2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Interesting

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

A shame both drivers were unable to improve on their last lap. I feel that Mercedes gained on first runs due to them being later on (track evolution) and I expected to get P1 with the last lap. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

But I am still very confident about tomorrow. The car was very quick and I expect it to be much better in the race compared to Mercedes. McLaren has more downforce and with their general better tyre handling it should be enough to beat them. Verstappen is a question mark. If he had genuine damage to his floor and they are able to replace it without a penalty (probalby), he is going to be dangerous. Good that we have both cars up there.

f1rules
f1rules

With the increase in rw i quess we should hope for rain

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

f1rules wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 19:48
With the increase in rw i quess we should hope for rain
We dont need rain. We can even win purely. C’mon guys

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

Dunno when was the last time I was so upset but cmon....now RBR is beatable ( just like in the previous races ) but here comes the Mercedes from its ashes just to beat us. Seems like we are the papaya Ferrari with two "sorry I made a mistake" drivers!
Hope tomorrow they show something to cheer for
Last edited by Ir3NiCuS on 06 Jul 2024, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I know the drivers made some mistakes in q3, and they screwed Oscar sending him out late, but no one in the top improved their laps other than Mercedes, I don't think pole was in the cars.

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:10
I know the drivers made some mistakes in q3, and they screwed Oscar sending him out late, but no one in the top improved their laps other than Mercedes, I don't think pole was in the cars.

Irrelevant what others were doing. When you make mistakes it's clear there was opportunity to do better, but they didn't.

As for rain tomorrow, it's absolutely not something you would want. Just adds too much randomness to the race. If you have the pace, you win in the dry, no need for random shenanigans where you might even end up off the podium.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

If we compare the time in Q3 Lando 2023 and 2024, Lando made up 0.9 seconds. 1.26.0 against 1.26.9. I think it's decent. The conditions in qualifying were similar. Wet conditions turned into dry ones.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dafnalina wrote:
Improvements on 2nd Run:
Russell
Hamilton
Verstappen
Hulkenberg
Stroll
Albon

No improvement on 2nd run:
Norris
Piastri (bad outlap, was 1 second behind Sainz the whole way)
Alonso (track limits)
Sainz (bad outlap)

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Emag wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:12
Dafnalina wrote:

Irrelevant what others were doing. When you make mistakes it's clear there was opportunity to do better, but they didn't.

As for rain tomorrow, it's absolutely not something you would want. Just adds too much randomness to the race. If you have the pace, you win in the dry, no need for random shenanigans where you might even end up off the podium.
If there's no rain, then this is Mercedes' win in the bag. They were faster than McLaren and RB in the dry in Canada

BMMR61

I'm sick of people bashing our drivers. Tricky conditions, the team let them down (again) with this very basic error for their final run. From the other side of the world I could see they needed two lap tyre prep else they wouldn't improve their times. Oscar left the pits with less than 2 minutes to go - come ON! This should have been a front row lockout for papaya. When you have the fastest car and you keep not maximising he result you just throw away the opportunity you've worked five years for. Nevertheless, it's time to sit back and enjoy the fact we are now fighting for wins and podiums every weekend.

CjC
CjC

Ir3NiCuS wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:05
Dunno when was the last time I was so upset but cmon....now RBR is beatable ( just like in the previous races ) but here comes the Mercedes from its ashes just to beat us. Seems like we are the papaya Ferrari with two "sorry I made a mistake" drivers!
Hope tomorrow they show something to cheer for
That’s the life of a Mclaren fan right?
Even in the midfield years, on a weekend where Mclaren were faster than Renault…. The pink Mercs would be ahead and vise versa.
Even when McLaren broke out of the midfield in ‘21, Ferrari eventually got well ahead of them.

Like I say though, if it was dry, hot and sunny today we be sat here probably P2 4 or 5ths off Max’ pole so I don’t know what is worse lamenting Mercs upturn in performance or the same old - same old :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I think tomorrow we can work our way to a better result, certainly norris. I believe both drivers will start on the better side of the grid? Quite possible they both jump a place at the start and from there I don't see a merc sailing off into the distance but I can see Russell pushing too hard too early on and suffering later.

Will be a very bunched and tight race with very little field spread between the top 5.

All to play for. A win would be fantastic. Decent chance of gaining good points in the WCC.

Emag
Emag

Dafnalina wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:50
Emag wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:12
Dafnalina wrote:

If there's no rain, then this is Mercedes' win in the bag. They were faster than McLaren and RB in the dry in Canada
That was on a track which changed 3 times. If it was entirely wet on Canada they would have looked much worse, and we don't know how things would have been like if it had been dry from the start.

Forget Canada though, completely different track. If it is dry all the way here, Mercedes is far from having it in the bag. Actually even wet all the way and we are going to have a race here. Anything other than changing conditions basically.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'd prefer a better starting spot and I fully believe the pole was in the cards if Norris didn't make mistakes in last run.

But even with starting P3, I am very optimistic for the race. Having higher downforce should do wonders for their tire wear. If the race is dry, McLaren can fight by having better tires. If the race is wet, McLaren has more downforce for such a track.

Mercedes definitely improved their one lap pace but their improvement in race pace is not as good. Fight tomorrow is probably against Verstappen for the win.