Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
andrew1984
andrew1984

Re: Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup

The Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup is a great series. It is more than cars burning rubber and fuel. It is showcasing and developing, current and future technologies. Motorsports is the forefront of technology!

Cheers!

Ciro Pabón

I'd say that opinions are divided about this thread. Some people ask me to close it, some want to close the series.

Anyway, as I see no obvious commercial links, best wishes about your racing effort. I skipped through the posts, but I couldn't (I have no magnifier at hand) understand how Andrew's doing... so, how are you doing? Is a Ferrari seat in your future? I hope so, btw.

A video would be nice, to watch you in action. The specs are a beginning, could you share some racing tips with other racers in the forum?
Ciro

andrew1984
andrew1984

I have some video and things I can put up in the next few..

I should be 7th or 8th in the standings after my 3rd place finish @ Mosport.

I have been approached by several, some being Grand Am - Cool stuff!

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, Andrew. 3rd place at Mosport? 8) My most sincere and admiring Congratulations, with a capital "C". What about some tips?

For example: are you competing with your own car or did you enter a established team? How much money have you invested to compete? What's the key to be competitive in that series? How did you get the sponsors you have? Who's the guy to beat?

And, over all, how did you start to race? What moves you? ;) Are you the first in your family or there are a few Cordeiros in the standings already? Is your family from Portugal or Brazil?

Finally, most important question for our members: is your fan club organized already? I think there are several guys around that would volunteer to manage the "pitbabe aspect" of your career. There are some notions about their uniform our members definitely have, so, just in case you decide to post the video, use the one where they appear.
Ciro

tk421

Ciro Pabón wrote:I'd say that opinions are divided about this thread. Some people ask me to close it, some want to close the series.
I think it's fine: a kid is doing some racing and he wants to document it and share it somewhere. And good for him--a lot of the people on this forum probably only do sim-racing; at least he's out there in a real car. And it is, of course, an "Other Racing Series." Mosport is a great track, BTW!
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

andrew1984
andrew1984

Ciro Pabón wrote:Thanks, Andrew. 3rd place at Mosport? 8) My most sincere and admiring Congratulations, with a capital "C". What about some tips?

For example: are you competing with your own car or did you enter a established team? How much money have you invested to compete? What's the key to be competitive in that series? How did you get the sponsors you have? Who's the guy to beat?

And, over all, how did you start to race? What moves you? ;) Are you the first in your family or there are a few Cordeiros in the standings already? Is your family from Portugal or Brazil?

Finally, most important question for our members: is your fan club organized already? I think there are several guys around that would volunteer to manage the "pitbabe aspect" of your career. There are some notions about their uniform our members definitely have, so, just in case you decide to post the video, use the one where they appear.

Mosport, to me, is mostly about being fearless. Tighten your cheeks and believe that you can do it. If you second guess yourself then you will end up in the wall. It is an awesome track to drive!

Are you talking about the CORDEIRO shirts?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Taken at Pole Position raceway in Las Vegas.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet
Giblet

The iRacing simulation has the TDI cup in it. The winner of the online series is awarded a real life test that can lead to a drive.

"iRacing's VW Jetta TDI Cup Series is a primary gateway to the SCCA Pro Racing VW Jetta TDI Cup Series, a leading arena for aspiring professional race drivers between the ages of 16 and 26 residing in the United States, Mexico and Canada. Unique among iRacing's long list of series, success here can lead to a chance to race in the real world - free of charge!

Every year, an elite group of emerging young drivers is selected to compete in the Jetta TDI Cup series, and the iRacing version of the series is an integral component in the selection process for the 2010 season and beyond. The top 100 qualified drivers in the virtual TDI Cup Series will be invited to VW TDI Cup Series driver selection process. The highest-placed young North American in the iRacing VW Jetta TDI Cup Series will automatically qualify for a spot in the pro series' Final Selection Event. Assuming he or she emerges from the three days physical fitness evaluation, media training and track time as one of the Selection Event's finalists, they will be awarded a fully-sponsored ride in the 2010 SCCA Pro Racing VW Jetta TDI Cup Series.

So if you are between the ages of 16-26 (and live in the US, Mexico or Canada) by January 1st, 2010, and have ever dreamed of becoming a professional racecar driver, here's your chance. Even if you have no aspirations of being a professional racing driver, the VW TDI Cup Series offers you the chance to match your driving skills with the exhilarating performance of iRacing’s first front-wheel-drive car, one featuring a 2.0-liter, 170 hp, four-cylinder TDI clean diesel mated to a six-speed, double-clutch, automatic DSG transmission. "

Yeah I know I keep pumping the iRacing, but if you are a sim fan and haven't tried it you owe yourself :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew1984
andrew1984

I've been on the Iracing several times. It is great fun and fairly realistic. Obviously nothing beats the real thing but from your couch or desk, it's cool!

Giblet
Giblet

Thanks Andrew, have you driven the TDI on the same track as in the sim?

I read you have raced Mosport, and now that track is offered.

I would be very curious to see what your times would be like in comparison.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew1984
andrew1984

i havent tried iRacing at Mosport... i should get on it and check it out

andrew1984
andrew1984

Inside Track Racing News, Dirty Air by James Neilson

"Andrew Cordeiro was at his best in heavy traffic in the TDI Cup race at Mosport."

Click link to view article, a great read!

http://makehasteracing.com/PDF/DirtyAir_InsideTrack.pdf

Giblet
Giblet

Nice job Mr. Ruth :)

That podium must have gotten you extremely pumped.

andrew1984
andrew1984

thanks Mr.G ! :)

andrew1984
andrew1984

A short clip of the Jetta TDI Cup race #7 at Mosport 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SRvtjylmQs

More videos @ http://www.MakeHasteRacing.com