Flexiwings 2024

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mwillems

Re: Flexiwings 2024

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 20:13
mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 14:50
LM10 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 14:19

What’s that even supposed to mean? :lol:
Which secret?
Might they be considering that the floor could be stalled with a certain amount of flex ?
It's a way of controlling the aero balance - at low/medium speeds the front wing gives good downforce helping the nose turn in. At high speed, the front wing bleeds off some downforce giving a slight bit of understeer which is a desirable thing in a high speed corner.
Yeah but I'm wondering if the wing prevents enough airflow going to the floor it could stall it and reduce drag further.

I get how it reduces drag and ftont DF at higher speeds and returns DF at lower speeds.

I'm just not sure yet how much of the wings flex or drop as the video is limited. Is it just the elements?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

SirBastianVettel wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 10:10
Is it really that difficult to come up with a system for the FIA to measure this correctly so this issue can be solved once and for all.
I guess the only fail safe method would be if they attached sensors to the front wings.

KimiRai
KimiRai

PapayaFan481 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 22:56
SirBastianVettel wrote:
Is it really that difficult to come up with a system for the FIA to measure this correctly so this issue can be solved once and for all.
I guess the only fail safe method would be if they attached sensors to the front wings.
More sensors! For example sensors could not detect some false starts and afaik FIA no longer solely depend on them. Good old eye method others make fun of :D
Last edited by KimiRai on 19 Jun 2024, 03:27, edited 4 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 20:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
mwillems wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 14:50

Might they be considering that the floor could be stalled with a certain amount of flex ?
It's a way of controlling the aero balance - at low/medium speeds the front wing gives good downforce helping the nose turn in. At high speed, the front wing bleeds off some downforce giving a slight bit of understeer which is a desirable thing in a high speed corner.
Yeah but I'm wondering if the wing prevents enough airflow going to the floor it could stall it and reduce drag further.

I get how it reduces drag and ftont DF at higher speeds and returns DF at lower speeds.

I'm just not sure yet how much of the wings flex or drop as the video is limited. Is it just the elements?
One would expect more air being able to reach the floor if the FW trailing edge is lower.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PapayaFan481 wrote:
18 Jun 2024, 22:56
SirBastianVettel wrote:
You could give the teams FIA-supplied front wings. Never going to happen, but it's also a method of preventing excess flex.

Rodak
Rodak

Remember, F1 wind tunnel speeds are limited by regulation to 50m/sec (180 kph. 112 mph) so kudos to the teams if they are able to extrapolate from 112 mph to 210 mph and calculate for wing deflection and develop materials/structures that act as they desire at full speed.

SiLo

Rodak wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 06:07
Remember, F1 wind tunnel speeds are limited by regulation to 50m/sec (180 kph. 112 mph) so kudos to the teams if they are able to extrapolate from 112 mph to 210 mph and calculate for wing deflection and develop materials/structures that act as they desire at full speed.
Sometimes I wonder how much more interesting the sport would be if they had full size wind tunnels and could test at whatever speeds they wanted.
Felipe Baby!

mwillems

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 00:45
mwillems wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

One would expect more air being able to reach the floor if the FW trailing edge is lower.
But is that is all that is lower? Have they got the suspension set up to drop the front sufficiently that the elements are working in tandem with other areas?

Not suggesting that is happening, it is just that there is very limited footage of what the front of the cars are doing at high speeds. Would love to see a frontal pic of the Mclaren at 300kph+ from Canada.

-Bandit

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 11:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
mwillems wrote:

But is that is all that is lower? Have they got the suspension set up to drop the front sufficiently that the elements are working in tandem with other areas?

Not suggesting that is happening, it is just that there is very limited footage of what the front of the cars are doing at high speeds. Would love to see a frontal pic of the Mclaren at 300kph+ from Canada.
Occam's Razor applies.

dialtone
dialtone

The likelihood a flexi wing gives you 1% more performance is very slim at best.

mwillems

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 12:30
mwillems wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 11:22
Just_a_fan wrote:

Occam's Razor applies.
I think I'd prefer to see more than just a tiny view of a little part of the wing that we can see through the Halo to understand the scope of what is being done.

-Bandit

Rodak
Rodak

SiLo wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 10:26
Rodak wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 06:07
Sometimes I wonder how much more interesting the sport would be if they had full size wind tunnels and could test at whatever speeds they wanted.
Yeah, Sauber, a long time ago when they were with BMW, built a state of the art full scale high speed rolling road tunnel. Too bad they can't use that full scale.

Luscion
Luscion

Reached by the oe24 news outlet Helmut Marko made these statements about the flexible wings case raised by Red Bull itself: "Mercedes has a new front wing, and in the TV images for the Canadian GP we can see that they were significantly bent. However, in the technical tests the wings showed that they have the necessary strength. This does not surprise me. I don't know how often we had to check our wings."
"There is a well-defined procedure with weights under which a wing must not bend. It's quite the practice to push everything to the limit so that the wing adapts to the technical checks. Then in the race, the wing is lowered, providing better aerodynamics," Marko added, "In Montreal everything went well, both ours and our competitors'. There will be a new technical verification in Barcelona, Austria and so on. Is it fair to say that Red Bull wants to clip Mercedes' wings? It's a funny pun, it has something satirical about it, but only the FIA can do that."

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... mmagini-tv

organic

The interviewer asks mundane questions so receives mundane answers

chrisc90

Extra checks?