2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

Had Lando put on mediums, it would have been no contest in the end. Piastri was so quick that it would have been no problem getting past Lewis. But this is part of the game. You need to make the right tyre calls in a race like this, you need to not over-run your pitbox to avoid losing two crucial seconds, you need to know how to bring the soft tyres in perfectly to make sure you have enough in the end. So pace-wise, it was a race lost by McLaren but execution-wise it was won by Hamilton and Mercedes. Verstappen being there in end also shows the depth both he and Hamilton has in situations like these.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:19
Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:17
For the first time since 2020 copse was flat in the race. Verstappen did it a few times after he passed norris. Entry ~300 kmh, apex ~286 kmh.
What causes them to scrub so much speed at the apex? Energy must be consumed somewhere. I wonder if you can compare how much speed each car dropped. I suspect the cars with a better front end scrub less.
That must be the case i think. Less steering angle, less tyre scrub.

I believe they momentarily turn off energy deployment just before the corner, then reactivate it on the exit. This is probably the reason why speed drops so much.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:36
AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:
For the first time since 2020 copse was flat in the race. Verstappen did it a few times after he passed norris. Entry ~300 kmh, apex ~286 kmh.
What causes them to scrub so much speed at the apex? Energy must be consumed somewhere. I wonder if you can compare how much speed each car dropped. I suspect the cars with a better front end scrub less.
That must be the case i think. Less steering angle, less tyre scrub.

I believe they momentarily turn off energy deployment just before the corner, then reactivate it on the exit. This is probably the reason why speed drops so much.
Would make sense.

Using up your battery pack and tyres during high speed understeer is a waste of energy and rubber.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:
What causes them to scrub so much speed at the apex? Energy must be consumed somewhere.
Turning the car absorbs energy - it's why the tyres heat up, don't forget. Do it at high speed and you absorb lots of energy which means speed reduces markedly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Unc1eM0nty

In the cool down room post race, Lewis asking Lando why he didn't take the new mediums

https://www.skysports.com/f1/video/3372 ... ndo-norris

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Great to see a has-been driver beat his better young-gun team mate and then go on to beat the best driver in the history of the world ever driving a faster car. Quite something for a tired old lag. No wonder he was emotional at setting yet another record.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph
zeph

That was an entertaining race! Even though I’m not a Hamilton fan I am thoroughly delighted by his well deserved win here today. Impressive how RBR/Verstappen manage to salvage second with what was clearly the third best car today, that is how you win championships.

I feel McLaren threw away a potential 1-2 here with their unfortunate pit stops. They need to be on it.

As an Alonso fan I’m still hoping for a miracle, against better judgment.

Aesop
Aesop

Great race, happy for Lewis, and shame on McLaren for not winning today. How many races now they should have won but didn't? Four?
Max coming in second instead of fifth with the third fastest car today thanks to McLaren screwing it up and Georges car failure.
Still a long way to go but we could have had a titlefight already...

JPower
JPower

Shrieker wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:44
Farewell win (if he doesn't win anymore) with Merc, that comes with an improved record and a brand new one, in what was a memorable race in ever changing conditions.

Not bad Lewis, not bad.
I think Mercedes has a great chance at Hungary if this form is real.

They've been on pole the last two seasons there.

chrisc90

Great race. You can see the drivers/teams that have been in situations like these before and know how to operate properly. Mercedes/redbull, Lewis and max, it just shows why they are a tier above the rest.

PlatinumZealot

Norris simply hasn't been in enough fights for the win but he will learn. If we actually think about it, he is immature racing wise and is not really ready to fight for a championship till he gets a few more wins under his belt and doing so in a more commanding fashion too..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 01:09
Norris simply hasn't been in enough fights for the win but he will learn. If we actually think about it, he is immature racing wise and is not really ready to fight for a championship till he gets a few more wins under his belt and doing so in a more commanding fashion too..
Lando has a ton of experience in ultra competitive, basically spec, junior series, more than George, and much more than Max, I’m not sure I can chalk this up as an excuse, and I’d argue he should be more mature in wheel to wheel race craft having spent more time in them.

I think he’s a little flustered being at the front of F1 / being put in these situations, but he is definitely not lacking experience.

Watto
Watto

Hoffman900 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 01:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Lando has a ton of experience in ultra competitive, basically spec, junior series, more than George, and much more than Max, I’m not sure I can chalk this up as an excuse, and I’d argue he should be more mature in wheel to wheel race craft having spent more time in them.

I think he’s a little flustered being at the front of F1 / being put in these situations, but he is definitely not lacking
experience.
I think that is playing a big roll atm, under pressure over shot the pit box caused a slow stop, Under pressure he couldn't bring the softs into their window.

I think if he wasn't fighting for the win he closes Mediums knowing at worst I am 2nd.where I think knowing Lewis was on softs he felt he probably had to make the same choice. I also don't think Max or Lewis would have 'cooked' their tyres that quickly either we saw Lewis managed them pretty well

Dunlay
Dunlay

PlatinumZealot wrote:
What a difference a year makes! Same guy kept a charging Mercedes of Lewis on better tyres behind and took 2nd last year. :lol: He doesn't lack anything in racing terms. The equipment plays a big role and this race, the car didn't do well on Softs. Seems like Medium tyre was better on a green track as Piastri had better pace.

bluechris

I think the dynamics of the teams hasn't changed so much in just one race. The green track that is super smooth in conjunction with the low temperature played the biggest role in yesterday result.
If this trend continues for 2-3 races then for sure we have at least a Mercedes come back but simultaneously we have Haas and AM?
Something doesn't add up here that's why i say what i say above.