2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 22:58
Some clips. As I said, bit hard to fully judge given some camera angles, like the Merc one blocks out the front with with the halo, but for what its worth.... (taken from qualifying.)

Thanks... Nicely Done...

mclaren111

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 01:16
BMMR61 wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 00:37
On an overall philosophical level, Red Bull have for a couple of years stolen a march on it's competitors with design advantages that weren't always totally clear. Hard to legislate against that. But if flex is observable, then measurable, there's at least the possibility of an FIA reaction, that is, a change. Personally I doubt there will be an FIA change at this stage as it's not one team, and the playing field is getting close to level. Merc's new front wing does appear to be more a flow through to the rest of the aero surfaces concept, rather than what was in 2021 determined as subverting the spirit of the rules. Please correct where you believe I have this wrong.
Without wanting to get into conspiracies, it is really only when Mercedes complains that things get done. If Ferrari or Red Bull complain, nothing will get done. Mercedes was a leading actor in the Ferrari PU saga of 2019, Red Bull's rear wings in 2021, Red Bull's pit stops in 2021, and the floor changes for 2022, Aston's wing last year, etc etc.

If it's not an issue for Mercedes, it is not likely to change.

=D> =D>

chrisc90

mwillems wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 10:01
This could certainly be part of it, it is hard to tell. But I'm sure a lot of videos will be being produced over the next few weeks so all will become clear.

It would be great to get some Pre-Miami footage... Wink wink Chris, if that isn't being too cheeky 😁😂

Where do you get the footage from, I'd do it myself if I had any idea where to get all the pictures and videos that everyone on here seems to find.
Heres one of Oscars Chinese Quali runs.

Lando in Japan (which looks a lot firmer)

mwillems

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 19:48
mwillems wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 10:01
This could certainly be part of it, it is hard to tell. But I'm sure a lot of videos will be being produced over the next few weeks so all will become clear.

It would be great to get some Pre-Miami footage... Wink wink Chris, if that isn't being too cheeky 😁😂

Where do you get the footage from, I'd do it myself if I had any idea where to get all the pictures and videos that everyone on here seems to find.
Heres one of Oscars Chinese Quali runs.

https://streamable.com/eatte7

Lando in Japan (which looks a lot firmer)

https://streamable.com/aqw3m4
Huge thanks for posting that Chris.

It's flexing a fair amount before the Miami wing so this isn't a new phenomenon, and there is a clear difference between Mclaren and any of the other cars you posted.

Definitely one to watch.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

chrisc90

I did look at the Japan clip and thought it didnt look anywhere near as bad. But without knowing if the front wings are high/med/low downforce it could have differing levels of 'flex'.

I guess the teams will have more data and camera angles to them than we do. Rare teams will complain without something to be substantial in their claims.

One to watch for sure.

mwillems

I thought the Japan video showed the wing less ready to flex, but ultimately flexed by the same amount when hitting the highest speeds.

On another note we know that the FIA were looking at the cars in Canada and Red Bull spoke about it publicly later, but this doesn't mean that Red Bull were the ones to initially raise this with the FIA, it could well be Ferrari or anyone else who were the first to broach it with the FIA. For all I know Red Bull only spoke about it when asked directly by a Journo. Not that it matters. The FIA will either clamp down, or not and if they did, I don't think we'd be able to call it unfair. But there are plenty more videos to come that might change this perspective yet.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 23:13
On another note we know that the FIA were looking at the cars in Canada and Red Bull spoke about it publicly later, but this doesn't mean that Red Bull were the ones to initially raise this with the FIA, it could well be Ferrari or anyone else who were the first to broach it with the FIA. For all I know Red Bull only spoke about it when asked directly by a Journo. Not that it matters. The FIA will either clamp down, or not and if they did, I don't think we'd be able to call it unfair. But there are plenty more videos to come that might change this perspective yet.
Formu1a.uno has gathered from sources close to the environment that the engineers of Milton Keynes, under the supervision of Paul Monaghan, have especially kept an eye on the new Mercedes front wing introduced in Monaco, and then promoted with flying colors on both pilots in Canada. An unofficial request would have been submitted to the FIA ​​technical office to monitor the flexions that occur at the ends of the front wing and in the nose of the W15.
https://formu1a.uno/it/red-bull-ha-mess ... -mercedes/

mwillems

Fair enough, looks like it is RB!

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mclaren and Norris have had incredible consistency and reliability this year.
A lion must kill its prey.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It is interesting to read your posts about the bending McLaren front wing. I paid attention to this last year when I watched the onboard of the Suzuka race from Lando. I took photos at different points where the maximum and minimum speeds were, as well as in relation to the fuel load in the early phase of the race and later. Even then it was clear how much the upper flaps were bending. As far as I remember, no one at all reacted on the forum. The updated front wing bends more or less the same as the previous specification. I look at the onboards after each race from all four top teams. In the race on the Mercedes onboard you could see the camera angle near the front wing. There you can also see a large range of flap bending under load.

If I recall, Ferrari and Red Bull bend the least. McLaren and Mercedes bend the most. If McLaren's front wing passes all the load tests, then the part complies with the regulations and can be allowed in qualifying and the race without the threat of disqualification.

Sorry for the off-topic, but Helmut Marko recently said that it's already hard for them to extract additional speed, since they've already squeezed almost the maximum out of these regulations. Therefore, it's understandable and logical that now they want to maintain their leadership, putting spokes in the wheels of their rivals.

Regarding further McLaren updates: I am glad to hear that there will be some updates already in Barcelona. Maybe these are the same updates that are locally designed for slow corners? And it may even be good that they will be able to bring small updates, but do it more often. The basic design of the car is already done. It remains to polish here and there.

mwillems

The flexing has a different context now the FIA may be looking at it. Good spot from before.

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mwillems wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 22:18
The flexing has a different context now the FIA may be looking at it. Good spot from before.
I’d agree. The issue I have is that the degree of flex is now becoming a ridiculous topic. How much is too much? All wings flex & depends where hinge points are etc surely the flex/rigidity test should be sorted by now in terms of what they’re looking for

organic

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 10:47
mwillems wrote:
I’d agree. The issue I have is that the degree of flex is now becoming a ridiculous topic. How much is too much? All wings flex & depends where hinge points are etc surely the flex/rigidity test should be sorted by now in terms of what they’re looking for
That's why RB are asking for clarification. Clearly there's a varying amount across the grid and RB is asking the FIA if this is all allowed.

Relatively speaking, they made a large clampdown on this region recently, at the end of last season. But we're not privy to exactly what the contents of TD018 are

RB could be thinking that if FIA tells them the flex is allowed then they will build it. They can be asking for FIA to investigate and see if teams have found ways around TD018 using previous methods. Or they can also be asking FIA to clamp down on new ways of skirting the flexing rules that may require a new TD altogether.. a lot we dont know and just have to wait for more to come out. Last year there were rumours of Aston Martin flexi wing being actioned upon and it took almost 6 months until the TD018 was put in publicly so we might be waiting a while

Emag
Emag

McLaren wings definitely flex a lot and they have been flexing for a while, but obviously they have passed whatever test FIA currently has as standard for measuring how much flex is acceptable.

It could be they decide this is too much flex anyway and they introduce a new directive. If that's the case, I am hoping McLaren is prepared with an alternative which doesn't sacrifice too much performance.

What's interesting is that from onboards, only McLaren's front wing shows two of the upper elements on low speeds, whereas on the other team's onboards, the most you can see is the top flap. If the camera positioning is the same for all, then the geometry at McLaren is quite a bit different, and they are running much loaded front wings compared to competitors.

It's maybe their way of brute forcing some front end downforce with a small drag penalty which get's minimized further due to the excessive flex down the straights.

Tomsky
Tomsky

organic wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 10:48
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 10:47
mwillems wrote:
That's why RB are asking for clarification. Clearly there's a varying amount across the grid and RB is asking the FIA if this is all allowed.

Relatively speaking, they made a large clampdown on this region recently, at the end of last season. But we're not privy to exactly what the contents of TD018 are

RB could be thinking that if FIA tells them the flex is allowed then they will build it. They can be asking for FIA to investigate and see if teams have found ways around TD018 using previous methods. Or they can also be asking FIA to clamp down on new ways of skirting the flexing rules that may require a new TD altogether.. a lot we dont know and just have to wait for more to come out. Last year there were rumours of Aston Martin flexi wing being actioned upon and it took almost 6 months until the TD018 was put in publicly so we might be waiting a while
RB use the flexi wing themselves