2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Elite
Elite

Re: 2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

If I was a team principal I would never take Sainz. A mid tier driver with a bunch of unnecessary and disruptive politicians who follow him around :wtf:

Jambier

Someone thinks that Williams will have Antonelli ?

I hope they don't hire OCO, but SAI would be a good pick, and as some others I think Williams is a much better choice than Audi, I believe Audi will take a lot of time to be a good team

JPower
JPower

Looks like Sainz to Williams is a done deal.

Hope the car is decent next year. Would hate to see him and Albon floundering around at the back of the pack.

Has to be their best driver lineup since Bottas and Massa at the very least.

McMika98
McMika98

James Vowles is getting such a pass by everyone, helps that he is a sweet talking enchanter. He should be sacked by now, pathetic that last year's car was almost as fast as this years. He got all the credit for a car built by his predecessors who got on the job, no excuses and chipped at it but were sacked. Yet Vowles has a car that is now the weakest in the field.

Last year they stopped development early after Canada to focus on this year's car and it is a dog shite. How you build a 12 kg lighter chassis only to make a car at least 10 kg over the weight limit. Why isn't anyone asking the question. Surely just use last year's parts and they should be well under the weight limit.

Albon low-key has said in couple of races that he wanted to try to run last year's car aero package to see if might be quicker. Now they are already focusing on next year like they did last year, don't be surprised if they cancel that and say 2026 is the goal. Fool me once.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Vowles categorically said they would have to take short term backward steps to get the long term benefit to move back towards the front. He seems very pragmatic about that and I suspect he is elevating things behind the scenes.

I believe in the Williams trajectory and the fact Albon and now possibly Sainz are listening- let alone signing- are big signs.

Give them time- now is not the time to judge.

JPower
JPower

Mansell89 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 00:42
Vowles categorically said they would have to take short term backward steps to get the long term benefit to move back towards the front. He seems very pragmatic about that and I suspect he is elevating things behind the scenes.

I believe in the Williams trajectory and the fact Albon and now possibly Sainz are listening- let alone signing- are big signs.

Give them time- now is not the time to judge.
Agreed.

The project looks fairly strong to me. Hopefully the '25 car will start showing the results of massive infrastructure changes they've been making across the past 2 seasons.

ME4ME

McMika98 wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:50
James Vowles is getting such a pass by everyone, helps that he is a sweet talking enchanter. He should be sacked by now, pathetic that last year's car was almost as fast as this years. He got all the credit for a car built by his predecessors who got on the job, no excuses and chipped at it but were sacked. Yet Vowles has a car that is now the weakest in the field.

Last year they stopped development early after Canada to focus on this year's car and it is a dog shite. How you build a 12 kg lighter chassis only to make a car at least 10 kg over the weight limit. Why isn't anyone asking the question. Surely just use last year's parts and they should be well under the weight limit.

Albon low-key has said in couple of races that he wanted to try to run last year's car aero package to see if might be quicker. Now they are already focusing on next year like they did last year, don't be surprised if they cancel that and say 2026 is the goal. Fool me once.
Williams could've continued working as hard as they could with the ineffective processes they had, but it would merely maximize the outcome of a hopeless way of working.

Better to introduce some changes under the leadership of a vastly experienced person who knows what it takes to succeed, take an initial hit in performance and trust that the new way of working proves more effective over time.

I do agree with you that the weight issue is hard to excuse. They have clearly overreached in trying to produce a top chassis while neglecting other areas of the car.

It's slightly concerning because Vowles might've pushed for this himself. Coming from Mercedes, he might've assumed that other aspects of the car get sorted out in the background while the main focus is put on bringing the chassis up to state-of-the-art standards. Such was the in-depth talent and capacity at Mercedes. Now at Williams, he has to spread the teams attention and balance their time and resources. The over-capacity that he was used to simply isn't there at Williams.

Ultimately though, we don't have all the facts and we shouldn't underestimate Vowles. He and Pat Fry might've planned for them to re-use the 24 chassis in 25 which makes sense. They'll be able to sort out all the other overweight bits throughout the season and through the winter.

McMika98
McMika98

ME4ME wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 12:04
It's slightly concerning because Vowles might've pushed for this himself. Coming from Mercedes, he might've assumed that other aspects of the car get sorted out in the background while the main focus is put on bringing the chassis up to state-of-the-art standards.
Mercedes has massively struggled in this formula so his Merc years don't really count for anything. If you nail the regs, it does not matter if you use excel, outsource machining, the car will be fast. Williams reverted to Red Bull philosophy early whilst Merc persisted on a flawed concept.
Today showed just how poor the car is. For Haas to switch concept last year, not even make their chassis and be miles ahead is unexcusable. Everyone is expecting too much from Sargeant to match the miracles Albon has been performing. They should be putting all the pressure on Vowles and his pathetic excuses.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sevach
Sevach

search

if they did Quali on Mediums every week, Sargeant would be up there with the best ;)

Wombert
Wombert

Special Union Jack Livery, featuring the names of all 1005 members of the team, for the British GP: https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/d59553 ... ilverstone

ME4ME

Upside: Sponsor names stand out with that livery.
Downside: Its clear they haven't got that many.

abhi1200
abhi1200

As per Clarkson Adrain Newey is on the way to William. As William is based in grove Oxfordshire team.

TwanV
TwanV

I would not be surprised and delighted if he will go full circle thirty years after. Fingers crossed