WEC 2024

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
michl420
michl420

Re: WEC 2024

If it would rain less, the 50 would not make it. That´s close.

dialtone
dialtone

michl420 wrote:If it would rain less, the 50 would not make it. That´s close.
Ended at 2% fuel, wow. If Toyota didn’t throw the towel it might have been different as well.

1 and 3, pretty good job, next time they could try with fewer penalties.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Apart from the rain pause (most of which i was asleep for anyways :mrgreen: ), this was action packed flag to flag racing! Amazing!

Forza Ferrari!

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

that has to be my longest 50 min of my life.. great last stint from no50 nick Neilsen what a race.... but ferrari had too many penalties and mess-ups, they were favorites in terms of pace imo that car looked extremely good in long straights even with less power

Anyway Forza Ferrari

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

I say it again, WEC and Imsa is absolutely incredible this year. Unbelievable that it’s possible to be on the edge of the seat for at least 20 hours of the race. You don’t need DRS to make great races, you simply need close competition. With a slight rebalancing of the platforms with a little bit less power for the LMHs, it will be perfect going forward.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Tvetovnato wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 20:01
I say it again, WEC and Imsa is absolutely incredible this year. Unbelievable that it’s possible to be on the edge of the seat for at least 20 hours of the race. You don’t need DRS to make great races, you simply need close competition. With a slight rebalancing of the platforms with a little bit less power for the LMHs, it will be perfect going forward.
Artificial 'rebalancing' - aka neutering teams who do a better job - is not what F1 is about.

It's also only 'edge of the seat' by extremely relative standards.

F1 and WEC are very different sports. What works for WEC does not work for F1, and vice versa.

Vanja #66

Very tight race for entire 24h, can't say that for any other other edition I watched since 2008. Always lots of cars within the same lap and under 1 min away from leader, I guess rain and SC periods played their part with that also.

But anyway, very tight between multiple cars. Putting a limit on power and aero in basic rules seems to be doing a lot of good, even if FIA is doing a lot of tweaking with BoP. In the end, two best cars on the podium, even if BoP limited their outright speed as we've seen in Q and Hyperpole fights.

If I have to give the win to a particular "part" of the team it would be drivers. Atypically, Toyota drivers made lots of small errors in the final 60-90 minutes in both cars, while Ferrari drivers made less. Nickelsen was mega in the end, starting with letting go an LMP2 machine in pits to cover a moment of low focus of lollipop guy, to driving a 50 minute stint while saving fuel like a champ. Shame one team had to lose, but it's always like that
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

stephen

Congratulations to Ferrari for winning back to back.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Wouter

Congratulations to Lamborghini Iron Lynx Team!! Great achievement from Daniil Kvyat P10! =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 20:49
Very tight race for entire 24h, can't say that for any other other edition I watched since 2008. Always lots of cars within the same lap and under 1 min away from leader, I guess rain and SC periods played their part with that also.

But anyway, very tight between multiple cars. Putting a limit on power and aero in basic rules seems to be doing a lot of good, even if FIA is doing a lot of tweaking with BoP. In the end, two best cars on the podium, even if BoP limited their outright speed as we've seen in Q and Hyperpole fights.

If I have to give the win to a particular "part" of the team it would be drivers. Atypically, Toyota drivers made lots of small errors in the final 60-90 minutes in both cars, while Ferrari drivers made less. Nickelsen was mega in the end, starting with letting go an LMP2 machine in pits to cover a moment of low focus of lollipop guy, to driving a 50 minute stint while saving fuel like a champ. Shame one team had to lose, but it's always like that
Ferrari drivers were making some pretty big mistakes too in that last 2 hours. Including one that involved spinning the lead Toyota that probably ruined their entire opportunity to win. Watching onboard, I also noticed that some big moments got completely missed by the main broadcast, including the #50 car almost binning it completely with like 45 minutes to go.

Drivers were dealing with some incredible conditions as a whole though, and it's wild there was no major incident or anything creating a safety car in those last couple hours.

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Jun 2024, 20:49

This is the first time that more than 3 cars finished on the lead lap, crazy.
Things were tense up until the finish line.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Well done Ferrari, I watched a good chunk of it and they could have won that a lot easier but for way to many penalties, they also got some breaks with safety cars and other incidents but over the 24 hours I'd say they net lost out with the favourable breaks.

dialtone
dialtone

dia6olo wrote:Well done Ferrari, I watched a good chunk of it and they could have won that a lot easier but for way to many penalties, they also got some breaks with safety cars and other incidents but over the 24 hours I'd say they net lost out with the favourable breaks.
Safety cars happen all the time in LeMans though, last year was similar, 51 got fairly lucky that they were almost lapped but SC came out before night time. But they also never lucked out on pit stops and slow zones or slow zones in general, in hour 5 Toyota somehow avoided multiple slow zones entirely while Ferrari got them all, netting about 2:30 minutes for Toyota.

51 contact with 8 wasn’t too different than 7 contact with 51 at dunlop a few minutes later, different outcome of course but still not even an investigation for Toyota when a part from the Ferrari clearly flew off after contact.

About the door being stuck, Cadillac and Toyota both drove stints with the wiper blades missing in the rain, which to me is an even bigger safety risk than a door that opens on slowish left handers but is neatly closed on straights and most other corners, likely the reason why it took so long to notice for the race director.

It was a great race though, luck played a part like it usually does in endurance racing and how it did against Ferrari in imola and spa or last year with the radiator on car 50 which clearly deserved to win last year as well. Fuoco is an absolute monster in the dry. Kevin Estre, Kobayashi and Fuoco are without a doubt my top 3 of Le Mans in terms of exciting driving, that Kobayashi-Estre duel was pure gold.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The dirt and grit creates streamlines on the body. It is interesting to see that air is being sucked into these small inlets just in front of the exhaust outlets.

The Ferrari really has an organic shape at the rear.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP