2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

https://x.com/RosarioGiuliana/status/18 ... 0628835485

2 tenths according to one of the authors of the article.

jambuka
jambuka

If they bring 0.2 to Barcelona Ferrari will be 1-2. Seems like a pipe dream

dia6olo
dia6olo

jambuka wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 23:10
I wouldn't say 0.2 is a pipe dream, the car has got some tyre warm up issues and I feel just a fix that cures or even renders it much less of a problem could add around 0.2 of performance to the car without any other changes.

If they can sort the tyre warm up issue out, they likely start races further up the grid, they are then less likely to have to deal with slower cars in front of them, hurting their tyres in the process, even in a race stint, they wouldn't require multiple laps to get the tyres to temp, rinse and repeat because of safety cars and other incidents.
Personally I don't think 0.2 unrealistic at all if the upgrade tackles and cures the tyre warm up issue.
Last edited by dia6olo on 12 Jun 2024, 11:17, edited 9 times in total.

yooogurt

jambuka wrote:
RB will bring update to Barcelona as well, no?
FORZA FERRARI!

organic

Lewis' form looks troubling for the next couple of years. Seems to me like he's hit that performance cliff like Seb and others did. Every weekend Sainz seems like the better bet to me and 80 million cheaper

Chuckjr

300+ million cheaper.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

he is not far off in race compared to Russell

Cassius
Cassius

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 07:14
Lewis' form looks troubling for the next couple of years. Seems to me like he's hit that performance cliff like Seb and others did. Every weekend Sainz seems like the better bet to me and 80 million cheaper
Sainz is almost never faster in the race than Leclerc. Hamilton is still faster than Russell on race pace. His qualifying performance is hurting him.

Hamilton is the better racer and also superior from a marketing perspective.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Cassius wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 09:32
Sainz is almost never faster in the race than Leclerc. Hamilton is still faster than Russell on race pace. His qualifying performance is hurting him.

But do we need a driver that's faster than Leclerc? Red Bull don't need a driver that's faster than Max. Two very fast drivers is great in midfield where the team comes first, not at the sharp end where it's about wins and titles. Marketing wise? Awesome! Sporting wise I think keeping Sainz would've been the FAR better decision. It's a shame just when the team looks like it's headed in the right direction the higher ups have to meddle with things and potentially shatter the team harmony that's been built.

Xyz22
Xyz22

https://x.com/GiulyDuchessa/status/1800815727735341075

The article pretty much confirms that the SF 24 is significantly limited in specific scenarios (low temperature, track layout that doesn't help with tyre warm up, etc.), which again is to be expected considering they had to completely change the concept of the car compared to the 2023 season.

According to the article the main goal now is to increase DWF which should help with the underlying limitations. In my opinion, they will need a new chassis to fix them completely.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 11:12
According to the article the main goal now is to increase DWF which should help with the underlying limitations. In my opinion, they will need a new chassis to fix them completely.
Yes, clearly they've over-corrected tyre overheating issue by attacking it by both reintroducing very stable downforce generation and redesigned suspension kinematics between seasons. As article suggests and we've known for sure since China, cold weather and dry tyres don't mix well for SF-24. I think having unknown grip levels at both China and Montreal races and thus missing optimal setup(s) exaggerated the problem.

If neither Ferrari, McLaren or RB are able to introduce larger amounts of (floor) downforce per each upgrade package - and this seems to be the case - Ferrari's options this year will likely be limited. I think they may have one option, but this is something they also wanted to avoid and change this year - they can steer the aero development direction towards higher Q performance with peaky aero map. This way they will start higher up the grid always and inherently better tyre deg could offset lower aero stability in the race. They have nothing to lose and I think they should do this for post-summer-break races.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dia6olo
dia6olo

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 07:14
This is only my opinion but I feel the current difference between Russell and Lewis is that Lewis has been there before, he has seen it all and done it all and is currently driving a car (and has done for the best part of 3 years) that is unlikely to contend for wins let alone championships.
Russell on the other hand is hungry and trying to prove himself.

Personally I think if both had a genuine championship contending car or even a multiple race wining car Lewis would comfortably outshine Russell.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how he fairs at Ferrari in 2025 assuming he is given a capable car though realistically 2026 would be a more fair assessment of were he is really at, again assuming he is given a capable car.

Sidewinder
Sidewinder

SoulPancake13 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 04:38
Xyz22 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:22
ing. wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:15
I can understand that it was a bad/unlucky weekend, possibly because of cold temps and rain, and even an engine issue… things happen. But after all the hope that with the organizational changes made that there would no longer be any more stupid, random, roll-of-the dice, bound-to-fail, against-all-logic tire strategies, today’s display was sadly disheartening.

Do they not have weather radar? Did they really think that—of all the tire choices— the Hards would be the best choice in still wet conditions with a good chance of more rain? That call just defied any logic.
That was just a colossal gamble considering the race was completely lost. They were not sure they would have fixed the engine issue.

In any event the goal is to keep improving. Highly likely that McL will be 2nd best this year which sound’t be a surprise considering last year they were almost 1s quicker than Ferrari in real tracks. They probably started the year with a conservative car and Ferrari historically has been able to start the season with relatively better package. Their upgrade has been massive and put them into a position to often challenge for the win. We had 2 chances to win and we did it, which was important.
I somewhat disagree. Yes, Ferrari had a bad weekend, I won't deny that, but Imola showed that the Ferrari is not miles off the McLaren(and according to Charles they didn't maximize the setup, another tenth puts Leclerc at the same pace there). What the car needs now is the ability to generate temps for the qualifying lap, which is supposed to be addressed at Silverstone. After that, I think we should see who will be 2nd best, but until then, the car is still competitive in the hotter conditions which we should hopefully see in Barcelona. This is too much of a knee jerk reaction to the past races IMO. There is no doubt McLaren is second best or even best right now though, just that a widening of the operating window and getting better at putting some energy into the tyres could go a long way.
In Imola the gap was made to look smaller than it actually is, McLaren's pace was being limited by the higher than expected track temp on Sunday. Likewise Red Bull's potential was being limited by the kerbs.

dia6olo wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 15:19
Xyz22 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 14:59
You guys saw how quick the McL was on inters? The difference with the others was embarrassing. In the second part of the first stint even Piastri who usually struggles with tyre management was lapping way faster than both MB and RB. Crazy stuff considering how dominant the RB19 and RB18 were in these conditions.
McLaren currently have a car that appears to generate very good tyre heat, it is very evident in cool conditions.
However, there is a good chance of that translating into a car that is going to overheat the tyres in warmer conditions resulting in degradation.
We have yet to see the McLaren in warmer climates on tracks were degradation is a thing.
Mercedes themselves have also liked the cooler conditions for the best part of 2/3 years now and looked somewhat capable in those conditions only to disappear again in normal conditions...

There is a long way to go and things will change again and again, the only thing I don't really see changing is that Red Bull and Max will still win the bulk of the remaining races.
Mercedes does have a wear weakness, you could see it in Montreal also. McLaren no longer does, you don't go that fast with inters on a dry track if you have a car that overheats tires. Also, Miami had high temps and their deg was good. In Imola it was just a setup issue because of the higher than expected temp on Sunday, not because their car can't run in those conditions.

jambuka wrote:
That means Ferrari can fight with McLaren as the gap is about 0.2s/lap. Provided they don't bring any upgrades themselves.

Cs98
Cs98

wowgr8 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 10:02
Cassius wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 09:32

But do we need a driver that's faster than Leclerc? Red Bull don't need a driver that's faster than Max. Two very fast drivers is great in midfield where the team comes first, not at the sharp end where it's about wins and titles. Marketing wise? Awesome! Sporting wise I think keeping Sainz would've been the FAR better decision. It's a shame just when the team looks like it's headed in the right direction the higher ups have to meddle with things and potentially shatter the team harmony that's been built.
But it will be oh so entertaining to watch. For the racing, for the drama, for the reactions on forums and socials :lol:

dia6olo
dia6olo

Sidewinder wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 13:17
Mercedes does have a wear weakness, you could see it in Montreal also. McLaren no longer does, you don't go that fast with inters on a dry track if you have a car that overheats tires. Also, Miami had high temps and their deg was good. In Imola it was just a setup issue because of the higher than expected temp on Sunday, not because their car can't run in those conditions.
As I see it, McLaren's inter stint was on a cold track and McLaren's Miami tyre performance was on a track with little degradation.
For me it still remains to be seen how they are on their tyres in warm conditions on a track were degradation is a thing.
Last edited by dia6olo on 12 Jun 2024, 18:51, edited 2 times in total.