2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dunlay
Dunlay

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Fakepivot wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 08:26
Dunlay wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 07:01
Wasn't Charles the fastest driver in 2022 Hungarian GP? Did he win? That's Ferrari. Max never have to challenge his strategists as they have an established track record of getting it absolutely right, close to perfection. You have seen drivers like Sainz, George and even Max in his early years forcing their engineers to change the strategic directions and benefiting from it. More than at any other team, its Ferrari where a driver has to think through his cockpit to not get screwed by their comedy club.
right lets use what happened like 2 years as an example. :roll:
Ok. Let's yake the most recent example. Canada. Putting wrong tyres and getting penalty. Not putting new slicks and getting out of Q2.

Dunlay
Dunlay

JPower wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 12:37
Sphere3758 wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 11:11
Dunlay wrote:
More races have been won by NOT doing what Pirelli recommends. They say one thing and their tires do another.

Wasn't Charles the fastest driver in 2022 Hungarian GP? Did he win? That's Ferrari. Max never have to challenge his strategists as they have an established track record of getting it absolutely right, close to perfection. You have seen drivers like Sainz, George and even Max in his early years forcing their engineers to change the strategic directions and benefiting from it. More than at any other team, its Ferrari where a driver has to think through his cockpit to not get screwed by their comedy club.
When Carlos and George are behind their teammates in races, they are vocal about strategy because all they care about is finishing ahead of their teammate .

Both Lewis and Charles fundamentally don’t care about beating their teammate, they want to beat their competition from other teams.

Let me put this another way. If you were to give any team the 2 options
1) You get to pick and choose any strategists from across all teams to build your dream team
2) You keep the same strategy team but get a car a tenth faster than everyone on all tracks.

What do you think they go for :) ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Option 1. Get the better strategy team. That one tenth gets lost in the harakiri of the strategy team's stupidities.
Last edited by Dunlay on 15 Jun 2024, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Max did the exact same thing and barely got through in his final Q2 attempt. Ferrari startegy team got a thorough cleansing since Vasseur got in and have gotten the best possible results with the car they had in every race this year, even in Canada. Leclerc had a PU software glitch and Sainz' car was damaged in two places anway, neither driver could have fought for anything more than P9 or P10.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dia6olo
dia6olo

Sphere3758 wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 11:11
Dunlay wrote:
Sphere3758 wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 05:31
If you have a car 2 tenths faster than the rest, both Lewis and Charles can win most races by just following Pirelli’s recommended strategy.
More races have been won by NOT doing what Pirelli recommends. They say one thing and their tires do another.

When Carlos and George are behind their teammates in races, they are vocal about strategy because all they care about is finishing ahead of their teammate .

Both Lewis and Charles fundamentally don’t care about beating their teammate, they want to beat their competition from other teams.

Let me put this another way. If you were to give any team the 2 options
1) You get to pick and choose any strategists from across all teams to build your dream team
2) You keep the same strategy team but get a car a tenth faster than everyone on all tracks.

What do you think they go for :) ?
Option 2 (faster car) all day long!
The faster car will win most of the races and the strategy is as you have said before overblown.

What we perceive as strategy incompetence/errors, are in most cases gambles.
And teams gamble because they don't have the car to win/compete against their nearest rivals.

It's no coincident Ferrari strategy looked solid for the opening 3/4 races, it's because they were in no mans land, they were not up to Red Bull pace but well clear of any threat from behind, no gambling was required.
The tighter it is the more teams will gamble simply because if you don't nothing is likely to change.
Red Bull is the only team that has not needed to gamble and still don't for the best part of 2 plus years.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

i mean if all you do is call names like clown, or comedy show then head over to r/formuladank you will be better suited there.. so far Ferrari has not made big strategist error even when they have made like in cota they have admited the error.. stuff happenes move on, we don't know all that happens and the data they base there decision on.. i mean people in this thread speak like mclaren don't ever make mistake but remind me what happened in zandvoort last year? they left him in slicks and told him he was faster than other.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dia6olo
dia6olo

Fakepivot wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 15:09
i mean if all you do is call names like clown, or comedy show then head over to r/formuladank you will be better suited there.. so far Ferrari has not made big strategist error even when they have made like in cota they have admited the error.. stuff happenes move on, we don't know all that happens and the data they base there decision on.. i mean people in this thread speak like mclaren don't ever make mistake but remind me what happened in zandvoort last year? they left him in slicks and told him he was faster than other.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is a largish slice of the media that have a thing for highlighting anything and everything that is "questionable" with everything Ferrari F1, and a lot of the public just go with it and join in, in the stirring.
That's not to say Ferrari don't make errors because they do and could clearly do better.
But for the most part everything is exaggerated because it's Ferrari with the media playing a significant part in the exaggerating.

f1316
f1316

The good news is that Ferrari continues to set the standard in the pinnacle of motorsports, scoring back to back wins and getting stronger and stronger…. It’s in Le Mans and not F1, but still!

Back in F1, I don’t think there’s really much to genuinely complain about on a macro level this season. We didn’t go from struggling to dominating but who thought we would? The real test is how we kick on from here. Does the new floor deliver as expected? Will the Silverstone upgrade do the same? The most important thing is trajectory. If they can win another 2-3 races this year, it will be a massive success and I’ll be happier if we’re still competitive at the end of the year vs doing well to begin with and then dropping off. Strategy team is fine and the most important thing is that the car is fast - everything gets easier if that’s the case.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

f1316 wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 19:30
The good news is that Ferrari continues to set the standard in the pinnacle of motorsports, scoring back to back wins and getting stronger and stronger…. It’s in Le Mans and not F1, but still!

Back in F1, I don’t think there’s really much to genuinely complain about on a macro level this season. We didn’t go from struggling to dominating but who thought we would? The real test is how we kick on from here. Does the new floor deliver as expected? Will the Silverstone upgrade do the same? The most important thing is trajectory. If they can win another 2-3 races this year, it will be a massive success and I’ll be happier if we’re still competitive at the end of the year vs doing well to begin with and then dropping off. Strategy team is fine and the most important thing is that the car is fast - everything gets easier if that’s the case.
Le Mans isn't remotely the 'pinnacle of motorsport'. Getting to the top in F1 is much, much harder cuz the competition is tougher and the requirements are just generally a lot more demanding in terms of performance.

Good for Ferrari for winning(helped a lot by that race incident of the #51 car...), but it pales in comparison to winning the F1 championship in terms of accomplishments.

yooogurt

:shock:
FORZA FERRARI!

bluechris

Seanspeed wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 20:50
f1316 wrote:

Le Mans isn't remotely the 'pinnacle of motorsport'. Getting to the top in F1 is much, much harder cuz the competition is tougher and the requirements are just generally a lot more demanding in terms of performance.

Good for Ferrari for winning(helped a lot by that race incident of the #51 car...), but it pales in comparison to winning the F1 championship in terms of accomplishments.
So you think this is a small feat? To come after 50 years and do back to back wins? What does this say for the team? How high you need to be technology, mechanical, strategy etc to do that?
To me this is great news and raise Ferrari alot in my eyes and gives me hope for F1 also.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Seanspeed wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Comparing endurance racing to F1 is like comparing apples to oranges.

catent

DoctorRadio wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 22:48
Seanspeed wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Comparing endurance racing to F1 is like comparing apples to oranges.
Never pass up a good (or bad) opportunity to lob an insult at Ferrari’s competency, I suppose.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

bluechris wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 22:00
So you think this is a small feat? To come after 50 years and do back to back wins? What does this say for the team? How high you need to be technology, mechanical, strategy etc to do that?
To me this is great news and raise Ferrari alot in my eyes and gives me hope for F1 also.
Why are people so poorly adapted to accepting nuance?

Just because I argue that winning Le Mans isn't the absolute pinnacle of motorsports achievements does not mean I think it's some negligible accomplishment. There's a whole world of middle ground there, and I certainly do not rate it lowly at all. It's impressive for sure, though I would also argue Ferrari were a bit fortunate in terms of the lead Toyota losing around 40 seconds or so because of the #51 Ferrari spinning it, which probably made the deciding difference.

And we cant ignore that Ferrari were granted a nice BoP boost for Le Mans, and have not won a single WEC race outside these Le Mans races. Just saying. Even Toyota decided to not risk it all for the win and told their drivers to take it easy at the end for the sake of the series championship they will undoubtedly win.

At the end of the day, the whole operation and situation of Ferrari in WEC is basically completely unrelated to F1. And in fact, we should hope so, cuz Toyota have the best car in WEC and BoP is the only thing making the races seem closer than they otherwise would be.

F1 has none of that. And rightfully so, cuz it's a real competition. Ferrari need to actually win on pure merit, and that's a much harder thing to do, especially with how much tougher the competition is and how much more money get poured into this, even with the budget cap.

F1 is the pinnacle. You can accept winning Le Mans as a greater accomplishment if you want, but I think you're lying to yourself to make up for knowing that they aren't yet good enough to win in F1, yet. Which is itself an admission that you know F1 is harder and more meaningful.

f1316
f1316

Seanspeed wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Well (a) I said it because it worked better for the structure of the joke (b) there is certainly a huge amount of high quality competition in WEC, with more OEMs than F1. The field at Le Mana included: Porsche, Toyota, Cadillac, Alpine, Peugeot, BMW and Lamborghini - arguably one of the more stacked grids in recent memory. And if you think the Ferraris were net “helped” in that race, I don’t think you were really watching as we had a lot of things going against us throughout (penalties, large leads wiped out etc).

It’s a great achievement however you slice it and, as shown here, there’s a reason why it’s so rare for teams succeed in both Le Mans and F1 at the same time. Yes, we still have a way to go to be where we want to be in F1 but the organisation overall in on an upward slant, no doubt about it.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Nice BoP Le Mans boost, Toyota the best car this year, I suppose the man isn’t an expert of WEC and hasn’t watched Imola and Spa, where Ferrari was by far fastest and its top speed was reigned in at Le Mans by the BoP, but they were still fastest in the dry patches of the race.

I’ll leave it here, as it’s OT and it would be cleaned in a moment by the mods, rightfully so.