets up the car for corner-types which are exactly where the car is not at its best, its not so surprising they're not as competitive as they've been the last couple of races.

Of course, cant draw conclusions yet. Its not over until its over. But the Leclerc+Ferrari combo is looking very strong.

CjC
CjC

taperoo2k wrote:
24 May 2024, 17:56
CjC wrote:
24 May 2024, 17:55
I’ll be amazed if Leclerc isn’t on pole aka the win.
I don’t think McLaren are as competitive as they and we all hoped.
By the sounds of it, McLaren are working on race setup rather than outright speed.
Surely that’s a waste of time though??
Just a fan's point of view

Keneticss
Keneticss

I don’t know if it is really useful but from what I can see on the track during FP1 and FP2 Mercedes and Ferrari where scrapping the floor way more than the McLaren

Macklaren
Macklaren

The teamstream described FP2 as "very very solid". They usually play down the session. We're still cooking

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
24 May 2024, 17:59
The car still has the same weaknesses it did before. The last upgrade made it so that they could compromise on their strengths a bit and improve on the weaknesses via setup. On a track where everyone sets up the car for corner-types which are exactly where the car is not at its best, its not so surprising they're not as competitive as they've been the last couple of races.

Of course, cant draw conclusions yet. Its not over until its over. But the Leclerc+Ferrari combo is looking very strong.
At the moment, Leclerc looks very angry and strong. A very powerful lap, in fact, it beat last year’s pole position by one tenth. I expected to see Mercedes at the top. McLaren hasn't given his all yet. I think tomorrow the results will become more dense, but it’s not a fact that this will change anything.

mwillems

Keneticss wrote:
24 May 2024, 18:17
I don’t know if it is really useful but from what I can see on the track during FP1 and FP2 Mercedes and Ferrari where scrapping the floor way more than the McLaren
I haven't watched but I was curious to hear how much of the corners we were taking and what that would mean for the setup and overall compromise. Looking forward to watching FP3 and Qualy tomorrow whilst pretending to watch my Daughters rugby team presentation.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bananapeel23

Keneticss wrote:
The McLaren tends to scrape the floor the most out of any team on smooth tracks, at least that's what I've always noticed from their onboards. The fact that they aren't scraping now probably means that they don't feel comfortable dropping the floor any lower without the floor slamming into the ground over bumps.

Keneticss
Keneticss

bananapeel23 wrote:
24 May 2024, 18:24
Keneticss wrote:
The McLaren tends to scrape the floor the most out of any team on smooth tracks, at least that's what I've always noticed from their onboards. The fact that they aren't scraping now probably means that they don't feel comfortable dropping the floor any lower without the floor slamming into the ground over bumps.

I’m at turn 13 maybe if you want you can watch onboard and you could possibly hear it

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

In Monaco 2023, McLaren qualified in 1:12.254. Now in the second practice 1:11.953. Stella seems to have already said that they are more than a second faster here than last year. This means everyone will gain a lot tomorrow. So nothing bad happened today.

mwillems

-Bandit

mwillems

There's close, and there's this...

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I think Mclaren has more to give and Im sure just like with Red Bull they can find something overnight.

mwillems

We were a couple of tenths behind Ferrari at Imola after FP2. I'm not suggesting that things will shift like they did at Imola, but it is a gentle reminder that even after FP2 we do not know the relative pace of the cars. I also note that our long run pace is better than Ferrari but worse than RB, on face value. Ferrari were doing hot and cool laps too so their 2 faster laps on the Long run were assisted by the cooldown laps.

Looking over the GPs this year, it looks like in general we are finding more time from FP2 to Q than Ferrari too. Charles has also stated that he thinks he was pushing more today than others. Something that myself and others observed.

I have to say I have no idea how this might go, we could be tenths in front or tenths behind, it looks tight.

Oh, and I think RB have a lot of time left in the car that they have chosen not to show yet and if I had to guess who was fastest after FP2, I'd actually say Red Bull, not Ferrari.

-Bandit