2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Waz
Waz

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 May 2024, 07:57
Ah, the mandatory Monaco-is-bad when the race is dry :)
Yip. Quickly forget what a belter it was last year. We have had many bigger reasons to change the Red Flag rules about tire changes etc before now, and didn't.

I remember a late red flag saving Vettel's skin back in 2011 or 12 already.

And faster degrading tires make no difference on cars driving around almost 10 seconds a lap slower than Pole for chunks of the race.

Waz
Waz

Honestly, getting rid of the chicane after the tunnel would make a bigger difference than all the other ideas combined.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Waz wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:29
Honestly, getting rid of the chicane after the tunnel would make a bigger difference than all the other ideas combined.
Is there any way to do this without having multiple casualties per race?

Timtim99
Timtim99

For Monaco - My choice of tires will be exclusively one tire, the purple-branded ones. I will leave it to the team to decide when to come in for a tire change. Tire degradation will determine who wins the race

mclaren111

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 May 2024, 08:27
DRS 100% of the lap available, let’s see who has balls 😂😂😂
=D> =D>

PinkFloydPulse

mclaren111 wrote:
27 May 2024, 11:51
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
=D> =D>
Don’t applaud this, it’s a terrible idea! 😂
Team Fernando!

chrstphrln

I just wrote it in another thread.
I can certainly understand that many people didn't like this tactical race, but just as many don't like the recurring pit stop lottery under the safety car.
Kind of an incident that completely turns the race on its head.

On the calls for more compulsory pit stops:
There was a mandatory pit stop, there was a red flag.
What if there are two red flags?
Should we then introduce three stops the following year?

There are things that just happen.
Monaco produces exciting chaos one year, boredom one year and perhaps boring chaos the next.
This year, the boredom after the crashes was extremely pleasant for me.
I'm also glad that it didn't come to the feared pit stop chaos during an SC phase.
It's horrible when a dozen or more cars pull into the pits and you have to wait ages until the slot is free to pull out.
Fortunately, we were spared this lottery.

Look at the F2 race. The different strategies and the mandatory pit stop created excitement there and in the end the VSC produced an unexpected winner.
A good race despite the few overtaking manoeuvres.
The F1 race could have been the same. But it wasn't. But that doesn't mean you have to rebuild the principality or downsize the cars.
Even if the latter is necessary in any case!

mclaren111

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:10
mclaren111 wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
=D> =D>

I Know... :lol:

AnthonyG

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:10
mclaren111 wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
=D> =D>
We had this in the past with the F-duct, it worked fine.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

codetower

chrstphrln wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:14
I can certainly understand that many people didn't like this tactical race, but just as many don't like the recurring pit stop lottery under the safety car.

Monaco produces exciting chaos one year, boredom one year and perhaps boring chaos the next.
I'm also glad that it didn't come to the feared pit stop chaos during an SC phase.
It's horrible when a dozen or more cars pull into the pits and you have to wait ages until the slot is free to pull out.

Look at the F2 race. The different strategies and the mandatory pit stop created excitement there and in the end the VSC produced an unexpected winner.
The F1 race could have been the same. But it wasn't. But that doesn't mean you have to rebuild the principality or downsize the cars.
There are no mandatory pit stops now, Just mandatory 2 tyre compounds. And red flag isn't technically a pit stop.

I say only for Monaco, remove the 2 compound rule, give teams 2 extra sets of C5s, force ONLY c5 allowed in race and 2 stop minimum. Monaco becomes the strategy race.

AriaanGert
AriaanGert

That is indeed an attractive idea. Or I come back to my old suggestion (sent years ago to Ecclestone) install sprinklers and turn them on randomly. or create a dry, wet, dry race with 2 switch overs.

DGP123
DGP123

The tyre stuff is all in hope, but doesn’t fix the glaring issue of the track layout. Remove MC from the calendar, dredge some land, and reconfigure to add an overtaking option. It’s really not that difficult. They’ve done it with apartments, so I don’t see why there isn’t the incentive to improve their major sporting spectacle, from continued negative press.

chrstphrln

codetower wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:47
chrstphrln wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:14

There are no mandatory pit stops now, Just mandatory 2 tyre compounds. And red flag isn't technically a pit stop.
That's splitting hairs a bit.
And you're missing the point. If the F1 race had gone like the F2 race, it would have been a completely normal Monaco Sunday and nobody would be complaining. At most about the unfairness of the safety car lottery.
As it has been for decades. There were those races in which virtually nothing happened under so many regulations, and the next artificial intervention would certainly not change that.
Monaco was very often decided on Saturday. Everyone knows that and it's okay.
That's why it's the iconic Monaco.

But it's just my opinion.

Scorpaguy

Monaco is just what liberty wants...a party for the ultra rich...with a backdrop of colorful slot cars in the background. Looking at the stands, it seems there were plenty of paying customers willing to shell out cash for this dog.

So we have the glitz, glamor, and cash...no losers in the equation (as Liberty Media do not care squat about motorsport aficionados).

mkay
mkay

DGP123 wrote:
27 May 2024, 14:23
The tyre stuff is all in hope, but doesn’t fix the glaring issue of the track layout. Remove MC from the calendar, dredge some land, and reconfigure to add an overtaking option. It’s really not that difficult. They’ve done it with apartments, so I don’t see why there isn’t the incentive to improve their major sporting spectacle, from continued negative press.
There's not much they can do to the layout, to be fair. Perhaps there's a way they can run into the land reclamation project at Portier, but it's very much TBD. Otherwise, what they could do is go around the Portier roundabout to allow for greater speeds into the tunnel and therefore a longer braking zone at Nouvelle Chicane..